It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

So I've had to deal with a fair amount of pain since I've started Suboxone and I'm still alive but I'm still really worried. I've talked to my Suboxone Dr. about what should be done for pain following the surgery and he suggested just taking a higher dose than my regular 8mg a day or breaking my daily dose into 3-4 different smaller doses to be taken every 6-8hours. 800mgs of ibuprofen was suggested as well. I'm sure I'll live but I guess I'm just really traumatized after what has happened in the past. Last summer I had a tooth ache so bad I ended up rocking myself in the fetal position for around 36hours with no sleep until the doctor could see me and even then I got to wait another 4 day before they could do the root canal on the tooth to relieve the pain. I guess I'm just probably getting all worried about the thought of being in alot of pain and knowing that there is nothing that anyone can do for me. I'm just scared but I have to have the tooth removed because there is the risk of it becoming infected. Has anyone else had to have a tooth extraction while taking Suboxone? What seemed to help the most? My Sub doctor really made it sound like he was uncomfortable prescribing any narcotics and my Dentist also stated that because of how large of a dose would be needed to help he's also not willing to prescribe any narcotics. Has anyone tried a really strong NSAID like toradol? Did it help at all?

Anywho happy 4'th guys :)
Take care

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Toradol is a good anti-inflammatory. My doc had me stop the sub for one day prior to my dental work which in retrospect was a joke. The Dentist gave me lortab..............my drug of choice by the way...........it did nothing. I ended up using Ibuprofen 800mg every 6 hrs or so and anbesol. It did help believe it or not. I was more sore than pain. I actually had two root canals side by side at he same time and It truly was not as bad as I thought. The pain before the procedures was worse because they were absessed. I did go back on the sub a day or two later but guess I still had enough in my system that the Lortab hadn't flooded me yet. I'm sorry that you are going through the pain for one thing. Pain and being on sub is and always has been my worst fear. I do wish you luck but to shorten my very long answer.....any anti-inflammatory will help. It won't take all of the pain away but hopefully it will get you through.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:40 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi there! I can kind of relate. I'm just about finishing my 2nd round of antibiotics for an abscessed tooth and the abscess is still there. :-(

It all started 4 weeks ago, I took doxycycline first and then after I finished that it came back 4 days later and then I waited another few days and got some penicillin for it. Yeah, it's still there. It's not nearly as bad as it was, but it's still there. I have to get the damn thing out asap. I'm just really scared. I don't have the money to get put under and I don't handle pain well. And honestly, call me an addict, but I'm not sure if I'm even gonna tell the dentist I take sub, just in case I will need something after wards.

Anyway, it's really surprising how well ibuprofen actually works when you aren't used to popping several percs a day. Really, I think you will be ok on a high dose advil or toradol like you said. I think it will work well. Don't be worried! If it worked for my abscess (we are talking a swollen face and everything) I'm thinking it may work for you as well esp along with sub. I hope it does anyway!
GOOD LUCK!

Of course there's such a thing as angels. Only sometimes they don't have wings... and we call them mothers. -Unknown

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey guys I just realized it might be a good idea to let everyone know how things went with the surgery. It was certainly not pleasant at all and my Subox doc seemed unwilling to allow me to stop taking my Suboxone several days before hand and then treat the pain with an opiate agonist until the pain had improved and quickly resume Suboxone after but he did allow me to take 4mg of Suboxone every 6-8 hours which did seem to help a little bit (my regular dose is 8mg per day). I took 800mg of ibuprofen every 8 hours as well and even had to use some tylenol 500mgs on top about every 6hours but I'm alive and although I missed a fair amount of sleep it wasn't as miserable as it could have been. Bottom line is I'm ok now :) And that tooth that has caused some pretty wicked pain over the last year or so is gone! I really think the worst part was just worrying and not knowing how bad it would hurt. I had a pretty traumatic experience when I had a spinal fusion back in 06. I obviously didn't want anyone to know I was an opiate addict then and I sure as hell wasn't going to let my surgeon know. I remember feeling like I was in withdrawal along with the crazy pain when I woke up.

The point I'm trying to make is that things were not as bad as I thought they would be and I can totally see how my past experiences have an effect on the present. I just want others here to know that in my opinion at least things were much better after I had calmed down and realized it was going to be ok and not a repeat of what had happened in the past. I really psyched myself out and I'm hoping someone else here can learn from my experience and realize that things will be ok if you're able to stay calm and use your thought process to your advantage rather than obstacle like I did :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm glad you made it through it and all is OK now. I agree, expectations can really color any experience. I worry about having some tooth problem like so many others have had and have to deal with being on suboxone and doctors' preconceived notions. Like I said, I'm glad you're OK now. Thanks for updating us.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:34 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Congrats Matt. I ran into this situation back in September of 2009. My dentist wanted my upper wisdoms extracted, as one was decaying. I was actually pretty nervous about doing this with the pain stories I've heard associated with Wisdom extraction. When I talked to my Sub Doc about it, he told me to taper off Subs for a few days prior to the extractions, and if needed, use what the oral surgeon prescribed. I really was not wanting to touch any pain meds unless it was needed, and I let my oral surgeon know this. I told him everything about my pain pill addiction. I got lucky as both came out with ease. I was in the Oral surgeons office all of 30 minutes from the time I got there to the time I left. Heck, I didn't even need the Motrin that was scripted for me.

You armed me with strength for battle, you made my adversaries bow at my feet. Psalm 18:39