It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:35 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Really you guys please paythepiper do you really want to take tramadol to combat these wd symptoms honestly I would not recommend this! if you are experiencing suicidal thoughts perhaps you need to seek medical advice on maybe trying some anti depressants rather than addictive pain meds I hardly think pain meds such as tramadol should be used for depression and suicidal thoughts. I wouldent risk being dependant on more pains meds it could bring u unstuck in the worst possible way!! Back to square one please seek a second opinion on this from a different doctor your doctor obiously does not understand the word addiction!!! you have done so well don't undo all your hard work please!!!! :?

paythepiper wrote:
I read a post titled Sub 101 on a separate site as well as many of the comments below that post (and other posts elsewhere) but honestly, while it was all helpful to a degree, I still find myself asking the $64,000 question: "But how will any of this work for me when I have no time to detox and no support system where I am currently living" Many people who write about their withdrawal experience seem to have an "SO" in their life to help them through and/or no job ...either that or they are incredibly disciplined. (You would have to be to go jogging when you feel like a tractor stuck in quicksand during withdrawal.)

I should add that I have tried to detox myself off of Sub 3 times and each time felt acutely suicidal. This was very scary. I did not use any support drugs however.

I've been on Sub for 4.5 years. Been on 1 mg for about 3 years. I want to get off...a LOT. Don't like the numb, detached state that I feel in 24/7. It's a fake life.

My main Sub doctor (who wrote a book on Sub) here in NoCal gave me Tramadol last week and said, "Here, try this!' He never gave it to anyone else. I'm his guinea pig it seems. He agrees that coming off of 1 mg is nigh impossible--very few of his Sub patients (and he has a lot) have been able to do it successfully it seems.

So, my questions are (1) Will this 100 MG Tramadol work? and (2) How do I use it (he was a bit fuzzy on that)? I keep reading how it knocks you out. Well I can't have that. For one, I already take 2 Neurontins at night for migraines and that knocks me out. If I take Tramadol on top of that I will be a zombie (hopefully not the Walking Dead variety which would make me look like a Nick Nolte mug shot and give me an a sudden desire to eat—rather than love—my neighbor.)

I should add that I work as a free-lance writer, run an eBay store and take care of my 93-year-old dementia-afflicted father 3x a week so I think the really the only way I really can detox off Sub completely and successfully is in a detox/rehab residential facility. That way I would be cared for, monitored with no outside stresses. (I do have health insurance...for now. Who knows with Obamacare, I might get kicked out of my plan)

Problem with that plan, however, is that I have not found ANY residential treatment places for Sub detox that take insurance. There are not many to begin with, I will add that—or, if there are, you can't find them by Googling the words "Suboxone withdrawal detox residential" as the search engine will think you mean detox places that USE Sub to get you off of other drugs.

One more thing? Will Klonopin, Clonidine and/or Valium help? Along with Tramadol or in lieu of?

Thanks for any help here. Not to worry, I will not take any one's comments as "professional medical advice." :D

Last edited by tinydancer on Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
broken quote

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:41 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

I really would not worry about the tramdol at all right now. I took 4_500 mgs of tramdol a day for almost a year. No issue for me. I would not change too much too fast you will not know what worked. Don't mess with the neurontin at all. That will help you also. I would work on the sub and trams. If you can go 10 days on the trams alone I would stop both. Go to the MD with the neurontin, if you can let him help you with all this. It's a seizure med so if you have been on it a while 6_12months it can cause you to have a seizure with changes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

OP-

I won't argue about whether you should or shouldn't use tramadol to get off suboxone; that's completely up to you and your doctor. I will, however, let you know that you'll eventually have to pay the piper. You can use all the "bridges" you want, but you're only delaying your brain's ability to start healing itself. It's your choice if that's the way you want to go about it. The majority of us, when ready to get off suboxone, prefer to "get on with it" and let nature take it's course. I know it might seem like a double standard considering we've all used suboxone to get off of other opiates, but suboxone treatment is not just a bridge to lessen withdrawals. It's a tool to use while we rebuild our lives and get back onto sturdy ground.

Additionally, because of the fact that tramadol can be addictive, a lot of people here wouldn't want to play with that fire and jeopardize their recovery. I know you said your doctor told you it wasn't addictive but a lot of doctors say that about a lot of things. I can tell you we have quite a few members here who are ON suboxone because of tramadol habits.

Having said that, recovery is very personal and it's a path you have to carve for yourself. Many people advise against using a benzo but I chose to use one during my own transition off subs. I wouldn't (or couldn't) have trusted myself with anything that resembled an opiate though, this I know.

Good luck with your plan.