It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 8:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Employment Drug Test
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:31 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello, I have been visiting this site for information over the years and would like to say first this is a great forum for the bup. I finally decided to create a profile on the forum instead of being a ghost in the background. I have been on sub for a little over 10 years. I am now 31 and have a family. I use to take pills (vic,perc,oxi,etc.) until I found sub and realized it is not as damaging and less expensive among other reasons. I have cut my dose down from 1 1/2 a day to a 1/4 a day over the past few years. I only take a 1/16 at a time and take about 4 of those a day. While I feel accomplished in doing so I would like to soon be off completely. I have found out that regardless of how much you cut down, the withdrawal symptoms are still the same. They may be a little less extreme and do not come on as fast but do still come on. I came on this forum today to ask about pre employment drug testing. Moreover if anyone knows or had experience with a company testing for bup. I have a job now but am trying to get a better job with a big corporation company, this job I will be making 40K a year. I have worked there in the past and got laid off. It is a union job and the layoff was based only on seniority. I basically have the job I passed the background check. I took the physical and the drug test already. I am waiting to hear back from them with the results. The wait is killing me. I stopped taking subs for about 2 1/2 days before I took the test. I am not sure what panel test it is. I am almost sure they only gave me a 5 or 10 panel test, but almost doesn't help. I guess I will know soon enough. I think I'm looking for peace of mind here but not sure if I will get it. I don't do anything else. Also I know people who work there and know that a lot of people have put in a good word for me to get back in. Between the interview and everything else it has been a very long process just trying to get back in there. I'm talking a couple of months. If I went through all of this had all these good people put a good word in for me and really try to help me get back in there then fail a urine test, it would be such a blow. Then everyone who does not know I take sub will know now. Including my father who works there. I could kind of deal with people finding out, as much as it would suck I would kind of welcome finally coming clean with my father. Just would rather it not be in such a hugely personal way. On top of that blowing a financial gain like that will be pretty depressing. Along with having to go back to the job I have but don't like. I hope if it does come back +, they will give me a chance to explain. But I highly doubt it. I'm sorry I feel like I may be ranting. Just really looking for any peace of mind. And sorry if I'm not even putting this in the right spot on the forum. I will for sure post again to say how it all went.

Post subject: Re: Employment Drug Test
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Even if they screened for Buprenorphine and it is present the results go to a medical review officer and it is protected medical information. Show them your script and shouldn't be any problem. Locally, none of the screening clinics test for it. I am not sure but I believe that information is protected medical information and does not go to the business. Someone with a clearer legal understanding may be along to shine more light.
If I did my math right you are taking a total of 2 mg a day. That and not taking it for a couple of days it might not show up even if tested.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thank you. I prob should have mentioned that I do not have a prescription. I feel that if I get one then I will never get off. Or I worry that I would end up being prescribed more than I need. I too believe that if they do test for it that it will be out. But how certain can I be that it was in fact out of my system. I have a fast metabolism too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:32 pm 

Hi and welcome to the forum (officially). I moved your post to its own topic in Misc. Suboxone Issues. I hope this will make it more visible for others to comment on.

Volvo just settled an EEOC complaint of a person not being hired on because he was taking his prescribed buprenorphine medication. Link here: https://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/newsroom/release/1-19-18a.cfm

Are you under the care of a physician? It could be more difficult if you can't show a prescription by your doctor. That's if they find buprenorphine in the drug test.

Tapering can be done without withdrawal symptoms, but you would have to be patient enough to drop down by small increments, let your body get used to the lower dose and then drop again. It seems that you are in a hurry to get off, so yes, you are going to feel some discomfort.

Keep us posted about the drug test and how everything plays out!

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:36 pm 

P.S. Any good suboxone doctor will work with you in terms of tapering off. My doctor, for example, is ready to support me whenever I make the decision to taper off of buprenorphine. He doesn't push anything on me.

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thank you amy. I noticed it was moved and I appreciate that. like I said I do not have a prescription so that option is out the window. I have cut down a lot. I wouldn't say I'm in a super hury to stop. just something I want. would there be any way to know for sure if it was out of my system.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Bupe isn’t included in a “standard” drug screen. The company has to specifically ask for it if they want it tested. You didn’t give any indication of what type of industry you are in, so it’s hard to wager a guess.
I am also on 2mg/day. I’m just curious - why do you take your 2 mg in 4 doses?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:42 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

just doing it in small amounts so I can taper off. at this point if I took 2mg all at once it would be too much.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Got the job. Looks like I’ll be moving to Alabama. Lol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sounds about like the extremes you have to go through in order to get a job with Southern Company // Alabama Power.

I know personally how hard it is to get a job with them... it's a union job also.

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:26 pm 

Congratulations on getting the job!! You must be very happy!

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:54 am 

That's a big deal! Congrats!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:33 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Congrats on the job! Let me welcome you to Alabama. I’ve been here my entire life and there are actually a lot of clinics and private doctors if in most urban areas. I only say that because I feel you may find yourself needing to get a prescription for legal reasons and for a tapering down plan. Best of luck!