It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Traveling with suboxone
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:26 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

In a little over a month from now, my husband and I will be taking a vacation. We are going to be flying and I'm nervous for two reasons. 1 I've never been on a plane in my life and, 2 I don't know the rules about taking a controlled substance
with you on a flight. Does any one have expirence with this. The vacation will last about 2 weeks and at 2 MG per day I'll need to bring about 2 8MG films with me. I'm going to bring 3 just in case.

If anyone has any insight that would be greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:08 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I advise: 1) never put medications in checked baggage. If lost or misrouted you will have a
miserable two weeks
2) keep it secure on your person, not in a carry on you will be setting down.
3) take a bit extra and put it someplace else so if one portion is lost you would
have enough to get by
4) have a prescription label with you to show it is your medication

I have not heard of any hassles related to Suboxone from TSA
If nervous about the travel consider taking some Benadryl, or if fearful of airsickness some scopolamine. Try it at home so you know how it would effect you. Your doctor might
consider a couple of doses of Xanax or similar med. Again, you would want to try a dose at home so you know how you react to it.
Oh, check your math, at 2 mg a day one strip will last 4 days, for a two week trip you would need 3 1/2. So an extra couple in a different pocket or clutch.
Have fun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Whether you're flying domestic or international makes a differences. If you're flying domestic, there's hardly anything to worry about. Just carry on your person or in your handbag in some kind of container that has a sticker with your name on it, like what they give you from the pharmacy. This is useful so you can easily prove that the medications are legitimate and your own, if need be.

International is a bit more complex. If you're flying international it's recommended that you get a letter from your doctor at least, and if you're going to be really sensible about it, a letter from the consulate of the country you're going to to say you've had prior clearance to carry the meds, as suboxone is considered an illegal narcotic in many countries. I personally didn't bother with the last bit when I went to a communist country once, but there's a risk in doing that. I just carried a letter from my doctor.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:08 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for the advice docm2 and TeeJay!

I made a mistake in my post. I said the vacation would be lasting 2 weeks and it's really only one week. We leave Saturday September 30th and we come back on Sunday October 8th. So I should be ok with bringing 3 and that would leave one for backup. We live in the u.s and we're going to Florida so it should hopefully go pretty smoothly.

I haven't seen my Dr for awhile now because of an issue with insurance. So what im currently taking is my stockpile from my years in treatment but, I keep them in the baggie I got them from the pharmacy in. Sidenote: does anybody else's pharmacy put the script of films in a ziploc baggie? It has the perscription lable with my name on it. I'm actually emailing back and fourth with my Dr. about coming back into treatment so I may have a newer container to keep them in by then.

I'm really glad I got the suggestion to keep them on my person and not in checked luggage because, that really would make for a miserable vacation. I worry a little that because Florida is so hot, the temperature will cause my sub to melt or change in consistency or something before I can get it to the air conditioned hotel.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:54 pm 

I can only add this but Ive always asked for,a baggie instead of a pill bottle. Mostly because i want to put them in my pocket after I leave the Walmart phar.
Walmart here is in a large towncenter and I shop . I want them with me .

As far as heat, there was a post here in the forum not loug ago where a experiment was done useing film and hot cars.
Temps well into the 160 degree range and there was no melting. Ive left a few in my jeep on hot days and see no problem s..
Have a fun trip and dont worry it ll all be fine Vanessa...