It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: tramadol
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:01 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I was wondering if anyone knows if sub will block the effects of tramadol? Ihave been on suboxone for 8 months now to get off an addiction to oxys and heroin. I was injecting them for just over 2 years and found myself about to comit suicide to get away from this horrible life I was living. I went to in patient treatment, started subs, and going to 12 step meetings and 8 months later with no relapses I am happy and back to loving life. unfortunatly I have a condition that is causing the vertibrae in my neck to crumble. I had surgey about 1 year ago and of course was happy about the pain meds I was given afterwards, but after taking no meds except suboxone for the last 8 months I am starting to have severe pain again. I will be seeing a doctor for this in about 6 weeks and i was just wondering if anyone knows of any non narcotic pain relievers I might request that the suboxone wont block. You can bet that I wont take any narcotics after what I have gone through. Thanks for any help anyone may have for me and good luck to all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Olded -

I'm guessing the suboxone just doesn't do it for your chronic pain. It doesn't help everyone and it doesn't address all types of pain.

With regard to tramadol, as far as I know, it's the only type of pain medication that you can actually take WITH suboxone. For me (I'm also a chronic pain patient), it's never done a thing for me, whereas for others, it feeds their addiction (or was their DOC) - so be careful. I would of course speak to both your sub doctor and whatever doctor manages your condition/pain about taking the two meds together though.

I can't explain the specifics of how tramadol works and why it can be taken with suboxone - hopefully someone with more knowledge on the subject will come along with said info for you. But I hope this much helps.

Good luck finding some more relief. Oh and if sub helps you at all, you could try multiple-day dosing for additional pain management.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

although tramadol isnt an opiate, it IS a synthetic drug. My doctor 'catagorized' it with morphine. I told him I used to take tramadol to be able to sleep when I was in SEVERE w/d from oxy/methadone/dillaud.

anyways, I took so much of it I had a siezure coming off........So yea, you gotta be really careful. tramadol too, is addictive and at the very least you will become dependant on it too.

Ive heard it works as a 'SSI' or something. not sure quite what that means.

im just saying I dont think theres any easy answer. just be careful, wiegh all your options

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:50 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks hat. I have also tried tramodol before but i never really felt any effect from it, that may have been because of all the oxys and heroin i was using at the time. At this time i am taking 16mgs of suboxone per day, 8 morning and 8 evening. They have been helping some but as my condition worsens they have become less effective. I am down from 24mgs per day and dont really want to go back up, dont even know that it would help. I guess I will have to see what the docs say and go from there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:29 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

For pain, I dose 8 mg, 2-3 times per day, depending on how bad my pain is. On a bad day, I'll take it 3x, but otherwise, usually just twice. For me, that extra 8 mg does help me. It might be worth checking to see if a third dose will help with your pain. Are you also able to augment with any other treatments?

Again with regard to the tramadol, it does metabolize like an SSRI (I don't know the technical language), so that people who are already taking other serotonin meds can be at risk of serotonin syndrome.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.