It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:58 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I read a post titled Sub 101 on a separate site as well as many of the comments below that post (and other posts elsewhere) but honestly, while it was all helpful to a degree, I still find myself asking the $64,000 question: "But how will any of this work for me when I have no time to detox and no support system where I am currently living" Many people who write about their withdrawal experience seem to have an "SO" in their life to help them through and/or no job ...either that or they are incredibly disciplined. (You would have to be to go jogging when you feel like a tractor stuck in quicksand during withdrawal.)

I should add that I have tried to detox myself off of Sub 3 times and each time felt acutely suicidal. This was very scary. I did not use any support drugs however.

I've been on Sub for 4.5 years. Been on 1 mg for about 3 years. I want to get off...a LOT. Don't like the numb, detached state that I feel in 24/7. It's a fake life.

My main Sub doctor (who wrote a book on Sub) here in NoCal gave me Tramadol last week and said, "Here, try this!' He never gave it to anyone else. I'm his guinea pig it seems. He agrees that coming off of 1 mg is nigh impossible--very few of his Sub patients (and he has a lot) have been able to do it successfully it seems.

So, my questions are (1) Will this 100 MG Tramadol work? and (2) How do I use it (he was a bit fuzzy on that)? I keep reading how it knocks you out. Well I can't have that. For one, I already take 2 Neurontins at night for migraines and that knocks me out. If I take Tramadol on top of that I will be a zombie (hopefully not the Walking Dead variety which would make me look like a Nick Nolte mug shot and give me an a sudden desire to eat—rather than love—my neighbor.)

I should add that I work as a free-lance writer, run an eBay store and take care of my 93-year-old dementia-afflicted father 3x a week so I think the really the only way I really can detox off Sub completely and successfully is in a detox/rehab residential facility. That way I would be cared for, monitored with no outside stresses. (I do have health insurance...for now. Who knows with Obamacare, I might get kicked out of my plan)

Problem with that plan, however, is that I have not found ANY residential treatment places for Sub detox that take insurance. There are not many to begin with, I will add that—or, if there are, you can't find them by Googling the words "Suboxone withdrawal detox residential" as the search engine will think you mean detox places that USE Sub to get you off of other drugs.

One more thing? Will Klonopin, Clonidine and/or Valium help? Along with Tramadol or in lieu of?

Thanks for any help here. Not to worry, I will not take any one's comments as "professional medical advice." :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:29 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hello and welcome!!

I can completely relate to the detached, numbness Sub gives you. Its difficult. It makes it hard to live a normal life.

1mg isn't a terribly high dose to come off of. Many on this forum have done it, or higher. The majority of us recommend tapering as low as you can go, .25mg or lower. It just helps cushion the blow, so to speak. Though I understand not wanting to wait.

So, it seems that you can get your hands on a few comfort meds. That is awesome. Tramadol and any other narcotic will only prolong the inevitable. The main reason for Tramadol during WD is for the RLS & anxiety. Personally, taking it will only hurt your recovery. Not only in the matter of mind, but I've had personal experience in trying to take both Tramadol and Vicodin during WD and it only ended up in a lengthier process.

If I were you, I'd stick with what you have for night time that knocks you out. The worst WD symptom is RLS and not being able to sleep. It exhausts you and makes it impossible to get anything done. Also, yes Klonopin or Xanax will work tremendously. Just have to warn against their addictive properties as well. Clonodine is the #1 medication I see recommended here.

Good luck! Keep us posted and keep checking back for more advice.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:32 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I've heard that tramadol CAN be helpful but to me, it's too slippery of a slope. The reason it helps so much is because it acts like a narcotic. It's not as strong, or as "good" but it could be enough to wake the beast. I know I'd want more and more and more. Don't we all? I'm the process of detoxing. Been over 48 hours and I'm feeling uncomfortable but I keep telling myself to soldier through. Sure, I have a spouse, but I also have a part time job, two kids, volunteering in classrooms, etc. I know how hard it is. I think you need to gradually taper down. Try the liquid taper method and go down super slowly. Can I ask, have you received counseling these last few years, or are you active in NA?

"the only way out is through"

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:37 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Oh and I used klonopin very mildly. But benzos aren't my thing. I think some people steer clear cause of the addictive nature, but all they do for me is make me tired. The reason I loved pain pills so much is because they gave me energy! I hate feeling tired! I once read something about addiction to opiates and it said if you give 10 people a shot of dope, 9 will fall asleep and 1 will clean the house. That's me!! Weird how different we are all. Ok....sorry, got off on a ramble there...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:01 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

So Klonopin PLUS Clonodine?

Should I then NOT use the Tramadol, just keep to the Neurontin (for migraines and CRPD), and add Klonopin and or Clonodine while cutting down from 1 mg to 1/2 mg to 1/4 mg to ... eventually O?

Main thing I am concerned about is anxiety and lack of sleep...and of course depression and suicidal thoughts. I HATE feeling anxious. Even 2 Tylenol for Migraines which I still have to take 2 o3 times a week on top of the Neurontin for migraines makes me anxious.

I do have to enough on my game to take care of my 93-year-old father who has mild-to-moderate level dementia, though I only do this 3 days a week. But the rest of the week I do have to earn a living through my writing and eBay. The good part about that is that I can't get fired for feeling sick at work. The down side (and it's a big down side for ADHD types) is no structure.) Maybe having to perform helps your power through withdrawal. Hmm.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:07 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Oh, forgot to answer about NA group. No, is the simple answer. Never been.

There is one at the church down the street. I rather like the church (went last week) and they have some sort of recovery group on Friday nights. Is that a place you can go while you are going through withdrawal? I thought it was a place where recovered (or recovering, but not in active withdrawal) addicts go.

Should I just show up and say, "Hi there! I'm going through Hell. Can anyone inject some Heaven into this process...I mean this IS a church, right?"

:)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:21 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I don't know about the church group. I don't do NA either, never been. I chose to d one on one addiction counseling. I just think its important to do something that gives you support, ya know?

Hmmm, I don't know about combining the klonopin and clonodine, I'm sure you could at fairly low doses. I didn't do both at the same time cause I'm oddly afraid of OD'ing (ironic considering I was a pill popper). Clonodine is a BP med that helps with things like body chills, anxiety, and sometimes sleep. One of the most annoying things to me is the goose bumpy skin and cold chills so I like clonodine, but obviously klonopin will help more with anxiety but it's potentially addictive and doesn't help with other annoying symptoms.

I would also use b12 and l-tyrosine for energy boosts and hylands restless legs that you can find at health food stores. I think 800mg Motrin helps tremendously with general body aches. Unfortunately nothing is going to make you feel 100% except opiates!! Which will only put you all the way back to square one.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

paythepiper wrote:
Oh, forgot to answer about NA group. No, is the simple answer. Never been.

There is one at the church down the street. I rather like the church (went last week) and they have some sort of recovery group on Friday nights. Is that a place you can go while you are going through withdrawal? I thought it was a place where recovered (or recovering, but not in active withdrawal) addicts go.

Should I just show up and say, "Hi there! I'm going through Hell. Can anyone inject some Heaven into this process...I mean this IS a church, right?"

:)

Hey Piper,

Just wanted to say a few words about the NA meetings. I go regularily and have for many years. It has literally saved my life those meetings have. While they are not for everyone, I believe they can be beneficial to many.

The ONLY requirement to attend a meeting is the DESIRE to be free of drugs.

Meetings are held in a variety of places, and Churches seem to be one of the most used for that purpose. It may take you a couple or so times going to different meetings, and meeting places, to find the one that best fits you personally. Some meetings have addicts in attendance that are there because they are ordered by the court to be there. They must attend. Some are there dealing too if truth be told. Don't let it discourage you if you do go to a meeting and find it's not the right one for you. Search for another meeting in your area as they are everywhere these days it seems. Soon you will find the one that you want to belong to.

The thing about those meetings is your face-to-face with addicts that have been in your shoes, and you will find some that are where you are right now most likely. It's so awesome to be able to talk to those people and have them completely understand where your coming from, because they have been there too!

I have met some of my very best friends at those meetings. Good friends that get together all the time and keep each other on the right path. You will also get phone numbers at meetings of other addicts that you can call day or night for help should you need it. There's nothing else quite like that. I strongly urge you to attend at least one meeting and see for yourself. You don't have to say a word if you choose not too. In fact it's probably better if you just sit and listen to what's being said until you are ready to speak at some point.

I can also promise you there isn't one person that wasn't scared to death to walk into their first meeting. If they say they weren't frightened, then they are probably lying! I was shaking going into the room the every first time. You have to WANT to be there no matter what.

But it's the support you receive that makes the difference because your again dealing with people that truly understand where your coming from. You will NEVER be judged at meetings, and meet people like you that need friends and support. It may be one of the very best decisions you will ever make for yourself!

Here's a link to help you find meetings in your area where you live....

NA Support Group
http://www.na.org/

Hope this helps and I wish you the very best!

Karen xoxo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Tramadol is a tricky drug. Apparently some of us possess an enzyme that converts Tramadol into an opiate in our liver (or something to that effect). If you're one of those that has that enzyme, then you're basically going to be using an opiate to get off an opiate and I honestly haven't heard of many, if any, who have been successful with that approach.

IMO, if you think you're going to encounter suicidal thoughts while detoxing off Suboxone, you need to be under the supervision of a doctor, preferably a psychiatrist and let them help you get off Suboxone. Trying to do it alone, or with the help of this forum, probably isn't in your best interest? Also, I'm guessing most any comfort med that any of us have taken to help us off Suboxone wouldn't really do much to counter your depressive/suicidal thoughts. Again, I think you need to seek professional help.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:19 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I agree with what Romeo said to a degree.

I do believe talking it out here will help. I also believe that you CAN do do this.

I haven't done NA, and there are many who had successfully come off of Suboxone without it. I think its important you have at least a supportive doctor, in case your suicidal thoughts arise again. This way you have someone to call at the first sign of depression. Also, this way he can prescribe you the correct medication for your specific needs. You MIGHT need something more than Xanax. I think that Xanax is a great start for your anxiety during this process, but it may not be enough. I'm also unsure if you can take it along with the Clonodine. Maybe someone who's more experienced with Clonidine can answer that question. Another good reason to have a doctor who can help you throughout this process.

Don't be ashamed if you need to see a counselor. A LOT of us have to in order to come off of Suboxone or other opiates. The WDs can cause severe depression and anxiety in some. I was lucky in that I never experienced those symptoms. Considering you have in the past, it may be a good idea.

Please don't stop posting here, though. Talking with fellow addicts helped my recovery tremendously. I've seen it help many others as well, which is why we have so many regulars.

Good luck,buddy!! You CAN do this!!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:27 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

^^^ Thanks for catching that, mama.

The second sentence of the second paragraph should have read, "Trying to do it alone, or only with the help of this forum, probably isn't in your best interest?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:10 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you everyone for all your help!

RE:
Quote:
I think its important you have at least a supportive doctor, in case your suicidal thoughts arise again.

I'm not sure there is such as "a supportive doctor" anymore. Not that some of them may not actually care on some level, but the current health care climate in this country--which is about to get a lot worse—makes it very difficult to for doctor's to provide the level of care people like me really need. Plus there is the fact that I was never supposed to be put on this
Quote:
drug in the first place--at least as a maintenance drug. But don't get me started on that one!

Quote:
Don't be ashamed if you need to see a counselor.

No shame whatsoever. But I think when one is trying to get off a drug like Suboxone, one needs more than a counselor they can see two or three times a week. In point of fact, one needs someone there 24/7 ...at least someone who reacts the way I do to detox. Only way I see that happening is in a detox center but even with insurance (Cobra—that I struggle to pay each month) the cost is prohibitive.

Quote:
Tramadol is a tricky drug. Apparently some of us possess an enzyme that converts Tramadol into an opiate in our liver (or something to that effect). If you're one of those that has that enzyme, then you're basically going to be using an opiate to get off an opiate and I honestly haven't heard of many, if any, who have been successful with that approach.

Wow, that is really strange. How would I know if I have that special little enzyme? I would think that is rather important for me to know. I did just take the first one today around 5:00 pm, then took a short nap. I also took about .25 of a Sub film strip. I plan on weaning off the Sub that way—that is unless I have that dreaded enzyme. (As long as it doesn't turn me into a "Walker" (or "Biter") how bad could it be?)

Seriously, I don't feel any different...Tramadol has no effect thus far. Was worried about the headache side effect since I already get chronic migraines (every day) for which I take a 200 mg of Nerontin every night. That staves off the worst of it.

Anyway, normally I take 1 mg. Sub strip a day (cutting down 2 mg strip). So I'm thinking that starting tomorrow I will try to ONLY take 1/2 mg Sub, one 100 mg Tramadol ES for 3 days and see what happens. I will still call the prescribing doctor (an expert on Sub...wrote a book on this drug) and ask what I should take for anxiety, depression and shakes if I have them.

Thing is, I have to do this as slowly as possible because I have to be functional at least 3 days a week in order to take care of my father who has dementia. The rest of the week I run an eBay store and write so I can probably endure some pain and suffering those 4 days but not a whole lot.

That is my plan--or rather the doctor's plan--though I'm not sure he said that I could take the Sub while taking the Tramadol. But it's logical, I think to ease my way into the other drug. But I don't want to be on the Tramadol more than 2 weeks—MAX--especially if I have that dreaded enzyme.

BUT THEN I READ THIS POST...

Quote:
Tramadol and any other narcotic will only prolong the inevitable. The main reason for Tramadol during WD is for the RLS & anxiety. Personally, taking it will only hurt your recovery.

...AND NOW I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO.

Tramadol or No Tramadol? Or IN LIEU OF THAT, just ask the doctor for the Klonopin/Clonopin (or whatever they are called) and slooooowly taper down off the Sub.

Quote:
Some meetings have addicts in attendance that are there because they are ordered by the court to be there. They must attend. Some are there dealing too if truth be told.

Dear God, seriously? That would make them pretty much the bottom of the barrel on the scumbag evolutionary chain. Hopefully a church-run N/A-type program (as opposed to one just housed a church building) would not have those dealers.

BTW, I never did street drugs--in fact, I was on a low dose of Vicodin for 9 months after back surgery and never escalated my dose...I just couldn't get off it. And yet that seemed to "qualify" me to get put on what 5 years ago was the "shiny new drug" back then...Suboxone. So what should have only been a bridge drug to being chemical-free turned into a almost-5-year Sub dependence. I was never told that Sub was 30-40 time more powerful than morphine.

Finally...(Romeo)

Quote:
Please don't stop posting here, though. Talking with fellow addicts helped my recovery tremendously. I've seen it help many others as well, which is why we have so many regulars.

I won't! Though I have to say, with so many opinions I am more confused than anything at this point. Though I do feel supported which is wonderful. :)

Thanks all.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:58 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

First I want to say congrats on taking the first step towards getting off the subs!

NA is not for everyone, but like it was said you can try different ones until you find one you like, you don't have to say a word if you don't want to, but just like reaching out on this forum for support there are people there to reach out to as well. In my opinion they are beneficial, I have encountered judge mental people there since I was on subs they felt I wasn't clean, so it was time to find a new meeting. You need all the positive support and encouragement you can find.

If it doesn't work for you then it's not for you, everyone is different, but it can't hurt to try, like I said you don't have to say a word to anyone if you don't want to.

I have read of people using tremadol, however I think it's just as bad as any other opiate, to tell the truth that's how my addiction got started and I was prescribed it for some stomach issues and I went down hill from there. I would stick with meds that have no possibility of becoming addicted to just incase you do have that enzyme..why take a chance?

I just wanted to share my thoughts, like others have said everyone is different, what ever you choose to do just remember you will always find support here and no one judges that's the best part along with all the positive encouragement!

Please keep posting and let us know how you are!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:03 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you so much. :) I REALLY do appreciate your helpful post. I do plan on finding a group. Still trying to decide if I should keep taking the Tramadol to "ease" my way off this Tramadol.

Going to post now about what has happened so far with this plan....

Goingcrazy wrote:
First I want to say congrats on taking the first step towards getting off the subs!

NA is not for everyone, but like it was said you can try different ones until you find one you like, you don't have to say a word if you don't want to, but just like reaching out on this forum for support there are people there to reach out to as well. In my opinion they are beneficial, I have encountered judge mental people there since I was on subs they felt I wasn't clean, so it was time to find a new meeting. You need all the positive support and encouragement you can find.

If it doesn't work for you then it's not for you, everyone is different, but it can't hurt to try, like I said you don't have to say a word to anyone if you don't want to.

I have read of people using tremadol, however I think it's just as bad as any other opiate, to tell the truth that's how my addiction got started and I was prescribed it for some stomach issues and I went down hill from there. I would stick with meds that have no possibility of becoming addicted to just incase you do have that enzyme..why take a chance?

I just wanted to share my thoughts, like others have said everyone is different, what ever you choose to do just remember you will always find support here and no one judges that's the best part along with all the positive encouragement!

Please keep posting and let us know how you are!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

"Tramadol is a centrally acting synthetic opioid analgesic. Opioid activity is due to both low affinity binding of the parent compound and higher affinity binding of the O-demethylated metabolite M1 to µ-opioid receptors. In animal models, M1 is up to 6 times more potent than tramadol in producing analgesia and 200 times more potent in µ-opioid binding."
- quoted from drugs.com

You actually have to have a liver enzyme deficiency NOT to have the opioid effect of the M1 metabolite. The reason you probably don't feel it is because Suboxone is a much more potent opioid than Tramadol. Personally, I wouldn't fuck with it. Putting any opioid on your receptors is going to interfere with them down regulating.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:28 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

OK, here is what has happened thus far. I did start taking the Tramadol (in hopes that I didn't have that "enzyme" that turns it into an opiate). It is interesting because I went to a podiatrist yesterday, told him I had started taking Tram to help get off of Suboxone and he told me that he has prescribed this drug for lots of patients and he has never had an evidence that it was addictive. Who to believe? That is always the question.

Back to my experience thus far. Up until 3 days ago, I was taking 1 mg of Sub per day. BTW, I don't take it correctly like I'm supposed to. I take 1/2 mg in morning and 1/2 around 4:00 p.m.. If I take it too close to bedtime I get wild dreams (more than usual) and even hallucinations. I also split it up because honestly I can't go a full 24 hours without taking another dose. I start to hurt...ache all over and get very anxious.

Been following this protocol for years. (Started at 16 and worked my way down to 1 mg. But, as everyone hear probably knows, and as my Sub doctor said himself (in so many words) that last 1 mg "is a bitch."

That's when he gave me the Tramadol. He told me that other programs were using Tramadol to help people get off of Sub so he wanted to try it with me (though he didn't give me any real protocol).

So...2 days ago I cut down m Sub to about 3/4 p/day—with one 100 mg Tramadol close to bedtime since it is supposed to make you sleepy and I already get knocked out with Neurontin (I take this for morning migraines--it cuts down my pain to about 20%)

Now, today is my third day and I am going to try only take a "smidgen" of a piece of Sub film at 4:00 and substitute it with Tramadol and see what happens. The next morning, I will then just take 1/2 mg of Sub in the morning. If it works, I will work this plan for 3 days.

That will mean that I will only be on 1/2 mg of Sub per day. In 3-4 days I will then cut down the morning dose of Sub to 1/4 mg, with the 100 mg of Tram at night. Again, I will do this for 3 days.

But before I do this, on Monday I am going to call my Sub doctor and ask for a script for Klonodine, Clonodine...what have you for anxiety, etc.

So...my ultimate goal here is that in no more than 2 weeks I will be off the Sub and on Tramadol. Then I will ask the doctor to help take me off the Tramadol...using the Klonodin/Clonodine (whatever they are called) and any other comfort meds suggested here.

$64,000 question is: Is this all a pipe dream?
Am I living in La-La land here?

I guess my theory is that if Tramadol can help me get off of Suboxone, and Tramadol is the lesser of two evils (at least in theory), and I don't stay on Tramadol more than 2 weeks. then isn't this a better way to go? Would this be a more “manageable withdrawal?” Even if I did manage to get addicted to Tramadol in 2 weeks time, wouldn't the withdrawal from that drug be better than a full-on Sub withdrawal?

I mean they use Suboxone as a bridge drug to get people off of drugs like Vicodin, methadone, etc., so why can't Tramadol be my bridge medication to get me off of Suboxone?

Of course my concern is that Sub will still be in my system so that when I do get off of the Tramadol, the whole PAWS thing will start kicking in. I've heard horror stories like "I felt like sh_t for a year" after I stopped taking Suboxone

Feel free to add your opinions/comments here. As long as these comments are kind and supportive, I am always open to seeing things with a different perspective.

BTW...just learned about a side effect to Sub that I never knew before. Please see my NEW POST about that. Would love to get your feedback on this.

Piper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:07 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Huh? Since I am not a pharmacist, I had no idea of what you just said—other than the part about that unless I have an enzyme deficiency, I probably am getting an opioid effect from Tramadol.

These explanations were more digestible for the non-scientific minded:

SStructurally, tramadol closely resembles a stripped down version of codeine. Tramadol is a very weak μ-opioid receptor agonist, induces serotonin release, and inhibits the reuptake of norepinephrine. Unlike opioid analgesics, tramadol is not currently scheduled as a controlled substance by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration

Tramadol is not an opiate but it works on the same receptors. As with any drug it can be abused but that should not scare you from much needed pain reliefThink of it this way. If you have a puzzle piece and it fits and then you have another piece that fits almost the same way

ALSO, APPARENTLY NOT EVERYONE EXPERIENCES WITHDRAWAL ON THIS DRUG...

I took it for almost a year, and had no side effects or withdrawls from it. HOWEVER, I have a close friend who was on it for around 5-6 months or more, and had SEVERE withdrawl reactions. She claimed it was as if she was withdrawling from Heroin. So please be cautious when using this.

AND THIS PERSON USED TRAMADOL SUCCESSFULY TO GET OFF OF CODEINE....

This time, however, I switched from a codeine heavy regime to medicinal doses of tramadol, and I can safely say that hardly any discomfort was felt during the switch or during the tapering of my tramadol use.

Two months ago I was taking 300 mg doses of codeine and now I'm on nothing at all.

I switched straight from codeine to tramadol in one day, spent six weeks on tramadol, then tapered for two weeks off tramadol, with hardly any discomfort.

This last statement is what I am trying with the Sub and what my doctor (Dr. Richard Grace who wrote a book on Sub so he is an expert on this drug) is trying with me.

So you are saying he is mistaken? Regardless, I don't think that 100 mg p/day is a high dose anyway. Is it?

Lillyval wrote:
"Tramadol is a centrally acting synthetic opioid analgesic. Opioid activity is due to both low affinity binding of the parent compound and higher affinity binding of the O-demethylated metabolite M1 to µ-opioid receptors. In animal models, M1 is up to 6 times more potent than tramadol in producing analgesia and 200 times more potent in µ-opioid binding."
- quoted from drugs.com

You actually have to have a liver enzyme deficiency NOT to have the opioid effect of the M1 metabolite. The reason you probably don't feel it is because Suboxone is a much more potent opioid than Tramadol. Personally, I wouldn't fuck with it. Putting any opioid on your receptors is going to interfere with them down regulating.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:10 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Quote:
Dr. Richard Grace who wrote a book on Sub so he is an expert on this drug) is trying with me.

Sorry, I meant Dr. Richard GRACER—not Grace—though perhaps that was a subconscious misspelling since right now, I do need a LOT of grace to get me through all this so I can be off of Sub...once and for all!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:05 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

I find it interesting. Any ideas to me are welcome. I once contemplated the same thing. I know it works the same pathway. I have heard of people who get addiction or wd from them others not. They are not popular because you will not get high from them. But they are a very effective pain pill if that's all u intended to accomplish. I went through my first back surgery on them and had no addictionafter 1 year of frequent use. I took the 100mg too. Keep post on your results.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:20 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

dirtyblonde wrote:
I find it interesting. Any ideas to me are welcome. I once contemplated the same thing. I know it works the same pathway. I have heard of people who get addiction or wd from them others not. They are not popular because you will not get high from them. But they are a very effective pain pill if that's all u intended to accomplish. I went through my first back surgery on them and had no addictionafter 1 year of frequent use. I took the 100mg too. Keep post on your results.

Thanks for your post...just having someone respond is helpful in and of itself, but it's especially encouraging to hear a positive experience (or at least not a negative one) from taking Tramadol and then getting off without a problem.

And you took 100 mg for a year with no withdrawal? Wow! I hope that will be the same for me. Not sure when the Sub will taper off and the Tram kick in, or, to put it a better way, when the Tram will supersede the affects of the Sub withdrawal.

This morning I took 1/2 mg of Sub film strip, and this afternoon a 1/4 strip. I'm about to go to bed and will take a 100 mg Tram. I've decided scale down my Neurontin too...instead of 200-300 mg p/day for migraines, I'm taking 200-300 every OTHER day.

TOMORROW (Wednesday), I'm going to try and take 1/4 mg of Sub in morning and 1/4 mg of Sub in afternoon. Within 7 days, my goal is to stop taking Sub completely and see if I can make it on the Tramadol alone. If I can go about 7 -10 days with just the Tramadol then, I will start to wean myself off the Tramadol and see what happens.

I have no idea of whether this will work or not. After all, I have been on Sub for almost five years!. But I have the faith, and, I pray to God, the perseverance to see it through to the end. I won't condemn myself if it doesn't work, but just try and go slower.

I will let you know!