It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Travelling with subo
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:56 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi all, I just joined the site so bear with me as I learn the rules..already I have read many great posts , some inspiring , some sad but all real life situations and how this medication can help us fight out addictions..I have been on subo since March of 2009 and although I learnt in the early years that a dose of around 24-28 mg was way too high for me I settled into a good dose of 16 mg fur the last three years..family pressure to stop the medication led me to a reduction from 16 to 10 in three

months ( I really felt the decrease and was not as happy in my life) anyways things started to unravel as work pressures and daily life kicked me about I ended up
Relapsing on cocaine ( btw opiod free since March of
2009) ..I brought my dose back up to 12 right away and been at that level since June of 2015...my point is that I can't let other people tell me what i need medically to survive this nasty disease, only my DR and myself can make those decisions....anyways my orginal question on here was I live in Canada and wanted to know if anyone knew if it was ok to travel ( want to go to NYC) with suboxone?do I need a letter from my DR in Addition to my pill bottle etc proving the medication is mine ..this everyone ..peace

Post subject: Re: Travelling with subo
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:20 am 

Hey bryguy,
Good to have you here. Great job on your recovery. One slip in 6 years is amazing..
Feeling pressure from family can take an addict down. Hang in there and just know that your doing the right thing.

If you have a legal script from a dr you will be fine. If you think a letter from your dr can be of help by all means have him give you one.
More than likely the customs man won't even bother you about it.

Also you could call them and ask what there rules are. Thats what I would do..

Your under a drs care so I dont see an issue. .

Please tells more about your recovery if you can..

Welcome. ...

Razor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:30 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks razor I had read on other sites that I could be arrested etc for bring a controlled substance to a foreign country but you are right I should be able to contact the embassy in Ottawa and find out the details...I do find being on maintenance quite restrictive here in Canada ..with full carries I am still required to sample ( urine once a week maybe more if called in for a random sample) and one monthly appointment to see my nurse and Doctor ...I understand the need for monitoring because my biggest challenge is staying away from powder cocaine which I had struggled with 4 years ( starting subo completely allowed me to stay away from Oxys)..how is the monitoring process where you are , just curious always got the impression it was less restrictive in the states ? I should add as well from my initial post that I have had several dirty samples due to cocaine since I started sub but in the last two and a half years only a hand full so I made progress but of course sub will not help me with that completely...but overall this medication saved my like has allowed me to rebuild my career my relationships that I destroyed etc...can't recommend this enough to people still using opioids

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:48 am 

Hey Bryguy!

I would probably serve you very well to find an addiction therapist who could help you work on your cravings for cocaine. There are a couple of therapy models that have proven to be successful at helping cocaine addicts avoid relapse. Combining both Contingency Management and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy has proven to be particularly effective. In Contingency Management you earn rewards for clean UAs. It might be worth your while to check into finding a therapist who can help keep you motivated to stay away from cocaine.

Cheers,
Amy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:39 pm 

Hi bryguy and welcome to our group. You've been on Suboxone for a year longer than me so you know best what your body requires in dosage. Me, I got comfortable with 6 mg's and like it right where I am. Each person is different.

Two things. 1) I moved your post to a section I thought more appropriate for the subject. 2) In the last few years I've travelled to Africa, Jordan, Iceland, Switzerland, Amsterdam; Holland, and the UK several times. Each time I've had all my meds in their original container and no one ever said a word so don't worry one bit about that one.

If you think your thread should go into a different section please let any moderator know and we'll move it. The one you put it in is reserved for our good on staff doctor.

No worries mate!

rule

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:50 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The one thing I would add is to always take it in your carry-on. I've had a number of patients complain of meds lost from checked luggage, including Suboxone or other buprenorphine products. Along the same line, use the hotel safe if there is one. I once caught the housekeeping staff manager red-faced exiting my room... he was covered with sweat and stumbling for words, saying he was 'checking up on his staff' and asking if 'everything was to my satisfaction.' Amazing service for a Ramada Inn! Of course I would have done the same thing with that type of job, 'back in the day'....

My suitcase had an RX container that had a mix of augmentin and Lexapro in it.... I wondered if he ended up snorting one or the other, just hoping it was something more interesting!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:59 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks for the information in particular I was worried about going to the states ..an old friend of mine was denied access for years because they found HIV medication in his suitcase (I believe the laws have been updated since etc) cheers funny story about he hotel manager btw