It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: UA's
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I am curious how often your suboxone doc requires a UA?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Jackcrack,

My last doctor required one once a month. My current doctor, however, hasn't requested one yet (since May).

Interesting question - I look forward to other answers.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:33 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I agree this is a good question... I think the federal guidelines for subs are more flexable than methadone. I was required to give a minimum of eight urines yearly with MM but my subs dr hasn't asked for one since oct.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:57 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My doc requires me to take one once a month before I am called back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:12 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I take one every time I meet with my doctor. I just finished the induction phase of my recovery and will have monthly visits from here on out, but I had five appointments in the first month and I took one everytime before we did anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:34 pm 
I've been with the same doctor since my suboxone induction in July of 2009 and as of yet, have never been required or asked to submit to a urine drug screen or any other lab work for that matter, not even on my first appointment. I am required to go in once a month for a $200 cash doctor visit and that's it. My initial appt was ~$400 cash. Doctor says that no matter how long I choose to stay on Suboxone, I'll be required to continue seeing him once every month. I wish he'd lighten up on that requirement, but over all, I can't complain!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:40 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Things may be different in the UK, I had to provide a sample every month for the first 6 months but have not been asked for one since. They can have one any time they like, I have nothing to hide from anyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:29 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It never bothered me either because I never had a bad UA. HOWEVER, in going to a new doc soon and hearing some of them wanting you to come in twice per month, I am thinking that isn't very doable when I have to work and they are 30 miles away. I am hoping the new doc will take my 2.5 year clean record and realize I do not have issues with taking my suboxone properly and/or not taking any other drugs at the same time. But who knows. He is a new prescriber so be may be really tight about it and annoying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

What exactly is the reason for a UA? Are they looking for other opiates, street drugs, or to see if the suboxone is in fact in the UA? Are these ua's sophisticated enough to show the exact type of opiate? I have always assumed opiates simply showed up positive or negative and wasn't "brand/style" specific. My insurance doesn't cover drug screen UA's, and they are 60.00 a pop, plus the office visit. This suboxone treatment has been a miracle in my life, but it does get expensive. I know, it's way less expensive than an opiate street habit so I don't complain too much about it. I was one of those guys that tried very hard to stay away from my addiction to opiates doing the 12 step program only. I love the 12 step program, but for this opiate addict, I could never stay clean more than a couple years, and as hard as I worked the program, that obsession was still always strong and it was white knuckles a lot of the time. My family physician became a suboxone provider and highly suggested long term suboxone. That was 6 years ago and I haven't had an opiate or obsession to use since induction. I take 8mg twice a day, and probably will till I die. I have a "manageable" life that I hadn't experienced from age 14 till 6 years ago at the age of 53. I don't feel one damm bit guilty about using an opiate to fight an opiate addiction. I don't know what all the fuss is about this topic anyway, as suboxone does not cause any opiate affects of euphoria that we as addicts were looking for in opiates. And yes, I am still very active in my 12 step program.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:50 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Ultra,

To answer your question about the drug test specifics. My doctor does like a ten panel test that includes specific opiates. It test for opiates, oxycodone, methadone, burenorphine, as well as amphetimines, exstacy, cocaine, THC, benzos. I can't remember what else. Anyway, they do isolate specific opiates to make sure you aren't taking anything you aren't supposed to be and also to make sure that your are taking your suboxone. It's one way along with pill counts they can try and prevent diversion. Even though we don't get any recreational value out of these things someone who is new to bup and less opiate tolerant can get really loaded so they do have street value. I've heard they go for like $20 a pop. I really think that's he primary reason for the drug tests. Even more so than to see if your on anything else. I've heard that many doctors will give there patients multiple chances to stay clean if they test positive for something they should, but if you don't have that bup on your system and you don't have the right amount of pills you probably are going to be finding a new doctor.

Sorry for the rant. Have a good one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Any dug screen positive for something it shouldn't be and/or negative for something it should be is a positive or failed drug screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ultraracer,

I can't add anything to what WhoDat already said, but I wanted to respond to your question "what's the fuss?".

There isn't any fuss at all, we're just supportive people talking about what different doctors require. We all have different experiences and it's just interesting to hear them.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: In IOP.......
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:45 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My doctor is requring IOP, which for the first month is 2 UAs a week and two face to face meetings per week. I am having troubles with pee on demand, I just cannot do it.....and they mandate that someone be in the room with me. One of the counselors told me I could have "shy bladder", I afraid that I am just shy and suffering alot of anxiety. But, they threattned kicking me out if no 2 UAs a week for first month. Currently have 20 mg of Sub left and refill on Tuesday. Feeling good on 4 per day. This is my first refill and I think my Dr will want to keep me at 8-16 per day. Want to be honest but do not want to run out. Thanks everyone for a great first month.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:18 am 
Hey everyone. Im in my 14 month clean and sober with the help of suboxone and i am required to give a urine sample each visit which is once a month. In my opinion, it only makes sense that a person would be given a Urine Analysis. Otherwise, how else could it be documented that someone is in fact drug free(no offense to anyone who doesnt have to take UA's). Anywho, thats just my opinion on the topic.

~PEACE~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:27 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hello All ~
I am seeing a doctor who requires 2 "supervised" screens per month. It is a joy -- let me tell you! LOL I have a really difficult time peeing in front of someone! But I do it.... I try not to think about it too much. Thanks for asking! FAD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:56 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My sub doctor asks for a sample about once every 4th or 5th visit. Every UA I've given him as been positive for Marijuana, but he knows I use it extremely infrequently, and I use it because it's very effective against nausea, which I suffer from -sometimes for several days, non stop- because of my Hepatitis C. He told me as long as I'm not a "daily stoner" he's not really concerned about it. I can count on one hand the amount of times I've used it in the last year. When I say "very infrequent" that's what I mean. It's really very rare......and I have no tolerance for it because of how infrequently I use it. I never really liked pot. My drug of choice was always "more" but usually in the Opiate realm. But it DOES work very effectively for the nausea when I use it, so that's the deal on that....the other thing that shows up in my UA is the presence of "Benzos" but that is because I take Ambien CR once in a while to help me sleep. Since getting on suboxone, my use of Ambien CR has fallen off to almost non existent, but I do take it a couple of times each month.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:03 pm 
I've never had a UA, not even at my induction. My doc writes me a script for 60 Subs every month, which is more than I need. He even wrote me 60 last month after we had just discussed the fact that I had been off of them for 2 weeks after my accident. For the most part he doesn't really talk to me, barely looks a me and doesn't take any interest at all in my recovery. It would never have even crossed my mind to sell them on the street (I would never do that and wouldn't even know how if I wanted to), but now that it has been mentionned, I wonder how many of his other patients are doing just that because he is so lax about the program.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:37 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

my first doctor never gave me a UA. My friend recently started seeing him and he got on the patient assistance program and they still haven't given him a UA. My new doctor whom I have been seeing since January has given me one UA. However, I am given no notification before hand.

The thing that gets me mad about the whole UA is that they send it off to a lab, which is much more expensive then just doing a standard dip stick version. I had to fork over 30 dollars so someone could test my pee! I suppose they have to do it that way though to make sure and check I have Bupe in my system since a standard drug seven panel drug test does not detect buprenorphine.

I've heard the Nurse at my Doctor's office say something about a pill check for me but I go in every 30 days and I'm supplied a sixty day supply so at the time of my visit I would not have any left anyways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:17 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

mayunholdup wrote:
. My new doctor whom I have been seeing since January has given me one UA. However, I am given no notification before hand.

I'm pretty sure the whole point of the testing is to incorporate some element of surprise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:47 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I am very much aware of that. However, the other people who posted on here didn't say anything about having random UA's. They all seemed to be scheduled or they knew of them in advance.