It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: took the plunge!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:58 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

well, I got my script for suboxone today...

I finally man'd the f up and went to the suboxone/methadone clinic, I was supposed to go last thursday but I pussied out worrying about the future of having an addiction in my medical records but then I realized some people have OD's in theres and well, I kinda deserve it to be in my records for the rest of my life(I am 20 y/o). As my addiction did take over a year and tens of thousands of dollars of mine... As I been using heroin for about 13 months now with little over 6-8 weeks of clean time in those 13 months.

I have been using about a gram a day intranasally and the doctor put me on 8 mg, well his exact words were take half the pill when you are at the point of the withdrawal that you would usually give up and use. With my research I think I am going to split up the pill into 8 pieces and just take one every hour until the WD symptoms subside.

any/all suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks for reading! I can't wait to get off this expensive habit and finally save !! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:37 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi 604 and welcome. And congratulations and starting suboxone and addiction remission!

When you said you would dose once per hour, were you referring to doing that for your induction only? Because once you ascertain the dose you need, once per day dosing is just fine. Suboxone has an extremely long half-life, on average 37 hours. For that reason, we are able to dose only once per day without issue. And dosing only once per day gets us out of the habit of continually popping pills all day or when we feel we need something. So once you ascertain the amount of suboxone you need per day, say 8 mg, you can dose once per day in the morning and that should last until the next morning. Now that said, some doctors do have new patients dose twice per day in the beginning of treatment.

When it comes to figuring out what dose you need, you're looking for the amount that removes your withdrawals and keeps your cravings at bay all day. That dose will vary between people - especially when it comes to addressing one's cravings.

Again, congrats on taking control of your life. Let us know how you're doing.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:34 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Good for you, especially for figuring it out sooner in your life rather than later. Hope it goes well for you!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:58 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi 604 and welcome. It sounds like you made a good decision.
I would strongly recommend taking the full 4mg when you induce, and be prepared to need the 2nd half as well. Youre coming off a large habit, you are going to need that full 8mg (and maybe more), so don't screw with your system by taking 1mg at a time!
I'm saying this in the kindest way possible, as one addict to another, part of recovery is stopping doing things "our" way. If you're going to a methadone/Sub clinic I would trust that they know what they're doing.
I wish you all the Best,
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:42 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

hatmaker510 wrote:
Hi 604 and welcome. And congratulations and starting suboxone and addiction remission!

When you said you would dose once per hour, were you referring to doing that for your induction only? Because once you ascertain the dose you need, once per day dosing is just fine. Suboxone has an extremely long half-life, on average 37 hours. For that reason, we are able to dose only once per day without issue. And dosing only once per day gets us out of the habit of continually popping pills all day or when we feel we need something. So once you ascertain the amount of suboxone you need per day, say 8 mg, you can dose once per day in the morning and that should last until the next morning. Now that said, some doctors do have new patients dose twice per day in the beginning of treatment.

When it comes to figuring out what dose you need, you're looking for the amount that removes your withdrawals and keeps your cravings at bay all day. That dose will vary between people - especially when it comes to addressing one's cravings.

Again, congrats on taking control of your life. Let us know how you're doing.

Yes, i was just going to do that for the induction as from other people's experience less is more when it comes to sub's..

I will see how it goes tomorrow as it will take me around 36 hrs to get a 26 on the COWS, which is the best time to for the induction from my research.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:12 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

wow, it took 12 mg to dull away the withdrawal symptoms. I had taken 2 mg, waiting about a hour still having symptoms, then i took the other 2 mg. Waited about another hour still had BAD withdrawal symptoms so I took the other 4 mg by that time I still had leg pains after about 6 hours since the first 2mg dose and 3 hrs since the 4 mg dose. So I took another 2 mg and that helped a bit, but by the time i wanted to go to sleep I was still having leg pains so I took the final 2 mg and after that the pains melted away...

I'm a little suprised that I needed 1.5x what the doctor had prescribed, but this morning I only took the 8mg dose and so far I am ok... I wonder how work will be tomorrow(I am a 3rd plumbing apprentice) and lets just say that the pick me up that opiates gave totally helped me at work..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:22 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

8-12 mg is a reasonable dose - not too high, not too low. And it's comfortably above the ceiling level. Just remember you want a dose that also takes care of all of your cravings. If 8 doesn't do that, then 12 might. Just listen to what your body needs. Take care and keep updating us. Hope to see you around the forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:33 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

yeah, im going to need 12 mg for now at least. As i am already having a runny nose and leg pains..

My cravings are completely gone, but the symptoms are returning and well, theres no point in suffering...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:15 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Congrats on getting on the Sub and into recovery 604!! I've been taking Suboxone/Subutex for almost two years.......and my life is SOOOOOOO much different now, than it was before! I remember so clearly.......the first day (after I had begun Sub treatment) that I awoke without being in withdrawl...........I WAS SO HAPPY, I STARTED CRYING!!

If taken properly, this medication can help you so much Man!! I'd also suggest to you to try and seek out a support system.....whether it be meetings or one-on one sessions with a therapist, to try and work on the issues in which led you to use. Obviously this isn't required, but I know for me.......once I was on the Sub for awhile, I began to feel so NORMAL that I actually forgot at times that Im an addict! Which is GREAT.......BUT.........IMO, this also means you hafta really take time to learn about yourself.......find out what makes you tick......KWIM?

And, I agree with Hat, you should make sure you're addressing cravings. IMO, it dosen't really matter how many mg's your taking.....what's IMPORTANT is that your NOT in withdrawl, and that your NOT having cravings. If 12mg takes care of both of these things....that's AWESOME! If you find you're STILL feeling crappy.......I'd suggest talking to your doctor about an increase. You can always taper back down later, once you've stabilized.......AND made some positive changes in your life!

Good Luck!! Hope to see Ya posting!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:23 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

yeah, I only have enough suboxone to last me going 12mg for tomorrow and then only 8 mg for the next two days due to the doc is only available ONCE a week(thursday)... But from what I have been researching i should be able to taper down to 8mg just to make it until thursday in the late afternoon...
its kinda shitty, but I have zero cravings nor withdrawal's so I am going to ask to be on 12 mg at least for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:46 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

wow! i was able to get through most of the day just on 4 mg's and i feel normal(its been 5 days on sub) way better than i ever did on down...

If anything I feel like I did before opiates? I think this could also be that I have stopped smoking marijuana as well(been over 3 months)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If you're doing better on the lower dosage, then that's probably all you'll need. 4 mg is right around the ceiling, so your receptors might or might not be fully saturated and staying that way. I say that because if they are not saturated, cravings can creep through. Just be on the look out for that. If that happens, you might end up on a dose like 5 mg - the lowest possible that still controls your cravings. I'm so glad you feel better. Thanks for keeping us posted.

Post subject: Congrats!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:41 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Congratulations man, thats awesome u got off dope. From what you posted your habit(a g a day) doesnt seem too gnarly so you should be fine after a couple days of getting used to sub. Your life should get much better, suboxen is a beautiful thing my man, its like a fuckin security blanket. Its like you take it, and you know that your good for that day(one day at time right? lol). As well as also knowing that no matter how much dope u snort you will not, i repeat will not get that feeling you were used to.(trust me i used to bang dope a day after taking a sub and i still wouldnt feel it as well as i should of). All in all, god bless man, I wish you the best, I hope works goes well for you, and that you stick with it. Trust me its worth it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:27 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

well, its been 3 months, i was going to lower my dose(doctor was planning on) but i missed an appointment(work schedule changed up on me) and i couldn't get any for a week so i had no choice.. i was fine for 3 days with MILD withdrawals then around the 80 hr mark i couldn't handle it.. had no choice as i had to go to work....

but after that this was about a month ago, so now hopefully we start to taper from 11/2 down to nothing..

only real major sideeffects im feeling now is the lack of energy i was fine for the first 9 weeks but now im starting to get very lethergic even if i sleep 8+ hrs a night i still wake up tired..

im acutally on my way to go see my doc and plan on talking to him about this as now im back in college just started my 2nd year. I barely get out of bed on time(snoozing for 30+minutes) and am almost late every morning class