It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:51 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I was on the sub clinic for the 2nd time in the past 5 yrs or so and just stopped taking 2mg's on sunday after tapering myself down for about a month, right now tho I am taking tramadols instead to take away any withdrawal etc, and so far they are working out good, and i havent been sick at all..has anybody else ever tried this method before?....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You know Tramadol is an opiate, right??

Are you planning on quitting the Tramadol before you get hooked on it, I hope so.

You gotta be careful sickofitall24.

Post subject: Tramadol #@*^&%$#@
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:16 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

This is a SERIOUS WARNING.... IF you use tramadol and have addiction issues, you had better make sure the tramadol is the SR or ER type, that is the sustained release or extended release.... The regular tramadol that ALL Dr.s hand out for pain will not work out good for you, I promise !!!!! ALSO , keep taking your Suboxone while using your Tramadol SR... I'm not a Dr....

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:01 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yes I do realize it is a non narcotic pain med that does give u opiate sensations for a reason..I do p[lan on slowly weening down off of the tramadols very very soon tho..I've takne those alot in the past and realize they can be addictive just as well as any other opiate, and def do not want that to happen being that I was on the sub clinic for the same very reason of addicition..As far as the subs go, it's been a week today since I've taken any (2mgs at the end) and have been ok without it, sonow I just got2 stop the tramadol and will be ok

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:33 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Tramadol is gets away with being called a "non-narcotic" because technically it isn't a narcotic when it's in the bottle. But your first pass metabolism converts it to an opiate that binds to the mu opiate receptors just like oxycodone. It's the biggest scam in the market. What's worse is that it's also an Effexor like anti-depressant and that part has a nasty withdrawal syndrome in itself. It also has a 36 hour half life like Suboxone. So when you go into withdrawals it lasts for weeks instead of days. Many people on this forum have been addicted to it, including me. Go ahead and google "Tramadol withdrawal". You will find entire forums just like this one of people trying to get off that crap.

I always freak out when I hear people say they are using Tramadol to get off of other opiates. Docs hand it out like candy because of the loophole that keeps it from being Schedule III (especially now that they are clamping down on other drugs). I was on another forum where many people said it was worse getting off of it than off of "true" opiates. I wouldn't know because like the OP I used it to stave off withdrawals and it worked so well I never really suffered through a full opiate WD. But then I got hooked on IT, and now I'm dependent on Sub. Yay! Isn't addiction great!

My apologies to sickofitall for the rampage. PLEASE reduce your dose a little each day and get off of it within a week to 10 days. If you do you should be OK. And please stick around the forum. There are a lot of great people here who will support you as you go forward without Suboxone. Good luck.
Lilly

PS. For others reading this: if you are one of the people who say Tramadol is a "placebo" here's why: some people lack the liver enzyme that converts Tramadol to an opiate. If you have never experienced any effects from it then you have never had the m1 metabolite in your body.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:46 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Lilly, that was a great explanation that I just learned a lot from, so thanks for sharing. You never know who you reached or will reach with your words. Like me, because I never knew any of what you just told us about tramadol.

You know what would be great though, if we had a separate thread about tramadol and it's own unique mechanisms and risks. That way people would be able to find the thread easily by the subject line. If you are so inclined, Lilly, I think it would benefit the forum greatly if you would share that knowledge on it's own thread. Maybe you could put it under "My Addiction Story". If, of course, you don't want to, I understand and that's fine, too. PM me if you have questions. Thanks again.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:57 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for the advice lily..Thats def sumthin i never understood about tramadols, how they say its a non narcotic but has the same exact effect on you that any other opiate does..yes tho it has been about a week almost since i started taking them to ease my sub withdrawal, and i def have been thru tramadol wd before n it def sucks just like any other kind of wd, so I know i have to start to decrease my dosage each day, because the whole reason i had to get back on the sub clinic for the 2nd time was because of methadone wd, after stopping the clinic with that, so i def do not want to be in that postion of striving each day just to be well, after i've been doing so very well lately with everything in my life. dont want anything to screw what i have all up..and yes these forums are very helpful for not only myself, but hopefully everyone that comes to em 2 type out their feelings..hope to hear more feedback from everyone...stay strong.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:43 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Does anybody have any advice on how I maybe should go about the weening process to get off these tramadols now? I have about 100 of em n they r 50mgs..any thoughts and advice would be greatly appreciated..thanks..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:22 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

How you taper off really depends on how much you are taking. I know that people on high doses have reduced by 1 50mg tablet every week to ten days and then stopped at 50 mg. There was a lot of debate on the previous forum I was on as to whether the drug should be tapered down to minute levels (similar to Sub and the liquid taper). My personal opinion is that I would not, because people addicted to Tramadol are usually in full out withdrawal at 50 mg and there no sense dragging it out.

I sincerely hope none of this describes you. I'm hoping you have only been taking 2-3 tabs a day to ease your withdrawals. If that's the case you should be able to drop down to 1 or even half a tab pretty quickly and then stop. I wouldn't even consider using the rest of the hundred.
Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Lilly

PS Hat - that's a good idea about the Tramadol info. There is actually a pretty long thread on it here from a while ago. I will see if I can find it and maybe attach it to what I posted above, and a mod might want to sticky it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:56 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thanks lily, I've been taking about 6-8 50mg tabs a day n as soon as I wake up in the am, and at nite time I get a lil sick too if I take my dose too early in the am..what do u think I should do about coming down off of the amount I'm taking now? I know tramadols are worse than opiate wd and last way longer in the sickness..thanks...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:20 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've been reading online that alot of people are saying to come down 1 tablet per week, and others are saying that it doesnt matter because that shit is gunna make u very very sick no matter how u go about tapering off or completely stopping. If I would've known more about this stuff I def would have never even considered thinking about substituting this to get off my suboxone, cuz this is already a living hell and the withdrawal I do get at night time and in the am, is def intense and worse than probly methadone wd, which I seriously cannot believe that this so called "non-narcotic" pain med can be worse than stuff like that. The only big problem keeping me from just stopping altogether n preparing for sum massive withdrawal is that I just got my old job back a few weeks ago and there's no way that I can pull this kinda shit again n end up losing my job over it. not at all. So if anyone has any advice that would be helpful to me, I would greatly appreciate it..Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:27 pm 

I was taking about 12-16 50mg Tramadols when I was put on Suboxone. Was also kicking a Soma habit along with my Norco addiction. Can't say the Tramadol caused too much trouble. I just assumed the Sub would take care of that knowing it is a weird synthetic opiate.

So don't get too hyped up, you may not have any trouble at all. The one pill a week taper makes sense to me if you have the will power to do it. Otherwise, give the pills to someone else to dispense if you can. I surely could not. Tapering opiates just isn't in me to do, so I am very grateful for the Suboxone treatment.

Even the doctors don't understand Tramadol. When I told my old P.A. about how addicting they were and others were having a hard time getting of them, she just laughed and said the internet is wrong on this one. I asked her if she has ever done any research online about it and she said no. Most doctors have no clue about Suboxone or Tramadol. Why can't they go online like us and find the answers? That's why I love this place and the information I get.

Now don't take my experience and expect yours to be the same. Everyone is different when it comes to how our bodies handle different medications. I'm just saying that I didn't have any issues getting off Tramadol. Once again, the taper is always the best way and easiest on your body.

Good luck getting those behind you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:56 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

I have also heard the same thing about Tramadol and I have known others who have had a hard time weaning off. When I was researching some stuff on Suboxone, I actually heard of some dr's recommending Tramadol at the very very end of the taper to help with PAWS. On a side note.. I'm a big dog lover, and I know veterinarians are using it a lot for dogs with chronic pain and I worry that dogs are getting hooked cuz vets see it as a "non-opiate" option.
Anita

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:59 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey thanks 2 both of u for the advice and input..it means alot to hear that other people like myself on here actually do care and def know what this hell we call addicition is all about..I started to take only 3 50mg tabs just this morning and I'm hoping that by eveing/night time that I won't need 2 take one more b4 bed cuz thats the time of day once they start 2 wear off that I usually need 1 or 2 b4 bed...I'm on a very limtited supply right now cuz people F8ck around in this game all 2 much, we all know this all too well lol, so I plan on taking 3 in the am and hopefully 0 at nite and get myself off, with what I got left which is only about 40 tabs average..Thanks again guys, your help is deeply appreciated...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I tried to trace back your timeline and it looks like you have been on Tramadol for just over 3 weeks and have used as much as 400mg/day (which by the way is the max. daily dosage, not that many of us haven't taken a lot more than that!). I'm not in any way trying to bust your ass, but at that level I would actually consider going back on a low dose of Sub (like 2mg) and just tapering off the Sub. The reason I say that is that Sub is a drug known to be able to be sucessfully tapered off of. If you really can't or don't want to do that, you can continue reducing your daily tramadol intake, but what concerns me is that you have to take more at night, and you're probably going to run into serious insomnia when you go off of it.
Also, don't forget Tramadol has a 36 hour half life, so the longer you take it the more of it is building up in your system. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you said you have been through this before so I think you know what I'm talking about. I hope you can taper off as soon and as painlessly as possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:46 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks you Lily for your advice, and yes it'll be 4 weeks this saturday that I've been taking em..I'm down 2 200mgs in the am, and the only reason I took one last nite was due to insomnia and RLS/tremors...I was actually putting alot of thought into getting back on my suboxone's that I have leftover incase shit like this would end up happening..I weened myself off the subs all the way down to 2 mgs for about 2 weeks no more than 3 and it wasn't that bad at all, but then again I started the trams that very day too so I don't know because they covered up any Wd I was having/had...I'm almost out of my tram supply and I know it's a bitch to get off of em, so yes I know that I';ll have to take my subs for like a week or so n come back down off of em, n hopefully be ok then when it's all said and done..For insomnia (dopesick kind) do u have any reccomendations on any over the counter type of sllep aid etc? I've read that unisom works good for Wd insomnia etc, but I've never tried it...Thanks again....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:24 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

One thing you need to know about tramadal is that if you are susceptible to seizures you most likely Will have one. You don't have to have epilepsy to have seizures. I have a low threshold for seizures and I started to take tramadal when it first came out in the 90's, on the third day bam! I had a gran mal seizure. So be careful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:35 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Yup be very careful with tram. I ended up in the hospital one day (long time ago) because of them. They were my go-to pill when I couldn’t find anything else on the ‘street’ I would order them off the internet about 1000 at a time. Anyway, it turns out I had serotonin syndrome. Because I was taking an anti-depressant along with the ultram it was too much serotonin and sent my body into shock. I felt like I had a seizure. Luckily I didn’t but the ER doc said I was soooo close. Be very careful my friend and good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:34 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That's an excellent point, substation. Many people don't realize that they can experience serotonin syndrome with tramadol if they are taking SSRI's or even something like St. John's Wort at the same time. I'm so glad you are ok.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:46 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello Alll! I am 7 days FINE after stopping Subs using Tramadol. Actually many detox centers use it, in mch higher doses than I was taking (3-4 a day) after 10-12 days I will stop. I only used it a short time so dont think I will have issues! I will update after that!
NEWLIFE4ME