It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:10 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Happy Monday!! I wanted to post an update to this thread, as I have felt some changes after being on Suboxone now for around 3 months. I previously felt some concentration problems as soon as I began Suboxone maintenance. Within the past week, I’m not sure what happen but my level of concentration has seemed to return to normal. I’m not having that cloudy feeling anymore, I’m quite happy about this change. I felt this was important to post for any newcomers to Suboxone maintenance.

During the past three months, I adjusted my dose quite a bit to alleviate any of the negative side effects I was experiencing. I found for me 2mg a day seems to be the right dose. Since starting Suboxone again, I have not had any thoughts/obsession for using my drug of choice. This is a beautiful thing! I have even been able to ignore a few phone calls from someone that is bad news. Long enough to where they have given up trying to call me. Suboxone is simply amazing.

With all this said, I do not plan on staying Suboxone for three years like I did the last time. I’ve been in one of the fellowships since getting out of treatment. Being honest about Suboxone has put me in a strange position, as I figured it would. At this point, I’m feeling Suboxone has turned me around long enough where I can give life another shot without medicated assisted recovery. My goal is to taper down here shortly and begin taking Neurotin as a mood stabilizer. My next doctors appointment is 2/5/14, I will be discussing this with my doc then. I’ve made a commitment to myself, if I can’t pull it together this last time, I will stay on Suboxone indefinitely.

Thanks for all your support!! SuperBuper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:56 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hey super buper :) thanks for sharing I don't know your whole story.
But I'm glad to hear you're doing well! That's amazing isn't it!
Man, you sure have conquered enormous fears of my own! Let me tell you, I have fears.
My fears are this- I've been on sub for 3 years and exactly 1 month today. I plan to ween and stop and live a life drug free. I wouldn't never imagine going back on suboxone maintenece not even at a low dose of 2 mg unless I relapsed or something, then maybe. And even then I would try not to. Just cause I know the real struggles of sub maintenance. :)

And to think of stopping sub and then taking another mind altering drug like neurontin scares me. Because I know as an addict I could take just one I neurontin I know for a little bit I maybe could but it wouldn't last long till I'm taking more and abusing drugs all over again and back a square one. I also know that after stopping sub after being on maintenece for years that I couldn't ever just start sub back up again later down the road unless I relapsed like I said, because I would start at 2 mg and then feel the need to start it all over again for another 3 years. For me I have to have mind control over my body and what I put in my mouth cause I know that my addiction wants me to keep taking things and wants me to believe I need mood and mind drugs and need long term drugs when I don't.

So I give you so much credit for being so strong and doing what you're doing cause I couldn't do that.

We are all different though even though we are the same and addiction is addiction we are all still very different. I hope you are truly able to do what you're hoping! And I wish you the very best in what ever outcome. And good job on doing well, it's always always refreshing to see others who are trying to better themselves and have actually accomplished it, especially when it comes to such a horrible and monsterous disease like addiction! So way to go!

Stay well :)
- kady

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:15 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Kady - Thanks for your response, I really appreciate it. Suboxone is a life saver and it was not easy for me to choose to go back on Suboxone. I knew if I didn't go back on Suboxone, I was not going to be able to stop. That's a fact...This time, I have chosen to use Suboxone to turn me around from the dark side, get back on track, and stop rather quickly vs long term.

Regarding Neurontin I was given this medication in treatment, I was in treatment for 30 days. The doctors recommended I stay on Neurontin long term. I ended up stopping Neurontin around 2 months after getting out of treatment. The doctors said this is a safe medication to stay on. I've read about people abusing Neurontin and that was a concern. From what I've read to abuse Neurontin you need a really high dose. Also, tolerance builds up very fast, I've read as well making it hard to abuse.

I've read on many forums Neurontin is a life saver for opiate withdrawal.. The best part is I experienced this one on one in treatment. I was given Neurontin when I was in withdrawal and I felt 80% better....

With all that said, I saw my doctor yesterday and told him I'm ready to stop Suboxone. I've already tapered myself down to 1mg a day and as of today, I took nothing except 1200mg of Neurontin. My doc prescribed me 1800mg of Neurontin a day. 600MG X 3 times a day. I know this is going to help me get off Suboxone rather easy since I've experienced this already. I was taking 1200mg of Neurontin in treatment. My wife believes when I stopped Neurontin this is when my motivation changed, became lazy, etc.. I've tried Lexapro long ago and I really couldn't handle it. I'm hoping I can use Neurontin as a mood stabilizer. I've never abused the medication before.

Here's where I'm at today... I broke the 600mg tablets in half and ended up taking a total of 1200mg of Neurontin. For me and I'm being totally honest, I do not feel a so called "high" from taking 300mg every four hours. What I did feel was a little boost in motivation, and I did not feel depressed at all. Kind of very similar what Suboxone gave me. I will keep everyone posted as the days go on.

Kady - From my experience getting off Suboxone after three years was no joke... The withdrawal from Suboxone is still nothing like Oxycodone withdrawal. Regardless, it's still a very powerful mind game to sit through. For me and getting off Sub, Neurontin helped eased the mind tremendously, helped considerably with RLS, sweats, stomach issues etc. I would highly recommend if you haven't already do some research on Neurontin. For me, it was very easy to stop taking Neurontin and I never obsessed about taking my next dose. This medication again for me will make it much more tolerable to deal with the withdrawals I'm about to experience and hopefully keep me on track for the long term.

Thanks for your response! SuperBuper

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:37 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quick Update, on the beginning of day number 3. I started feeling mild withdrawal symtoms this morning for this first time. I'm assuming the withdrawals came on a bit quicker since I was taking a low dose of Suboxone. I took 300mg of Neurontin and within one hour the withdrawal symtoms were just about non-existent. So far for me Neurontin is working to keep withdrawal at bay. I also noticed some mild stomach discomfort this AM and I illeviated that by simply going to the bathroom. Not sure if that's the Neurontin causing the stomach discomfort or the beginning phase of withdrawal. Some mild dizzyiness comes and goes and I've heard that's a side effect of Neurontin. Nothing major, totally tolerable and goes away rather quickly. Appetite is fine too, and sleeping is a little interesting. The first night my sleep was very deep and I usually don't sleep this way. Last night I found myself up and down a lot not sure if I was dreaming.

Today, my son has a double header baseball game and I know I'm going to be able to enjoy the game. I'm going to take 300mg of neurontin three times today and see how things go, I will update on my progress.

Hope, I'm okay posting this update on this thread if not please let me know.

Thanks, SuperBuper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:45 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Day number 5 off Suboxone... Sunday, I felt some mild withdrawal symtoms. As soon as I dosed with 300mg of Neurontin within one hour the withdrawal symtoms again were non-existent. The only symptoms I currently have is a bit of yawning. I'm waking up in a good mood, zero depression and quite honestly feel great. Curious to see how the days to come will be.

See ya! SuperBuper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:43 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hope I'm not boring anyone here with my updates.... I'm also wondering if I should have created a new thread off stopping Suboxone...regardless, I really wanted to share about jumping off Suboxone and using Neurontin....I know this may not help for everyone, possibly people that have tolerance to Neurontin may not be able to use this med for withdrawal symptoms.. This is now my second time using Neurontin and its pretty amazing..

Beginning of day 6 now....up at 1:17AM is not the norm for me...first bout with Insomnia... Also, my first bout with withdrawal that tested my mental state... All day long at work, I felt decent, very alert, yawning a lot, but nothing more. Only taking 300mg of Neurontin every 4 hours or so...

This evening around 6:30PM, I felt some aches, little bit of some chills, I was cold.. Still have my appetite... This feeling kept me on the couch watching the Olympics... With an awesome supportive wife that knows I have to try this to be convinced Sub is for life. Ended up hitting the bed a bit early tonight around 8:30PM..

Woke up around 12:30AM and found myself not able to go back to bed...felt a bit warm with the normal aches, at this exact time this is the strongest withdrawal symptoms I have felt, still nothing major... at this point, my last dose of 300mg Neurontin was right around 6PM... I have been very careful with upping my dose of Neurontin in fear of gaining tolerance so I'm using the medication sparingly. Also using it sparingly to test where the threshold of withdrawal may be located. Got out of bed at 12:30AM and took another dose of 300mg Neurontin...I laid back down for about 30 minutes staring at the ceiling, still feeling a bit like crap..I decided to get up write this update.. I also decided to take another 300 mg of Neurontin (I'm prescribed 600mg three times a day) hoping I can get some rest before work. It's now 1:24, and I'm guessing about an hour since my first dose and I'm feeling much better.. I am not kidding withdrawal is now just about non-existent. Again, this is the first time I felt, I wouldn't say strong withdrawal but something that had me thinking "Oh crap maybe I was wrong about this the entire time"...

My head is feeling great, I'm not depressed, I have zero obsession to use.....I know for a fact this is not the way I would feel if I was doing this without Neurontin. Again, I am not feeling high on Neurontin.. I did experience some dizziness at first that is a thing of the past, for me, I definitely feel the dose hit me, but it's nothing more for me than taking Sub first thing in the morning and an hour later feeling relief. The same relief I felt when I was taking 16mg.

I'm really curious how the days to come will be now that I'm in that Window of withdrawal.

Also, want to note, I'm carry one 8MG strip of Suboxone in my wallet for an emergency....I literally forget this life saving med is sitting in my wallet. No obsession period to take Suboxone, and the first time I exited Sub, I never had obsession to use any opiates. This I found much different when I came off Oxycodone.. the obsession was always incredibly strong to use for me... I also never forgot about that pill in my pocket.

I'm going to bed, I'm feeling a bit tired now!! Talk soon!

SuperBuper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:43 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

8:27AM...at work... Withdrawal is definetely noticable.. Rapid fire sneezing (2 times), eyes feel like they are glassy, aches, etc.... I took 600mg of Neurontin and 2 Aleves (Naproxen). Within one hour, I felt so much better. Completely tolerable, able to take kids to school, even laugh a bit with my neighbor, and go to work. At this point, even with the medication I'm taking it feels like I'm coming down with something (FLU), but it's not that bad at all. Neurontin really seems to be helping me mentally as well. Have to get to work!

SuperBuper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:05 pm 

Hi Super Buper,

No, you are not boring people with your updates! I think people are just offering fewer responses now that you're settled on a course of action.

You were wondering if your thread should be be moved, since the original question has been answered and you're now off suboxone. It's actually just up to you! I'd be happy to move your thread to the "stopping suboxone" section if that's where you want it. Just let me know!

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:55 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Last update here... Day number 8 without Suboxone..... Neurontin is helping out quite a bit with the mental side of withdrawal. Around day 6 and 7 withdrawal was at it's strongest for me... Still very mild, not even close to comparible as a full opiate agonist. Haven't missed a day of work, been at my kids baseball practices, helping around the house. Quite honestly, now I'm not sure why I checked myself into a 30 day treatment to get off Suboxone the last time. Then again, I was playing around with other crap as well so it did help. All in all, this is much easier than what I previously thought.

I'm working with a great sponsor that has over 25 years clean, hitting more meetings now and staying on Neurontin long term. My sponsor has mentioned Neurontin is a great medication. He mentioned his wife is on Neurontin and was the only med that works as a mood stabalizer. Hopefully this will be the trick for me to stay clean!

I also want to note, I am fully supportive of anyone on Suboxone long term, even if someone is in the program.. I truly believe someone is considered clean on Suboxone.. It's one life saving medication and I'm thrilled it's available!

Thanks to all for all your support!!

SuperBuper