It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Travel to Honduras
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 8:32 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hey guys/ladies, I'm new here so please forgive any unintended failures of protocol.
Okay, so anyhow, I'm visiting Honduras for a week coming up on the 21st of this month and I'm hoping all goes well during my anxious stroll through customs. I do not have a doctor's letter (can maybe get one if necessary) but I have my original prescription per cvs as well as all the paperwork they give with it these days. That said, I'm prescribed a strip a day so cvs just gives me the whole box of 30 strips every month instead of removing them and putting them into a bottle. The box has the normal pharmacy sticker on it but I'm a bit worried that they may give me some grief, it not being in a standard bottle and all. Am I just being paranoid? Has anyone taken sub to Honduras or perhaps any other Central American country? Any help, or even calming words of wisdom, would be greatly appreciated). Thanks!!

Post subject: Re: Travel to Honduras
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 9:07 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I wouldn't worry about it. I've traveled back and forth the Atlantic a few times and never had an issue. Heck I even went to Dubai with Suboxone and had no problem, later I learned that the laws are kind of strict in the UAE for controlled prescription meds, oops. When I went to the states for christmas I had my doc write a formal letter stamped w/ a seal and everything because I had to carry like 5 boxes with me to last through the holidays. I kind of even wished they'd questioned it, and then I could have whipped out my letter lol and been like, "THERE". But really, they won't even know what the heck it is probably... and if they do, these overworked TSA guys have bigger fish to question.

If I were you, I would ask your doc to write you a letter. Or, you can write one for him (explaining the dosage/number of days you'll need it/number of strips needed/etc., your identifying info--include your passport number on there) and email it to him/her to make it easier so that he/she only has to edit and sign it. That's what I did with my sub doc in the states. But really I think you'll be fine, except if you want to take a load off your shoulders I'd get the letter. I just think it's better to be safe than sorry, especially with something you are physically dependent on. If you go on the Homeland Security website they'll have some form you have to fill out and stuff, just ignore it, a letter form your doc is fine. Maybe for huuge quantities you'd need it. Have fun in Honduras!

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 10:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've had patients travel to Mexico, France and other European countries, many Carribean destinations... and even Bangladesh. Nobody has had a problem. But I have a couple recommendations... first, keep ALL medications in your carry-on. I've heard several claims of missing controlled substances from bags that went through baggage claim.

Don't hide meds, but don't place them on the very top of your stuff either. Keep the meds in the labelled box. I agree that a letter is a great idea. I would be very surprised if you needed it, but if you do have any problem it would be a nice thing to have.

If you hotel room has a safe USE IT. I have heard MANY stories about meds gone missing from hotel rooms. I was at a very nice hotel in Austin Texas a few years ago, and the elevator was across from the door to my room. One afternoon the elevator opened as the housekeeping manager exited my room. He stood waiting for me to walk by, and his face turned red as I moved around him to use the key to my room. He fumbled around and said he was 'checking to see that the housekeeper did a good job', then he scurried away. In the room I discovered that the tablets of melatonin that were in an unlabeled vial were missing. Of course I had no way to prove it-- but I realized that taking meds from suitcases is a 'perfect crime', easily blamed on forgetfulness by the traveller.

If you don't have a safe, keep in mind that your meds will be in a room visited by managers, maids, people who restock the fridge, and about 20 other people. That goes for any country by the way, including the US.

The strips are probably the best form of bupe for travel. You already know, I'm sure, that the films absorb water vapor-- so don't take them out of the packages.

Take what you need for the trip, and an extra 2 or 3-day supply in case your flight is cancelled. Don't take all of them; that way you won't need to be too concerned about US customs coming back.

Have a nice trip!!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 11:22 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Ok great. Thanks to both of you for such detailed responses. This is already helping me relax more than I can say!!

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:08 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've been to Honduras a few times with suboxone and never had any issue. I don't think they would even know what the strips are if they saw them. You'll be fine so don't worry. The advice above is great. Above all, keep them ON YOU always. The nature of the country is a dangerous one because of poverty so ANYTHING of value is a candidate for theft. The people are wonderful and very friendly as a whole. You'll be safer with less "stuff" so leave nice watches or jewelry at home. I brought as little as possible and didn't worry about anything being stolen (except for my subs which I kept close). Have a great trip, I'm a bit jealous. It's beautiful there.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 9:04 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you so much, that is great to hear! I'm actually only going there for a week to help finish building a hospital in the little village of Sula and I've been told they have decent security for us so it looks like I'll be ok. But I'll definitely keep my strips on my person as a precaution thanks to your advice. So thank you once again!! :)