It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:35 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

This is one of the first message boards i have ever joined, but i thought as what i have gone through deserved to be heard as therapy for myself, and hopefully as help for others.
I have Crohns disease, was diagnosed Nov. 2010, actually was in such abdominal pain thanksgiving night, that I thought I had or was having a burst appendix....turned out to be what i found out much later Crohns disease....bummer. That night, Nov 24 or whatever the date was for turkey day that year, 2010, I was prescribed tramadol for the first time......sadly the only medication that provided and sort of relief for my Crohns was tramadol..and at flare ups prednisone....and i have gone thru so many different cocktails, that in itself sucks big ones. Anyways, Around June or so in 2011, I began to realize, that possibly tramadol was becoming an addiction.....I had tremendous abdominal pain every morning, which was Crohns originally, but it had come to the point that I wasnt sure if in the morning this pain was caused by withdrawal from tramadol, which i typically had last 50mg dose around 4-5pm every day......so i began to take more in the morning...2 or 3 at a time, which as i said, began to make me realize the issue it was becoming. I went to my Doctor that Month, June 2010, (GI Doc), and told him my concerns, and he just brushed me off, saying that i was having a flare up from my Crohns disease, and that tramadol wasnt addictive. he actually increased my scripts to 60 a bottle instead of the 30 i was getting. I had a great deal with my insurance plan where if i ordered my scripts online, 3 month supplies, i got a month paid for free, so it was a great savings. BUT...I know got 180 about every 1.5 month after that.....which for someone who sometimes enjoys a pain pill high.....was BAD.
So i began to not even realize it, just taking more and more every day.....not really keeping count.....i then in 2011, during my period of another medication i was given to control my crohns disease, made me feel terrible every day. I was faking every day to everyone that things were great.....i was a happy go-lucky guy, no one ever realized how much i was hurting.
So i began to keep track of everything in my body, just to see if anything could stop this Crohns disease. So i count my tramadol amounts.....and to my surprise, i was averaging 7-10 a day, and some days would take 12-14....it caught me by surprise....however, as i said my meds for crohns were not working, I had moved to near UNC by this time, which had a way better GI dept, than Savannah, where i had been for the previous 10 years previously.....so my doc here at UNC, got me off these other meds, and within days, I felt 10000 times better.....it was wonderful, but I was still on the tramadol.....I could not stop.....that was when i realized that I had an addiction.....these abdomen pains every morning, was withdrawal.....so i began to keep track every day of how many i took. I knew i had to quit.....I decided to try to ween myself off, 50mg a week. i was at 10-12 a day, totally kept track, and kept cutting back till i was eventually got it down to 2-3, a day....i had done it!!!! at least i thought I had......then I get another delivery of 180 in the mail, some mistake was made, and they actually sent me another 180 bottle a few days later.....i have 360 tramadols, and it was quite easy for me to have a terrible day at work, or on a day off, to say screw it, and take 3-4 at once, get a nice buzz......i got right back to 6-10 a day.......i had kept this hidden from everyone.....even my wife....tilll about a month ago, she went thru my bag i carried to work every day, and had found my bottle with 200 plus pills....she had thought i had been taking 1-2 not every day......i told her the truth......and then told her that it had gotten so bad, that just a few days before i had taken 14 between 7-10am.......i couldnt stop.....it was terrible. i had tried a few times to do it myself, and couldnt do it......i told my GI doctor at UNC about what had happened....he referred me to some docs to help me.....so anyways, last weekend my doc got the mailed 3 month supply cancelled, and gave me one bottle with 120, and said this is it.....get help....you know you have an issue, you came to me, i am proud of you, so go get this and take care of it.
So i met with the new Doc, who last Tuesday told me of suboxone.....and decided that although tramadol was considered a weak pain drug, that she had noticed(as everyone seems to have if you look online) how addicting it is, and how easy it is to get it online......well my wife and i are having our first baby in May...i wanted to be off tramadol....for both of them, and for me.....we are going back to savannah next weekend for a party to celebrate the baby with friends and such, and we were worried that maybe i should wait to get on the suboxone till after the party......I told the doc about this, and she said, listen, you took 12-14 in a 3-4 hour window just a few weeks ago, you really think you can control yourself till after next weekend, then go for it, what ever u think it best........I said to my wife screw it, I so want to be off these Tramadol....lets make it satuday(today)....well i was advised by my doc, that i had to wait 24 hrs of no tramadol before i could take the suboxone.....the last 3 i took was noon yesterday, and all I can say is that from 7am tilll noon today was the most awful, painful, terrible, withdrawal, i have ever gone thru,,,,i had it all baby, skin crawling, sweating, chills, puking, the shits, everything.....when 24hrs hit, i took half my dose as directed and waited 15 minutes to see if i had any sort of adverse reaction....i didnt notice much of a change, so i took the other half....and within 30 mins....baby i was back.......i felt great....the W/D just completely went away.....I admit i was abit more agitated today, but other than that, ........it has been wonderful......this drug has worked for me so far....i thank the fact that it has happened, and that for the first time since Nove 22, 2010 I have not had a tramadol pill in over 36 hours at this listing..........its AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!
so i know i have at least a year of this med, but my god, any of you with tramadol addiction, all i can say is, go to the doctor.....they can help you..........YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!! IF YOU HIT THE POINT WHERE THE ONLY REASON YOU ARE TAKING THE DRUG IS TO STOP THE W/D.....THEN YOU KNOW ITS TIME TO GET OFFF.....This stuff works!!!

Thank you.....this is my story so far, lets hope it stays like this....I have a long road to full recovery, but have passed the frist major hurdle.

you can do anything if you are determined,

oh and FYI- the 100 tramadols i had left....my wife and i flushed them together......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:20 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

[font=Arial] [/font]
I have had very little experience with Tramadol. In Australia, the usual drug indicated for moderate to high pain is PANADEINE FORTE (500mg paracetamol / 30mg Codeine). Script is neccessary. Abuse is low, though definitely there. BTW, paracetamol is the equivalent of
acetaminophen. It is considered the more dangerous in O/D due to liver toxicity. One fellow I knew took 30 tramadol a day (not sure of dose) and no addiction. Stopped after one year. Is Tramadol addictive like other opioids?

Post subject: YOUCANDOIT
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:59 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hello youcandoit , welcome to the forum. I have been around this site for a long while now but I did not decide to start posting until recently. I just read what others had written and experienced up until a few days ago. I decided it was time to chime in lol.
I am so proud of you for realizing your addicton and having enough common sense to know what your body was telling you. A lot of addicts remain in denial for much longer than you did. I am also happy to hear that the suboxone is working so well for you. For some people switching from ultram or tramadol over to sub therapy can be tricky, so you are very lucky you have not encountered any issues with the change-over. Other than your brief withdrawl phase of course.

Some people have issues because tramadol has a lot of the same properties as the ssri drugs or anti-depressant drugs. I don't know if you were aware of this or not. For many suboxone seems like agony for a while if the addict decides to stick with it after stopping tramadol or ultram. They go through a period of withdrawals that has nothing to do with opiates, but rather withdrawals a person would encounter if they had become dependant on an anti-depressant and then stopped taking it. I am happy to know that this did not happen to you. If for whatever reason you DO start to feel some effects that are not pleasant just know that is is most likely the ssri qualities of the tramadol leaving your body and that if you stick with the subs the bad feelings will eventually stop.

To answer the question of JohnB007- YES Tramadol is considered an opiate medication and although if it is taken properly it is rarely addictive, most people find as with all opiates tolerance occurs and then the increase in usage is soon to follow. Once a large doseage is taken over a period of time Tramadol and ultram can become just as addictive as any other opiate mediction. Personally I believe tramadol and ultram are garbage drugs brought to the pain management industry as a way to force patients in chronic pain to use it as an alternative to the more highly addictive drugs like codiene, and oxycodone. They wanted to prove a point that they could formulate a medication that is totally man made and has anti-depressant properties to try to prove themselves right that anti-depressants do help people manage chronic pain issues. I cannot count the times I had doctors try to prescribe me anti-depressants instead of pain meds for my chronic pain condition. They would either try to prescribe them along with a few pain pills or just offer me the anti-depressant alone with the promise that anti-depressants help pain and would help my condition within a couple of weeks of taking the meds. I always had to decline their offers though as I had already tried taking almost every single anti-depressant on the market and none of them helped me with anything except for making me feel worse. Not to mention it pissed me off that they would rather shove anti-depressants at me and LIE stating each time "This is a better option because they are not addictive" BOLOGNA. I am aware that for some the benefits of taking anti-depressants DO help them manage their pain, and that is GREAT for THEM, but I also know plenty of people who are addicted to anti-depressants, desperately want off of them but face horrid withdrawals if they dare stop taking them. Even after tapering a long term user of anti-depressants to AID them in discontinuation of the medication they still present to ER's in terror or spend endless night laying awake without any hope to get some sleep. They lose their appetite, become extremely suicidal and it takes six months at best for them to start feeling any type of normal again. Then they usually face another challenge something like OCD that can last for well over a year. My point is that tramadol is addictive and possibly even worse than your more potent pain drugs. Not only is it addictive but it has the potential to cause all the side effects I described at discontinuation. Thats why I say it is a terrible drug and I honestly believe within the next fifteen to twenty years we will start hearing ads for companies who make this crap getting law suits much like the trashy drug Darvocet. It's funny I had that drug pushed on me too by several doctors. I was even prscribed Darvocet for restless legs syndrome while I was pregnant. It did help the restless legs, but it also caused my kidneys to fail and I almost died in the Hospital after giving birth to my youngest son because of this junk. These junky synthetic drugs literally make me angry for other patients to this day. Sorry for rambling, but I believe someone needed to address this.

Oh yeah, and I also know the difference between dependance and addiction before anyone tries to correct me. The people I speak of on anti-depressant drugs ARE addicted to them, Not simply dependant.

Now back to YouCANDOIT, you sure CAN! I am proud of you and I hope you feel a great sense of accomplishment for getting out there and finding yourself some help for your addiction. You hit the nail on the head when you stated you noticed a horrible pain in your stomach that was not there in the morning before the opiates but suddenly every morning the pain was intensified. You were exactly right to blame withdrawals because that is exactly what was happening to you. It would be great if everyone listened to their bodies the way you obviously do. I am so glad you reached out and found help for your addiction but I also want you to know that suboxone is not a cake walk for everybody. Not everyone has an easy time getting stabalized on sub and some people have negative reactions to the suboxone. Then if you are planning to eventually taper and discontinue suboxone, Well that is a whole other discussion. Good luck to you and I hope everything keeps looking up for you in your recovery.