It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Help is coming
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:20 pm 

Hey everyone, Razor here,
It was announced on November 16 from the HHS that Nurse P and PA s can now train and rx Buprenorphine begining in 2017.
They must take a 24 hour training course starting now and can have up to 30 people to begin.

This will help in getting more medicine in the hands of people just like us who suffer from Substance Use Disorder.

A good day in the fight .

Post subject: Re: Help is coming
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:33 pm 

My clinic just hired a nurse practitioner. She isn't able to prescribe buprenorphine yet and I bet that's why. I heard she will be able to start before long. That'd make things run a lot quicker at my clinic. Thanks for the info razor :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I had encouraged a few NP's I know to apply, but I bet they balk when confronted with a 24 hour course vs the physician 8 hour course. Hope I am wrong. The curriculum hasn't even been written yet as of today when I checked. Pretty short time frame to have PA's and NP's certified by Jan 1...

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:17 pm 

Hi Razor, thanks for that good news! So many seem to have difficulty finding a good doctor. Hopefully, this will really give people the opportunity to start the path to recovery!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:07 pm 

It would sure be great if some of us here could help teach the course. They would know the real truth for sure and save more lives. I used to teach classes to adults and made the day fly by with lots of humor and good info. I'd give my eye teeth to be a part of this program. Put me in a classroom and I blossom. My guess is Amy would do an even better job than me. She has more current training. My CDS certification is over 2 decades old.

One can daydream, yes?

Great news all around Razor. Nurse's are used to taking continuing education. Maybe this will be just another class they'll sign up for. Crossing my fingers and wishing it to come true.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think with all the access to technology in this day and age, with phones/tablets...this site, or maybe one similar with just the facts from this site (stories from people who've been on Sub long-term, side effects, what to expect, what you can/cant take and a real world scenario from actual patients) should be something that every doctor's office has on their "guest-wifi" as one of those 'you gotta read this before you can log-in'...
If nothing else, I think it would be great if the sub doctors would pick one story from the intro section here and say "before your next appointment, you need to read THIS introduction story from this patient on Suboxone"...and send them home with a link to an intro story on this site.
Something to get people to read for themselves and traverse the void into self-education...
Personally, I'll never reach the day that I stop learning. I made myself learn so much leading up to the election about the candidates, some history I had forgotten, and I kept myself up to date on the facts surrounding the politics today. I didn't turn on Fox, ABC, NBC, CNN, CBS..I actually went and read emails... I went and read stories from other news sources in the world besides the USA. I went and found out what really happened in Syria, and why we should be in favor of leaving al-Assad in power..essentially taking a side WITH Russia on the matter..
I found what I wanted to find..the truth. Like X-Files used to say..."The truth is out there"...and I think some of the people on the news are the aliens!!
But I digress..

People are argumentative more now, than ever. So, in order to be substantive with a rebuttal ..you gotta be well-versed in a particular area. I try to teach myself as much as I can...but not everyone has that drive..and I understand that too. When it comes to addiction though, it's serious business. This is killing so many people..and it's sad that our government doesn't want to speed up the process which allows someone to essentially have their life saved.

I hope things become even more beneficial to the addicts.. I'd love to see insurance pay for addiction treatment..but in my case, I have to pay out of pocket. And many, many other people do as well. I'm very lucky that my insurance pays 80% of the medicine..

I actually convinced my doctor to move me up on my dose because I fear the day the insurance doesn't want to cover it anymore...or I have to switch to something else..so I want to start saving what I can for that time.
We talked about moving my dose up for just 3 months so I could catch-up so to say..but I'm going to ask if I can be moved up perm...or, if that's not OK with her, I'll ask to be put on the 12mg ..and keep my dose the same. You never know when something will happen..what if I had to quit for a year or my doctor suddenly quit..I would be in trouble. And many of us would. That scares me..

On the other side of the coin, there's a wealth of information on the internet..and all it takes is time to read it. All of us know what a great benefit this site can be...but others don't...
Then there's the anti-sub crowd.. and even the anti-addict crowd..
People who don't want a sub doctor in their area because "those nasty addicts will start hanging around"...but they don't realize the addicts are already there to begin with.
The stigma of addiction still exists...and to me, that is unbelievable. In this day and time, where we've broken every moral fiber that ever existed (down to having courts determine what marriage is, and where a person should pee)...but we can't help and accept addicts who are going to eventually die if they don't get help?? It just...floors me.

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

What a blessing to find out nurses will soon be able to prescribe Suboxone. Thanks for posting. You sure know a lot Jonathon. It's a blessing you came back! Happy Thanksgiving eve!!-----Bamagirl