It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:43 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Once upon a time when I was home detoxing I took a naltrexone on the fourth day. I thought by then I would just finish it off a bit faster and surely it couldn't be too bad, after all, after 3.5 days, surely the remaining withdrawal would be minimal and 4 hours later I'd be over it all!!
I'VE NEVER BEEN MORE WRONG IN MY LIFE!
It was the worst withdrawal I've ever experienced. I ended up in hospital but all they did was give me a tiny amount of Valium. I don't think I'll ever take naltrexone, ever again!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:40 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

When naltrexone is used to get people off Suboxone, the rapid detox is not as cut and dry as for coming off full agonists like heroin. That's because naltrexone doesn't displace buprenorphine as well as it does morphine or heroin, or oxy for that matter. However it still definitely DOES precipitate withdrawal. If you took naltrexone within a few days of taking Suboxone, you will be very very SICK very quickly. And it will be like condensing the 2 weeks of Suboxone detox into 24-48 hours. In that time expect to be bedridden, writhing and contorting in excruciating pain. My body was twisting itself into all kinds of horrible shapes in order to distract from the electricity coursing through my bones. Wear a nappy if you have to!

If you're going to do it, have some hardcore benzodiazepines and clonidine handy. High doses of benzos to the point where you pass out are the only thing that will come close to bringing relief. Originally the procedure was done under a general anaesthetic. But they stopped doing that after some patients apparently asphyxiated on their vomit while "under".