It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:56 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The subject line says it all. Anyone here have any experience with the use of Naltrexone for long-term Opioid dependence treatment?

Here's the situation: I am on 4MG of Suboxone daily. I am in my mid-40's and have been abusing opiates for the better part of 2 and half decades. I started out with Heroin and after a lengthy prison term, moved on the pills. Lots and lots of pills. Oxycontin, mostly. And I took EXTREMELY high doses, pretty much daily. This is not a "war story" and I'm not here to brag about my drug use. I am simply trying to give a picture of what my abuse was like. At the height of my active addiction, I was crushing up 15 or more 40MG Oxycontin tablets each day. I'd do them 5 or 6 at a time, sometimes more than that. So, needless to say, I was in really, really rough shape before I found Suboxone, which pretty much saved my life.

Now, I've been on the sub for about 15 months. Like most people, I started out at 16MG and slowly tapered down to almost nothing, but got really squirrelly @ .5mg per day and almost relapsed, which was when I found this site and went back up to 4mg, under the supervision of my prescriber, who has been extremely supportive.

Now, he and I have discussed my options for the long term, and those are:

1. Stay on the subs @ around 4mg (maybe a bit less) long term

or

2. Try transitioning to Naltrexone for long term "maintenance"

My prescriber says he has quite a few people who are taking Naltrexone and doing quite well. I guess my concerns are the fact that it's an opioid receptor antagonist (see the wiki entry for more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naltrexone) and I wonder how effective that would actually be for someone like me.

What does the forum think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:05 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sorry for the shameless bump, but I am really hoping someone here has some thoughts or experience with this.
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:48 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I hope my english will be understandable
I am now on 1,5 mg suboxone, doing the liquid tapper,
when I am off, I want to take naltrexone for a year, maybe two.
I took naltrexone many times in my life, my longest clean period (3 years) started with 1 year of naltrexone.
I felt much better on naltrexone than on the methadone or suboxone, theese syntetic opiates give me many side effects - depression for example, no energy at all,
I am in treatment for 2 years now (1 year methadone, 1 year suboxone), and have not been laughing since the dosage was adjustet.
So I definetly want to go off the suboxone and I am slowly tappering.
As I said, naltrexone works best for me and I will definetly take it for some time.
I am extremly psychologically addicted, (30 years old, started to take heroin as I was 14, other drugs 12) every even slight withdrawal makes me hysterical- I tried to jump of 2 moth ago from 2mg, and I really knew that my withdrawals are not bad at all, but I did not manage the psychological addiction, so I went back to 2mg and now doing the slow tapper.
I have a 5 years old Son, and I just can not afford doing drugs again, that is why, I want to take naltrexone.
I am doing very well in my life- working, studying,raisin my child, therapy etc, but I just never want to take drugs again, so, even if there is very very little risk i do not want to take that risk.
I can only recommend naltrexone, for me it is ideal for managing my addiction.

take care