It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Tortured After Surgery!
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi, this is my first post on suboxforum and I'm glad to have found it. I am in my middle thirty's and have a severe case of Tourette Syndrome. I jerk my body so violently that I have ruined my back (degenerative disk disease), ruined my shoulders and my knees (very painful tendinitis), My first herniated disk did not get removed surgically because of a change in insurance. So I saw a neurologist that maintained my pain with Vicodin. I slowly developed a tolerance to the dose that was prescribed and ran through my scripts very quickly and soon found my self buying more and stronger opiates to deal with the severe pain of my herniation. Then I learned of Suboxone/ Subutex and went to a psychiatrist and had to pay hundreds of $ to help with my pain. I soon became known to the MD that ran this homeopathic clinic and when I was deemed disabled by the government he took my insurance and I didn't have to pay that large amount of money anymore. Years went by and I led a relatively normal life. Then four or five months ago I was in such pain that I was basically bedridden. Finally, an MRI was ordered by my PCP and I had to have surgery on my back. I was assured by the neurosurgeon and his anesthesiologist that my surgery would not be effected by my use of Subutex. I had my surgery 13 days ago. The surgery went great, I guess, but I woke up screaming in pain and in post-op the anesthesiologist who was not my surgeon's had a different approach to my excruciating pain (I felt everything) he put me on a Ketamine drip so that pain medication would work. It took 28 hours until the pain medication started to work a little. They could not give me buprenorphine because of the medication the surgeon used in surgery. I had to endure the worst pain of my life because the doctors at the hospital all had different approaches when dealing with a patient that was on this drug (buprenorphine). I was suppose to be on Subutex to maintain my pain but was not allowed. I have broke my contract with my Homeopathic MD and I also have a contract with my neurosurgeon! Catch 22! I have tried to get all my doctors on board. But the lack of communication between my Dr.'s is scaring me. I am on 30 mg of Morphine ER 2 times a day. I am recovering nicely but I do not want to get back on the Subutex because of my experience (what if I need emergency surgery!). I do not no what to do except keep bugging my Dr.'s? I tried to stop the Morphine the other day because my pain level has drastically decreased but, I felt the first stages of opiate withdrawal. I know that I will need to be on some sort of pain management because my Tourette's have, and continue to hurt my body. Any advice or suggestions? :shock: d[font=Arial] [/font]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello and welcome to the forum. What a horrible experience to go through and I'm sorry that you suffered so. It's terribly unfortunate that your doctors are so ignorant about suboxone.

It's obviously your decision whether to go back on suboxone or not, but just consider that if you don't, how will you manage your pain? You could very well end up back on pain meds and back in active addiction. Yes, there's surgeries to contend with, but to me it's a small price to pay. Sometimes it's larger, I'll admit that.

Here's an NIH paper on how to treat acute pain in sub and methadone patients. We usually offer this to people before any surgeries they have. It offers different ways on treating pain for people in accidents or planned surgeries.

Maybe this will help you in your decision. Good luck to you and feel free to ask any questions you may have and we'll try to help you out. Again, welcome to the forum.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:06 am 

Hatmaker,

Were you going to provide a link to the OP? Or did you do that by PM? I only ask because I would like to see that paper too, but I didn't see a link.

Jamba,

I'm so sorry you had to go through this experience! It would seem logical for everyone on your team at the hospital to be on the same page with your pain management, but perhaps logic is too much to expect in a hospital setting. I also want to say Welcome! We are glad to have you here!

Amy

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:19 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Oops...sorry. I get to typing so fast that I forget to insert that link. Thanks for catching that. Here it is:

http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1812

For future reference, that thread is the first one (a "sticky") in the Links section of the forum. The thread title is something like "Treating acute pain for sub patients".

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:19 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

[font=Arial] [/font]Thank you for the link! I wish I would have had that information before they operated on my back. I was so worried before the surgery and my Subutex Dr. assured me that I had nothing to worry about. Also, the neurosurgeon and his anesthesiologist both were familiar with how to treat me. Unfortunately, after the surgery both my surgeon and his anesthesiologist were long gone! The hospital staff had too many doctors with too many opinions on how to treat me that I was left with the wrong approach(in my very humble opinion). No one needs to suffer like I did! I live in the U.S. and had my surgery at a very reputable hospital. There needs to be more consensus when dealing with patients that are on Suboxone/Subutex treatment. :D

I just, finally, spoke with my pain doctor and I have an appointment with him next week. He told me to keep taking my medicine as prescribed until the night before my appointment and he will detox me from the narcotics. I'll have to pay out of pocket this time. :( I'm not to sure how he will "detox me"?