It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:52 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi, I am new to this forum. I have been on Suboxone for 6 months with great results. I have a history of migraine headaches. Recently, I experienced some pretty bad ones. I took some tramadol on several different occasions. Am I going to test positive for opiates on my drug screen? I am so concerned because I've worked so hard in my recovery and do not want to ruin it over this. Thanks for your responses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:04 am 
Tramadol is not an opiate but is metabolized to an opiod in the liver. That being said, I still doubt that it would be detected by a standard dipstick test which, are usually designed to look for specific drugs like heroin, oxy, etc. I'm not 100% sure, though.
The more important question is, did you have a prescription for it? I don't think you can be penalized for taking a med that you were prescribed.
Did it even do anything for you? I know Sub blocks it's binding to the mu opiate receptor. However, tramadol also works like an SNRI, so maybe that helped your headache? Honestly, it doesn't sound like it's worth the risk. If regular OTC meds don't help maybe a doc could prescribe you something like imitrex, which isn't prohibited for recovering addicts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:23 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yes, I do have a prescription for it. The migraines I experience are quite severe, so I took something that I knew would help. In hindsight, it's worrying me so much that I took them.

The drug screen is done in office so I think it may be a standard dipstick test. Not sure if its the 5 panel or 10 panel. But I do know its done by urine and they have the results right away. I'm thinking I just want to be upfront with the dr. and tell him that I took them.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:42 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Based on the research I did online, you would not test positive for opiates (by taking Tramadol) in the Standard 5 panel dipstick test. However, I was still quite concerned about it. Anyways, I took the test and it was negative. So no worries there.
I know that Tramadol is really addicting to some but, never for me. But I don't plan on ever taking it again unless I am faced with a serious migraine. Cheers to all.