It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:15 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi everyone. I noticed while lurking today that the general consensus here is "Tramadol is an opioid, therefore it won't work"... In my experience (and many, many others, including pain doctors), this is wrong. I will C/P a post I made earlier which outlines this issue:

First of all, as others have said, taking an opiate after you have already adjusted to a regular suboxone regiment will not put you into precipitated withdrawals... it simply will not work the way you WANT it to... you will still feel the histamine reaction (which is why some say they still get the rush from heroin), but the mu (euphoric) effects are gone, which essentially means, "No Soup For You!".

Now that being said... Tramadol is very different. Not only is it a completely novel and synthetic opiate, but it get's metabolized in-vivo (inside your body) into some other related but different drugs, and some of these appear to NOT be blocked by suboxone. If you google this yourself, you will see that many people on suboxone therapy have taken tramadol and experienced full opiate effects. A theory which has been proposed suggests that M1 (the most Mu-active metabolite of Tramadol) actually has a higher affinity then buprenorphine, which means that it will literally rip bupe right off your receptors and take its place... the same thing that bupe does for all other opiates/ioids.

Even if (on the ODD chance) your body chemistry is totally different, and the Mu effects are completely blocked for you, Tramadol also doubles as an SNRI, and these medications are frequently prescribed off-label (and are indicated) for some people which chronic pain. Basically, Tramadol has multiple different actions that all block pain synergistically, and some of these are not opiate based at all.

To summarize: Doctors prescribe Tramadol to patients on suboxone for a reason: suboxone - for whatever reason - does not effectively block Tramadol - and/or its metabolites - from binding to Mu-Opioid receptors within the central nervous system. If you do not believe me, google it for yourself, and you will see that many have discovered this for themselves. ADDITIONALLY, the SNRI effects from Tramadol also relieve pain, and these have nothing to do with the opioid receptors.

DISCLAIMER: I am not posting this so that people will go out and abuse tramadol; I made this post because nobody in this thread mentioned this fact, and for people on suboxone who need pain relief after a surgery or similar, this is valuable information. I realize that this information could be misused, but I firmly believe that harm-reduction - along with ACCURATE data - should always come first when pertaining to drugs. So please, if someone is prescribed tramadol and needs it for pain relief, PLEASE let them know about this. Thank you.

And if you are about to flame me for this post, please just Google it for yourself and see.

I feel that this is very important information, as I have seen TONS of people on here tell others (who were prescribed tramadol on suboxone for legit pain relief) that tramadol won't work for them... this seems to be wrong for many people. There is still a lot we don't know about tramadol (it's a novel, synthetic opioid), so it is not safe to cover it under the general blanket statement of "its an opiate, therefore it won't work".

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:19 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Just for some examples (warning: these sites may trigger people...):

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/archive/ind ... 83577.html

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/archive/ind ... 90275.html

http://forum.opiophile.org/archive/inde ... 28988.html

... Now, although these posts are mostly talking about people getting high on tramadol while on suboxone, I think you can make the connection. If people are able to get high, then obviously the tramadol is not blocked effectively, and it will work for pain relief. If you still don't believe me, there are MANY more threads on the internet.

Tramadol should be viewed as an option for those who NEED pain relief on sub, and cannot get by simply with an anti-inflammatory.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:25 pm 

Just so you know, I read your other post and we encourage members not to post the exact same thing in different places on the forum. I responded to that post, btw.

I know you posted on an old thread, so it does make sense to make a new thread about the subject. Just keep that rule in mind as you go forward.

Thanks!

Amy