It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:13 am 
New Poster
New Poster

:twisted: [font=Arial] [/font] [b]
I am raveling to Belize in a month for one week. I am on suboxone 8mg films 2x a day. Will I have a problem bringing my script with me?! Anyone been to Belize and brought their subs? I am going to get a letter from my doctor just in case. But what's the best way to do it? Go in stating "nothing to claim" or what? The bottle has my name obviously, but I'm still worried. Please help asap!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I went to Belize many years ago before I was on Sub. The airport is tiny with very little in the way of customs/security. I would just bring it in as a regular prescription in its original bottle and not say a word about it. They probably won't even know what it is. JMHO.

Post subject: Never thought about it
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:35 pm 

A legal prescription is just that, a LEGAL one. I've traveled abroad into several countries and no one questioned all my pill bottles I had in my carry-on bag. Never put it into checked luggage because it could be lost or stolen.

You will have no problem taking it to Belize. Enjoy your vacation, I am so very envious! One day I'll get there too. It's on my bucket list of things to do.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

What Rule is saying was true for me as well. I have traveled all over (both abroad and locally in the states) and have never once been questioned about my medication. I never had a letter from the doctor but it can't hurt. Keep your meds in the actual bottle just to be safe.

I wouldn't worry about it. And ditto what rule said, keep them on you in the cabin. I've had lost bags before and would have panicked if my meds were in there. No fun.

Additionally, I suggest you keep your bottle in the hotel safe. I did not ever carry my full stash on me while sight seeing. You never know when you could lose your bag, or someone could snatch it. I also didn't feel comfortable keeping my meds out in the room just in the event house keeping got a little curious. You just never know. But lastly I will say, don't ever forget what is in the safe. I always made sure to empty the safe the night before I was leaving any hotel. Set a reminder on your phone if you have to. It easy to miss the safe during a typical "dummy check."

Post subject: Thanks!,
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:24 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks for the quick responses guys! I feel a lot better about it. I have traveled all over the US with my subs in their original script bottle with my name and had no problems. I just wasn't sure if it would be any different traveling abroad and going through customs with it, as this is the first time I've ever left the US and don't even know what to expect when going through customs, as I've never done it. I do feel better about it, but still plan to have my doc write a letter just in case. I'd hate to be stuck in a foreign country for a week after having my subs "confiscated." A wonderful trip would turn into a nightmare of with drawl! Thanks again! :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:45 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You'd be surprised. It's considerably easier to get through customs abroad than like 80% of our airports here. You don't even have to take off your shoes in a lot of the foreign airports!! Score.

If you think about it, they probably aren't completely up to date with all medications. I think it would be a disaster if they started confiscating meds and accidentally took someone's heart medication or anti-seizure pills. I wouldn't want to be responsible for something like that.

Have a good trip, so exciting!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:42 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You could always stick it up your bunghole.

May not be necessary but will make for good stories in later life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

TeeJay wrote:
You could always stick it up your bunghole.

May not be necessary but will make for good stories in later life.

You never disappoint, TeeJay.