It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:09 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello,

I started Suboxone therapy last month with a Doctor that is a 2.5 hour drive away. At the time, I did not know that there WAS such a thing as a Suboxone Doctor unitl I saw an advertisement. Now, I find that there is a Suboxone Doctor within 15 miles of my home!

My question:
Is there an "appropriate" way to transfer my treatment management from the first doctor to a new one. Is that acceptable? What should I do and what should I expect. The treament is failry expensive out-of-pocket wise and the long drive makes it VERY hard set\keep appointments during the Doctor's business hours.

I have no problem being direclty honest with a physician - There is really nothing to lose by trying to hide something. Nad I'm not taking anything I'm not supposed to be taking, so...

Thanks for the help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I would call the new doctor and see if he/she is taking new patients. Explain that you want to switch from your current provider because of the disance & travel time. Find out if the new doctor does maintainence (if that's what you want) because some only do short-term taper-type treatment. Make sure they know you're already stable on Sub and that you don't need an induction.

If it was me, I'd get the appointment and meet the new doctor before I told my current doctor. I'd want to make sure this new doctor is someone who I felt comfortable transferring to, and then when it's all set up you can just have the new doctor request your records from the old one. And if the new doctor is a jerk or has policies that you can't handle or whatever, you can just continue with your old doctor with no harm done.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:41 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Definitely what DAQ said. Before cancelling anything, make sure the new doctor is right for you. Also, given that you said it's a bit new to you, you might want to look around and see if there are any other doctors in your area as well, especially if the new one isn't optimal. You can look on Suboxone.com for doctors in your area. Again, like DAQ said, if you're looking for maintenance, be sure to be clear about that.