It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi, I'm new to this so I will try to make my question as short as possible. I am on day 10 of using the suboxone film to treat addiction to hydrocodone. When I sought help, I was up to 20+ 10mg pills a day. I was started on the suboxone 8mg film, two each day. The first 3 days I felt great and thought this is too good to be true. I was having minimal side effects. Day 4 up until yesterday, each day got worse. Saw my dr Thursday and he insisted I stay on the 16mg per day. By Friday I was sleeping constantly and couldn't even leave my house. My husband made me go out for a little while last night thinking it would make me feel better. But I felt horrible, came home went to bed and slept until 11:30am. I woke up feeling the exact feeling I used to feel when I had taken way too many pills the day before. So, now I'm basically scared to take any suboxone at all! I did take 4mg so far today. I'm just wondering how long it will take for the 16mg a day to get out of my system? I almost don't want to take any at all! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

hello,,,, and welcome.........

well, if you do some reading on Dr. J's blog, it says the the "mean" half life of suboxone, depending on a persons wieght, metabolism and all that, is around TWO DAYS
of course it can vary alot person to person, but basically you CAN dose every other day, unless you are a person with a fast metabolism
I remember there were times I couldn't afford my meds, and I really was surprised to feel pretty much FINE for three or four days.....
when your on doses above 8-12 mg, the suboxone "stacks" in your system as well.....

so you know, you COULD wait until you start feeling just a BIT, of withdrawl symptoms coming on, and take 4mg, like you did today...........
the "goal'' with suboxone is to take ENOUGH to curb w/d symptoms and cravings, but not so much that you are
lathargic/tired/sleepy and have side effects

does that make sense????

if not, here you go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if you go to the "link" at the bottom, there are 19 vidoes total with dr. J explaining the "cieling" effect of buprenorphine, and ALL kinds of stuff!!!! VERY informative.
there's also his blog, the link is at the top of the "suboxforum index page"
always been easier for me to watch a video, than to read!!!!!!
good luck, if you have ANY more questions, just ASK :wink:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ls1F6vNhYw&feature=g-user-c[/youtube]

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I got sidetracked, posting the video...........LOL

what I meant to say,,,,,,,
so, if you wait til you feel a LITTLE bit of withdrawl symptoms, you could take 4mg and see how you feel after an hour or so,
and if your still feeling w/d symptoms then take 4mg more.
Once a day dosing is really what people should be doing, that are in addiction remission,,,, UNLESS you are on suboxone for pain, also, or like I already said, you have a high metabolism, (fast)

for some of the above reasons, many people (me, for one) take suboxone TWICE a day usually the same times each day.
so, if you figure out that 4mg doesn't "hold" your cravings and/or w/d symptoms for 24 hours,
you can try 8mg, once a day,
OR you can try 4mg, TWICE a day...........perferably 12 hours apart.
So,
NOW does that make a LITTLE more sense?????????
LOL
sorry about that,
Anyways,
Im glad you made the decision to change the way you were going, it was the best decision I ever made......
of course I didnt get help until i was taking EVERYTHING but hydrocodone,,,,,,, it didnt even keep the "sick" away anymore........
CONGRATS
and I hope this helps you at least a little bit.
Again,
don't hesitate to ask ANY thing else you can't find the answer too.............
there are "sticky" posts at the top of every section with good, informative posts there. definitely worth reading sometime.
and Like I said
http://www.suboxonetalkzone.com/best-of-stz/ this is a link to Dr. J's blog,
you can go to the right of this page, and it has "categories" of blog articles, so anything you want to know more about, you can find there,
OR watch the videos, from my first post, LOL

GOOD LUCK with everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
it isn't uncommon for the dr.'s perscribing suboxone, to not know much of this information.
So, the best attitude to have is to be your own advocate, but without being disrespectful,to your dr.
you could just tell him your still taking 16mg if he "insists" anyways, and stockpile the rest. that's always a good option.................................
okay, Im rambling now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
have a good night!!!! :wink:

That's TRUE STRENGTH

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It sounds to me like you could definitely be on to high of a dose. Bup/ sub is a really potent drug.. I would like to tell you to consult with your doctor but it doesn't sound like they're listening, hopefully you will be heard next time. You shouldn't feel that way on the right amount of sub. I wouldn't stop completely but you may have to experiment until you find the right dose. A lot of doctors I know will tell you in the beginning to take 4mgs.. and wait and see how you feel.. then adjust your dose up as needed by taking another half if needed. This is to avoid putting that person on too much sub if it isn't necessary. Once you find the dose that works for you by chipping up, you take that amount once a day (or sometimes split in two depending on what works for you.)

Post subject: Thank you
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:55 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks so much for the replies. I will hopefully get this figured out soon and feel much better. It helps so much to know that others are going through the same thing as me. I wish you all success. The extra information helps a great deal. I will keep posted on how I am feeling. I just want my life back and to feel clear headed and normal, if there is such a thing!

Post subject: I Second that
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:46 pm 

Hi jenrat79,

Everything that has been said is right on. I'm just posting to say hi and to tell you I went through almost the same thing as you. My Dr.'s thought was "better to give more then less", wrong, wrong, wrong! No matter what I said he dismissed it and told me to follow his dosing instructions to the letter. I said "okay", but at home I took one third of what he prescribed. Just like what has been said before, Suboxone is a very powerful drug and no two patients tolerate it the same. Maybe close, but we are all different. So just nod your head yes and at home do what your body tells you.

Lucky for most addicts, doctors are now beginning to understand more about Buprenorphine and are starting patients out low and working up the dose, just like it should be.

I know you'll feel better very soon now that you know what to do. Yea!

Rule

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:42 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi jenrat and Welcome! I don't have anything else to advise on, but I did want you to know that I was on the exact same drug of choice as you were and taking the exact same dose. I was up to around 20+ 10mg pills a day before I started the subs. I too was prescribed 2, 8mg strips. I felt the same way you do now for about a week. I had to play with my dosage and find what worked best for me.

I've been on 4 months, but after about a month and a half I found that 4mgs a day is what I need to keep the cravings away and not feel sleepy, tired, nauseous...

Another thing you might want to think about too is just taking what works best for you and not really telling your dr. that you're cutting yourself down, as long as it's working best for you. I have my extra sub in my mom and dads safe so that when the time comes, and my dr. wants me to taper or stop, I'll have enough so that I can do that very slowly and over a long period of time. If your dr is insisting that you stay at 16mg a day and you don't feel that's the best dose for you, you can take what does work for you and save the rest for your taper.

Yes, I think you might be on too high a dose. Well, actually I'm gonna go ahead and say you are on too high a dose if you're feeling this way and you're that tired feeling you don't even want to get up outta bed. I've felt that feeling and it didn't subside until after I lowered my dose. I wouldn't stop taking it all together, I'd just lower my dose.

Welcome again, anything else you need answers to, feel free to ask! Good Luck!

Post subject: Feeling better
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you so much for the advice. I have only taken 4mg yesterday and 4 mg today and I am already feeling much better. I've read that it can take about 3 days to tell if a dosage change is going to help, so hopefully I will start to feel even better soon. I think I just have to give it some time for the 16mg a day I was taking for about 9 days to get out of my system. I was feeling very discouraged and almost wanting to just quit taking it. I had taken 2mg this am and was starting to feel cravings by 5:00, but after reading the advice, I took another 2mg and am feeling much better now. This really helps, and I wish you all success!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

:)
Thats GREAT that your feeling much better :D :D :D

And, yes, your definitely right that it could take a few days to notice a dosage change ,,,, or to at least know if
you are at the right "place" with it or not!!!!!!
Keep up the GOOD WORK
and remember to work on your recovery, too
I think all of us forget that from time to time, but ya know WHATEVER works for you,
whether it's meetings, counseling, group therapy, church,,,,,
doesnt matter!!!!!!!!!!!
if it HELPS YOU, than your doing it RIGHT 8)

Wish you the very best of luck, with EVERYTHING
And, don't hesitate to post, even if you just feel the need to 'vent'
i've done it!!!! and you actually feel BETTER, afterwards, :lol:

That's TRUE STRENGTH