It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:57 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am in a treatment facility and have been tapering down from 12 mgs/day to 1.5 mgs/day. I have been doing this 2mgs a drop every 8 to 10 days and have been on 1.5 for 9 days. I took my last dose this am. I have been following the taper that my psychiatrist has given me and am wondering if I should be tapeting further down to .5 or less. I have been working a solid program for 70 days and I am mentally ready with excellent support. I am badically living in a hospital. I cant take benzos but have clonodine patches and trazadone. I am also wondering what other vitamins, immodium, etc I would need ir vould be useful. I just found this forum and would love any info or feedback. Thanks a ton!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:50 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I'm a wholehearted believer in tapering down to the smallest amount that you can with the time that you have. If you're ready to come off now, it wouldn't hurt to try to go through the withdrawal process, and if you just can't do it, you can go back on Subs and taper lower. 1.5mg is definitely doable! With the help of clonodine and trazadone and other natural supplements, you will DEFINITELY be able to handle it! It's just a question of if you want less WD symptoms. Everyone is different. You could not even get much in the sense of WD's. You could taper incredibly low and still feel like crap. It really depends on who you are.

As far as natural supplements, I ALWAYS suggest B-12 or a B Complex. B speeds up your metabolism and it will help you with energy. Also, Melatonin is great for sleep. Clonodine will be your best friend, so I've heard. Clonodine lowers your blood pressure, therefore significantly lowering your anxiety, which is why we get RLS. RLS is the #1 reason we can't sleep during WD's! That and anxiety. Trazadone, taken in small amounts, will also help with sleep and anxiety. Don't take too much. I've heard that taking too much can actually have an opposite effect, causing insomnia. Which is the worst!

You will have a lot of support here. It's also nice to keep a log, so you can remember how you felt a few days ago, a week ago, a month ago and see how much progress you've made. Congrats & good luck to you!

-Carissa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:43 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

wow you guys can use computers in treatment? I wish I went where you are. Anyway, I did it both ways: the first time I got off, I did it at home and tapered to essentially nothing. I kept lowering it until I literally didnt need it and had NO withdrawals. I had to get down to like .05 or something crazy like that though, which took awhile. The second time I came off, like you, I was in treatment. I was in a hospital detox. I tapered from 8mg to 2 mg in 3 days and then jumped. Because I was in such a supportive environment, the withdrawal was not that bad at all. I had fellow patients helping me stay motivated, I had nurses giving me the meds I needed, and groups to keep me busy. I was on trazadone, clonodine, klonopin, visteril, tylanol and a multivitamin. I sept well with the clonodine, trazadone and visteril combination. good luck!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:05 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the info guys, I am in the extended inpatient program, so that is why I can use my phone/internet. It is nice but distracting in that all I read about is the micro taper and I am in a position here where I can go take .5 or less if I need it....I really just want to be over with it but I keep rationalizing and making excuses which I know is just in my head. You guys really encouraged me,so Thanks. Ill keep ya posted...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:00 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I'm assuming they wont give you anything controlled 2...Have you ask about a tiny dose of seroquel to take at night? People say it makes you out of it all day but I wd rather be out of it than alert and miserable. What about tramadol since it binds to same receptors but isnt considered an opiate. Why won't they give you klonopin? It shouldnt hv a reaction unless iv. Ive been on it simultaneously w/ subx for years. Im starting a very slow taper and have pretty much any type of med i should need but am still scared of feeling crazy. Anybody suggest a combo of meds to help. Ive tried fast taper and felt like i was going nuts with my legs and i was also exibiting signs of tourettes yelling explitives. There has to be a way to come of this pain free.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

They wont give me any benzos, not sure what you mean by controlled 2. Worth checking though. I ended up taking a .67 piece today at Noon. I feel slight achy and some RLS, but it is much better than what I was starting to experience this AM. I am going to speak with my docs tomorrow and advocate a continued taper. I had been told to jump off of 2 on Friday and take 2 if I needed it in a day or 2 due to discomfort. Well, I am going to take another .5 tomorrow am and then talk to them. (I am actually able to dictate my dose lowering at the nurses station). I will continue to post what happens, but am still curious to know which final jump number would be painless (as much as possible). I cant find any charts that are viewable, but it seems that getting down to .25 or so would be ideal, maybe lower. Hopefully treatment centers can get this figured out better. I am in a great spot to advocate.....Thanks!..BillyMac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:54 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Billymac,

I know from experience that tapering is definitely the way to go. I came off of 1mg a day back in May. The hindering PAWS withdraws, which is the non physical but the depression, anxiety, moodiness, and sleeplessness, those lasted forever. My husband and I were so tired and moody and depressed that we found ourselves right back on subs a month later. NOT saying that's what's going to happen to you by any means. But it sounds to me that if you taper much lower to where you're comfortable that you will be able to actually stick to it.

I'm only 27 hours into withdraw, but I can already tell it's going to be much different. This time I tapered down below .25, not exactly sure how much. Before, it took about 3 days for the WD's to hit me. This time it hit me about 12 hours later. Not near as bad as when it hit me before, but that goes to show that there was much less in my system. Sub has a very long half life. Being at 1-1.5mg stays in your system for 2-3 days. It also hits you harder because it's more of the drug. Hope I'm making sense, it's 2:45am lol

I'd definitely talk to your doctor about a taper plan. You only need to be on each dose for 5 days I've read

Good luck to ya. JourneyBabe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:57 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks Journey and everyone out there;),
I am talking to my doc about going lower than 1mg. I have done a ton of web research and have read so many stories here. The info about the dosing for pain patients that are adults shows a range from .3mg to a max of .8. This reinforces the strength of 1mg and has me thinking around .25 makes a whole lot of sense. Reading a medical report stating that "the optimal method of tapering to discontinuation has not been reported", stuck out as well. Sooo, with all that has been stated, I am going to taper down to .25 over the next 8 days or whatever we figure out. I am going to take 1mg for another day or 2 and drop to .5 once a day. I am wondering if I should split it, as I have been taking only 1 dose a day this whole time in the AM. I feel pretty normal going from 1.5 to 1 and will keep posting. I will also post what the docs say. Feedback always encouraged. Thank you guys soooo much!
Billy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:26 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello,
I have gone down to .7 with just a little rls. I am going to take the same tomorrow and then go to .5 on Sunday. I am going to do that for 4 days then drop to .25 and stay for a couple days and get off it. I am rethinking using the word jump. It sounds so drastic. Anyway, kudos to anyone else making this decision! I wish you all the best. More to come....Billy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:33 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello,
I am keeping updates and have been down to.5 for the last 3 days. I plan to stay here for a couple more days. The transition down has been relatively painless. I have slept a solid 7 hours every night and maybe a bit of RLS the last couple nights but nothing too noticeable. I think I am going to get off completely at .25 over the weekend. I think I have hyped it up enough and need to just be done whether at .5 or slightly lower. I will post here again soon. Happy Holidays and best of luck to anyone out there!!....Billy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:26 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello,
I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas! I took my last .33 sliver a few minutes ago and I am feelingg excited to put this shit to bed. It has been a 2 year struggle with Suboxone and a 15 year struggle with drugs and alcohol. I am in the best head space I have ever been in and the confidence I have going into any kind of withdrawal is something that has taken some time in rehab to revive. I cant imagine that any w/d from this amount could be THAT bad. I will let you guys know how it goes. Enjoy your Holidays! Peace, strength, and love too you all..........Billy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:41 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi Billy, your posts really helped me! I am curious how you are doing and feeling now? I am taking .5 mgs for the next two days and then am "putting this to bed" as you said. I am ready as well and just hope I stay strong through the first month. Reading that you stopped previously at 2mg is a huge inspiration to me. I have been told that stopping at even 1mg is a significant amount and was advised to go even lower. The things is I want to stop now and not in a few weeks as its the winter here and would be a good "slow" time of year to stop without missing out on a lot of work in the trades. yesterday I was at 1mg for over a week and now and am at .5 a day for 3 days and done. My best wishes and prayers go out to you and people like us going through hell on earth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:15 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

That is awesome! I am feeling really good. Its only been about 36 hours since my last .5 of Suboxone. I dont want to jump the gun yet though as it hasnt been very long. I did take about 15mgs of Loperamide throughout the day. I also have a Clonodine .01 patch on. I have my appetite and energy. I will check back in tomorrow and give an update. We can do this and its not going to kill us and it will definately get better again if it ever gets worse. I wish you the best of luck with it and let me know how you are doing. Sounds like you are doing great!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:10 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am hitting 55 hours and still feel great. I slept well last night and got up and exercised this morning and have energy and an appetite. Ill let ya know how it goes. Its amazing how much I worked myself up over all this. Good luck everyone!!..Billy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:38 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Wow billy Im inspired by how well you are doing and how positive your head is. What is it 37hrs and your half life is up? Anyways today I stopped taking mine and I will be journaling how it goes for me. Im sure it helps to be in a treatment facility and have all the tools and stuff to keep yourself busy. Its a different game to those out there trying to do this all on there own! support systems in place are good and do your homework before tapering off. I had a hard time sleeping last night with taking .25 that day but still my neck and legs are acting up. I exercised lots today and told all my friends they might not hear from me in a few weeks. I wish my state had legal medical M here because that would be helpful. To each their own everybody is different! Stay positive and good luck man, work that 12 step Im glad that's working for you. Im still prescribed by my doctor and see my psych regularly but they got me out of their group outpatient program at the facility because I wouldn't give up the herb. Its like my caffine or nicotine and its legal like such in most states . I did like and miss all the people I met there!