It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:22 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey guys.

Has anyone done this? Anyone heard of a good way to do it?

I'm aware that if I were to get off Suboxone at this point in my life, I likely wouldn't be able to stay clean. But I'm pretty near certain that if I went on naltrexone again, I'd be able to keep myself in line. Has anyone transitioned from Suboxone to naltrexone?

How did you go about it? What were the issues (if any)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There was someone a while back who transitioned from Sub to low-dose naltrexone but I can't remember her name. She was using the LDN to combat paws but I think that's different from the high-dose that's meant to block use of opiates.

I think she had to be off everything for a couple of weeks before she started the LDN. If I remember her name I'll get a link for you.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:53 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

check out healthworksnw dot com

go to treatment services and click on Naltrexone Condensed Opioid Detox

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks guys.

Led Zepp - it's an interesting page. I find this really interesting:

Quote:
Our clinical experience has shown that 90% of our IV addicted individuals who use Suboxone therapy relapse on IV opiates at some point. Most patients report that they will relapse given the opportunity, simply related to the depth of the salience for IV opiates.

It's funny how statistics can be spun to sell anything.

It's true that 90% of IV drug addicts on Suboxone attempt to use at least once while on Suboxone. I think this makes a really important point of what exactly do studies refer to when they say "relapse". It's clear these guys are suggesting that using lapsing into using IV once = relapse, which is pretty far from the truth I reckons. I'll admit that I have used while on Suboxone, but Suboxone prevented those slips from becoming a relapse.

I think one of the big reasons IV users attempt to use on Suboxone more than non-IV users is that Suboxone, taken as prescribed, resembles the act of taking pills much more than the act of injecting heroin (or pills for that matter). Because of this ..maybe.. those that chewed or popped pills find the idea of taking a pill somehow more psychologically satisfying than those who are "addicted to steel" (ie IV works, needles etc). People who were addicted IV often miss the whole ritual of mixing and injecting more than they miss the drug itself. Just an idea.

I've noticed that most of the studies referred to on this forum, and by Dr. J, see one use as a "relapse". IMO it's a bit simplistic and reductionist.

As for the naltrexone assisted detox thing. Unfortunately that's not what I'm after. All reports say that rapid naltrexone induced detox doesn't work for people on Suboxone, because buprenorphine binds to the receptors harder than naltrexone, so it can't be kicked off the receptors as easily as say ... methadone or heroin.