It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:47 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey everybody. Later today (Tuesday) I'm going on a trip by plane for the first time in 7 years. it's just a domestic flight, in fact, an 'airbus'--practically a commuter flight but even so I guess security issues are the same as for any domestic flight. Since I haven't flown in so long I'm unsure of the security regulations regarding items in carry-on bags.(I won't be checking any baggage and intend to take only one smallish shoulder bag with me. I've never had to fly anywhere since I've been on sub. Can anyone tell me if I have to do anything special regarding my sub and other meds? I will have a laptop with me too--it should fit in my shoulder bag but since it isn't an "approved-for-airline-security" laptop bag my understanding is i'll have to take it out of my bag to go thru security and have it scanned separately. but what about my sub and other meds? Should i take them out of my bag too and show them to the security people? Or is that unnecessary? I won't bring any liquids or gels at all--I figure I'll either make do with whatever soap and shampoo the hotel provides or buy the smallest possible amounts of those items when I get to my destination. Btw, my other meds are just antidperessants. for my sub i thought I'd just bring enough strips to last me the trip. will that be ok or should I bring the box they come in because that has the prescription info and thereby proves that I have my subs legitimately? And what about over-the-counter meds--I do think I'd like to bring some ibupfrofen with me. Does anyone know about this issue? should I just pack all my meds in my bag and not worry about it or should I pack them all together in a special bag or compartment that is easily accessible and show them all to teh security when it's my turn? Or should I just be prepared to pull out my meds for inspection if they ask me? I don't want to have any hassles with security since that would end up slowing down the whole process for everyone...I'm planning on arriving at the airport about an hour before my flight is scheduled to depart, but it's been so long since I've flown, I just won't be familiar with any of the procedures nor will I know exactly where to go for check in and all that. ONe more question--what about cigarettes and lighters? Is a regular plain disposable lighter permitted in carry-on (or just in my pocket? Can I just put a lighter into the tray for metals with my keys and pocket change as I go through security? Or should I just plan on buying a lighter too when arrive at my destination? And a pack of cigarettes shouldn't be any issue, or would it?

I do know that lots of people travel by plane with sub and of course all kinds of other meds. So I know it shouldn't be a problem, but I'd like to know what to expect so that everything goes smoothly. so any seasoned travelers out there, can you please chime in and tell me what you think is the best way to pack my meds and what to do and expect when I pass through security? Thanks, I really appreciate it. I'll be checking back to see any replies before I leave. I'll be leaving for the airport around noon today, west coast time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:27 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Auto, I just flew across country in Dec and only had a carry on bag. Sub is absolutely fine to have with you just as any prescribed medication is. I do think it would be a good idea to bring them in the prescribed box just in case. I would also put them in an easily accessible spot just cause you never know. I just left my sub in my bag and was not questioned about it.

You will have to put your laptop thru the scanner outside of your bag and cigarettes are ok but no lighters. You also are aloud liquids, they just have to be 3oz or less and in a clear ziploc bag. You just put them thru the scanner separately and you will have no problems.

Don't worry about your sub, it is just like any medication. The airlines actually suggest putting your scripts in your carry-on incase your checked luggage gets lost. Enjoy your trip!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey autononymous,

You shouldn't have any trouble at all with your meds. I've travelled many times with Suboxone (used to travel with OxyContin and Lorcet too). I never ran into any trouble at all. Not once was I asked about any of my prescriptions. I usually put my meds in one of those side pouches just so they were easy to get to during the flight. If I were you, I would certainly not offer to take my meds out and show them, it's none of their damn business what meds you take.

Breezy already mentioned how lighters are a no-no, but matches are fine. Follow her advice on the liquids too, it'll save you a lot of hassle.

BTW, toothpaste is considered a liquid. Last time I flew, they threw my damn toothpaste out because it was one of the regular sized tubes.....bigger than 3oz I guess.

I hope you have a good trip. Don't sweat the meds at all.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: thanks guys
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:47 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Thank you Breezy and Romeo--I did see your replies before I left for the airport and what you said did reassure me a lot. And you were absolutely correct, there was no issue at all about carrying my medications, including the sub. This is the first chance I've had to post since my last post, or i would have thanked you sooner.