It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Hi
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:39 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi,
I've just joined this forum after reading the inspiring story by Diary Of A Quitter. I also spent an hour or two reading some of the other posts here and I think I might've found the place that I need.
I hope I don't bore with my (all too familiar) story, but I think it'll help if I write a bit of an introduction.
My opiate of choice was codeine, mainly because of the ease of availability, and I went onto suboxone about 2 years ago, dosage 16mg. Eventually, problems with severe constipation led me to being hospitalised and when I was out of there I began to lower my dose. I'm now on 4mg, am still having the problems with constipation, and am about to attempt a full taper/withdrawal.
I should mention that I live in Australia, and I believe the regulations are slightly different here than in the States, where I take it the majority of this forum's members reside. Over here, people on the suboxone program are required to visit a "dosing clinic" at least twice a week, and are given "take away" doses to last until the next visit. So Fridays I have my dose at the clinic and take away 2 doses, then Mondays I have my clinic dose and take away 3 doses. I've been able to accumulate a bit of suboxone by missing a dose a couple of days a week. Today my clinic stopped dispensing the tablets, and switched to the film, which I'm worried might affect my plans to use the liquid taper method, but hopefully there won't be too many issues there.
So, it's Monday, and I've just visited the clinic. I was given my first "film" dose and I have 3 x 4mg doses with me. My current script runs out this Friday, when I'll be asking the Dr to reduce the dose to 2mg.
I've learnt a bit about this drug in the last 6 months or so, and I'm pretty confident I won't have a big problem dropping to 2mg. I think my problems are going to start when I get down to the low doses required to taper off completely.
Taking a sudden jump off this stuff isn't an option for me. I work 7 days a week, driving a truck long distance, and I need to keep working. My plan is to keep accumulating as much of the stuff as I can while visiting the clinic, and then when I think I have enough, I plan to do away with the clinic and the Dr, using my accumulated store of tabs and film to taper completely.
Does anyone have an opinion, positive or negative, about this plan? Is it realistic?
I'd like to hear from anyone who has tapered off using the film. Should I dissolve it and then measure it out that way? Or can I just divide a strip into pieces and use it like that?
Thanks in advance for reading my post and for any replies.

Post subject: Re: Hi
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:26 am 

Welcome to the forum, Martin! We have a member here who has created a template to help people taper specifically from the films. He is in the midst of tapering off the films. He is at .75 mg right now. Here is his latest update: down-75mg-from-0mg-and-still-going-t8910.html

If you look at his profile you will be able to find some of his previous threads as well. I'm sure he wouldn't mind giving you some personal advice, and you may decide that you want to use his template as well.

Good luck!

Amy

Post subject: Re: Hi
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:58 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks very much for the reply Amy. That sounds exactly what I need and I'll check it out.