It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:48 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I have been taking 8mg of Suboxone Films for about a year. My insurance changed and started charging me an arm and a leg, so I decided to try generic Subutex pills. For the past month I have been taking Subutex and I do not feel like myself. I feel like I am always on the boarder of withdraws. My stomach hurts all the time, I just do not feel well in general. Has anybody had this issue when they switched? Is this normal and will I get used to the Subutex?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think I just answered this question last week-- which is fine-- but the strange thing is that the experience most doctors have is patients WANTING to be on plain buprenorphine, INSTEAD of Suboxone.

On a small note, 'Subutex' was a brand name that was discontinued in the US about 5 years ago, at the same time that Suboxone tabs were discontinued to make room for Suboxone Film. The word 'Subutex' is common on discussion boards, but it is not present on insurance formularies or in pharmacy order books. Instead, there are about five companies that make sublingual buprenorphine. One of those generic companies made the medication that you were taking.

I guess the point is 'less small' in that those different formulations of buprenorphine dissolve at different speeds and have different 'fillers'. It is possible (but not proven or even studied) that some formulations get absorbed better than others. We know that about 40% of Zubsolv gets absorbed through the oral mucosa compared to about 30% of Suboxone tablets-- and the reasons for that difference are not fully known (unless perhaps by the chemists at Orexo, makers of Zubsolv!). It may be that your formulation of buprenorphine is absorbed worse than Suboxone Film.

My opinion is that differences in absorption are not the issue though. My opinion is an opinion, based on experiences treating over a thousand people with buprenorphine medications. It is not 'fact'. But first, if you are taking more than 12 mg of buprenorphine it is hard to imagine how even a major change in absorption could explain subjective symptoms. Second, as I wrote earlier, complaints about buprenorphine are much less common than complaints the film. If buprenorphine tabs were flawed, I would expect to have heard more negative comments over the years.

People are VERY loyal to the type of buprenorphine they take. Almost every change in brand, manufacturer, shape, color, or size of tablet results in complaints about the new medication. If the change is forced by insurance, most patients eventually stop complaining and become loyal to the new medication. These are just my observations, and people will conclude what they want from them.

My advice would be to see if you have any other options. The brand products have discount coupons at their web sites, and Suboxone Film's coupon reduces the copay (it used to eliminate the copay, then it reduced it to $15... I'm not sure what it does now). And check your insurance formulary, which lists covered meds and the tiers they are on. Maybe Zubsolv is available at a higher tier but at a lower price with their coupon.

If you stay on plain buprenorphine, realize that different pharmacy chains will have different forms of the drug. One might agree with you more. Finally, read my blog post about absorbing buprenorphine: https://suboxonetalkzone.com/optimizing-buprenorphine-absorption/

Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:47 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

okay so my insurance has changed here in Ohio which is Medicaid I've been on Suboxone films for over a year now we have to take the pills with the cross on the back and it says N8 on the front and it looks like the Octagon six-sided pill I haven't seen those in a long time but the nurse showed me a picture of the email she received of what we will be taking. I don't like the generic round orange Suboxone with a n on them I can say this they did not work for me I felt like I took nothing I did not enjoy them I'll never get on them ever again. I see a lot of people saying they discontinued them and everything else but why would the nurse show me a picture of the Octagon sub pills I just don't know I'm curious. I've done a lot of research and looked up the Suboxone pill with the N8 on the front and it says they still make them I just haven't seen them in years I like them a lot. Feel free to tell me what you guys have experience cuz I'm curious obviously that's why I'm here

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:58 pm 

Hey Batman.

I'm not positive about all generic buprenorphine pills but I do know they do NOT make the orange stop sign suboxone brand pills any longer. They had the N8 on one side and I believe a cross also. Suboxone brand only makes the strips now. So if she showed u a picture of that exact pill then she made a mistake. They don't make them any longer. Hopefully someone will back me up on this because I'm almost positive that I'm correct about that.

There's all different kinds of generic buprenorphine out there these days. There's also Bunavail, which is a strip like thing that goes on the inside of ur cheek. There's zubsolve, it's a pill that's smaller with a minty type taste. There's a few choices out there if ur going to have to stop ur preferred brand. I hope this helps ya a little bit.