It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Hi
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:37 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hello everyone, new here even though I have been a lurker for a few months. I'm sure most people start out that way. I am 35 years old and I live in Texas. I have been on Suboxone since January, but have been prescribed and under a Doctors care since September. I do not have health insurance so I could not afford the cost up front for the visit and the prescription so I did purchase from the street. The only reason that I can now afford to see a doctor-well, basically-my spouse found my Suboxone and threatened to take away my daughter if I didn't seek treatment even though I was taking it to stay off pills-(I really do not believe my SO knows much about Suboxone although claims otherwise)so naturally I picked an outpatient addiction doctor.....that prescribes Suboxone!I am thankful for getting "caught" so now I do not have to hide it-and I get it paid for and prescribed. I started off at the doctors office at 16mg/day but I am now at 12mg-I like that dose so I am not interested in tapering at the time being. I had a long affair with opiate medication since I was 18. I was always a functioning addict but to say it didn't consume my life would be a big ol' lie. So...hello everyone, hope y'all are doing well

Post subject: Re: Hi
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:49 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think most of us share the same story. For whatever reason, we all have seen plenty of that opiate lifestyle. It manifests in different ways, but each one leads to one of two results..we either want out, or we want more. For us who manage to survive and get out, there's no doubt to whether we made the right choice.
I started legally with pain pills. I didn't know what I was getting into..was young and naive. I spent most of my 20s involved in some sort of opiate addiction...early-on it was smaller-dose lortab/etc. Mid to late 20's it was Oxy. I got into Oxy about 2 years before they changed it up to make harder to abuse..
I remember all I had to do was scrape off that blue coating....chop it up..and smell of it. Never once stuck a needle in myself...but it was leading to that. When I got help, I was searching for heroin and just never found it. Thank God I didn't and got out..because now, in this area (from Bham to Montgomery, eastward to Atlanta as well) heroin is EASILY and READILY available...

My story is here in the intros..and it describes a long journey...and has much of the same as everybody else...wife, kids, family, friends lost, illegal activity...years of hard work on reputation and trust to get back to being a productive member of society again...

Far as me, and suboxone.. I am probably one of the few here who have been on Sub nearly 10 years. I started in February of 2008..but nothing serious because of finances and how expensive it used to be. In July 2008, I found a doctor to start making monthly visits and was able to stick with it...and been with it since.

I'm trying to get back into visiting here daily, as I used to be a regular member here for a couple years..but just got away from the computer for a bit. Being that I beta test many things for a few companies...I am being forced to spend more time at my computer now..so I'm wasting time making visits to pages I haven't been to in a very long time when I sit here each day.

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:01 pm 

Welcome HTOWN,

You do whatever is needed to stay off the opiates. I too have an affinity for pain meds and will stay on Suboxone for as long as needed. It's far better to maintain a slight dosage than to be in active addiction. To me, Suboxone is a miracle drug. And if the day ever comes that I know deep down it's time to stop, I know this is the place with all the answers. Thousands upon thousands of helpful posts on how to stop successfully. If that day ever comes.

Glad to have you with us.

rule

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:43 pm 

Hello Htown and welcome!

Suboxone saves my life every day. I had such a run with trying everything to stay in recovery but nothing worked for me long term because the cravings destroyed it. I went 6 months and the cravings were so debilitating that I became a hermit pretty much lol. Then I found suboxone treatment and my life changed that very day. Also if ur happy at 12mg then stay there til ur ready to drop again. There's no harm in that at all imo. I'm comfortable on 8mg and that's where I'm staying until I feel ready to drop. Ya know, ppl wanna talk about this treatment should not be long term and that's ridiculous imo.

Glad u found us and ur very welcome here! :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Htown, Congratulations finding yourself the Suboxone Dr. I know you must be relieved. I actually thought I was loosing my Dr a couple weeks ago, but thank goodness a replacement was found at my clinic. You have been on Suboxone just a little longer than I have. LOL AND I ALSO am on 12 mgs. But I do take my prescribed 16 mgs a few times a week when I am having pain in my legs. I an a chronic pain patient as well as addiction. Suboxone treats BOTH. What a blessing. I'm glad you found this forum and I hope to hear from you again soon. Have a great weekend. Bamagirl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:36 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thank you all. I've read quite a lot of the posts-new and old over the months(almost a year) before I actually registered and posted. My doctor is a wonderful one-I am lucky. I was worried about her perspective on long term use because at my first appointment, the plan was to start at 16mg and taper to 1mg and jump from there all in 4 months time. From what I have learned from this forum,and agreeing- the rate of relapse is high with short term use(with opiate addicts in general, period). Surprisingly at my last appointment, she is rethinking that approach( 2 of her graduates relapsed) and she wants everyone to stay where they want to stay for however long they would like to stay there. So that gave me some relief-a lot actually.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi HTOWN,

Welcome to the family. I am the grandmother here and I am so glad you found Suboxone.

I just typed a lot and my arthritis is kicking up in my fingers but I wanted to welcome you.

Love, Queenie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:26 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Well, thank you-thank you for welcoming me despite your pain. As Bama stated in one of her earlier posts when she first joined, I feel like I already know all of y'all from binge reading when I first came across this forum

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:19 am 

Hi HTOWN!

I think it is great that your doctor discovered on her own that staying on buprenorphine longer is actually better for her patients, since that is what a growing body of evidence is showing. It's one thing to read the literature, but she is experiencing the same thing in her practice. I'm sure it was hugely relieving to you that she understands that now.

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:58 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Isn't it cool when you've been reading, lurking, around here to finally get a response? I know I was so happy when I finally got a response from Queenie. She is very special to each of us. And we are protective of each other. You can come here with any problem, and we are here to help you asap. I always said I found my people here. I feel so at home here. Sometimes I spend hours and hours just reading the old post and writing to everyone. It seems like here everyone is alike, but here in Alabama, everyone is living a lie. Does that make since? It's hard to explain, but I feel at home here and I just hope all the new people coming here feel as at home here as I do. Have a good night HTown.---Bamagirl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:16 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Amy-yes, it is pretty cool that she came to that conclusion on her own. For the last few months, I have been hinting for her to check out the forum as a nudge to sway her that way. I have dreaded my upcoming appointments because she always asks if I have been tapering as planned-and I have-kind of. I had surgery in October so that kinda messed with the plan a little. This appointment before she asked, I told her I would like to stay put for a little while ( example a, b, c) and she said you know, I think I changed my outlook on the 4 month taper and then told me why. She really is a great dr, she is still open for learning-which is awesome!
Bama-actually, I could have stayed a lurker forever. Because of my work schedule right now, I do not have any meetings to attend, so this forum, this will be my meeting. I am content reading everyone else's posts and advice-but I do understand what you mean. I hope you had a good evening!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

HTOWN
Some of us are open to new information and reflect on what is happening to our patients. Glad you found one who's practice is evolving.
Some useful sites I have found that you could print off and show her:
http://www.suboxforum.com/ (of course)
http://suboxonetalkzone.com/
https://janaburson.wordpress.com/
http://pcssmat.org/ Probably has this already from taking the DATA 2000 Waiver.
PAX

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:58 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thank you, Dr. I will provide these links to her