It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Too much Suboxone?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:28 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My son started on Suboxone 16mgs. for addiction to hydrocodine. I have had to keep it in a safe because he takes more than prescribed. I found out he was taking Adderall with it. I called the Dr. supplying the Adderall and told them not to give it to him. If he gets the bottle he has taken up to 5 8mgs. of Suboxone. It scares me. Now he took almost all of his Suboxone and will not be able to get a refill, and I am afraid he will go into withdraw. Suboxone is VERY expensive and I am living on Social Security, and paying for his drug. I can't afford a Treatment center. Why does he want more? Is it just the addict in him?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That is totally the addict in him. There's no reason to take that much Suboxone. It doesn't even do much of anything after about 8mgs. At 16mgs it just lasts longer, it doesn't really feel much different. At 40mgs it could make you sick - like feeling like you're in withdrawals sick, so there's really no reason to take it.

It's weird, because for most people Suboxone stops the compulsion to keep taking more and more, especially because there's really no benefit to taking more.

I wish I knew what to tell ya. If your son is out of meds then he will go into withdrawals. How soon will depend on how much he's been taking every day, but usually they kick in 3-5 days after the last dose. If he's been taking a lot of Sub, the withdrawals will be similar to coming off of 30mg of methadone (or 60mgs of morphine). Not pleasant, but not life-threatening either.

He needs to tell his doctor what's going on. Honesty is crucial to getting well, and he needs to learn to manage his medication. I know you don't want to see him get sick, but I don't really see a way around it - unless his doc agrees to prescribe more Subs.

I'm sorry for what you're going through. I can't imagine how hard it must be to see your child go through addiction. Please take care of yourself and remember that your son has to want this, you can't do it for him.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Addictive nature. On hydrocodone, more = more high. On Suboxone, more=NOTHING. As the other person stated, he is simply wasting the medication and your money. The worst part is that most doctors will not prescribe more just because he is being an addict. The withdrawals will not be fun, and he did it all for nothing. In my opinion, let him face the consequences and maybe next time he will do things correctly.
It is very important that your son be involved in behavior modification of some sort, like a treatment program or counseling.Taking Suboxone alone will do nothing but prolong his addiction.The behavior needs to be addressed and corrected.Finding the reason he abuses drugs is just as important as finding new coping skills.
Please keep us updated!!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:00 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

He has quit the Suboxone and it has been 5 days. He seems to be fine. I don't know if he is taking anything else, but doen't seem to be sick as of today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:18 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's totally psychological if he's taking more than than prescribed, the reason I know this is that if taking more Suboxone (than prescribed) made me feel any different there is absolutely no way I'd be able to not abuse it. I hope that your son can find something that will help him stay clean but if Suboxone wasn't working he likely doesn't have any real desire to stop using.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thought he was doing good, but WRONG. Found out he hocked his computer, xbox, and some other things. Is on hydocodone again. He started a new job and is feeling pressure to work tonight........I am sure he is out looking for anything to get releif. He thought he could quit the Suboxone cold turkey being on over 16mgs. Now lost Dr. and in trouble.

Post subject: NOW IN REHAB
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:06 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I TOOK MY SON TO ER AND THEY GAVE HIM MORPHEN AND SOME OTHER DRUG.......HE WAS SCREAMING ...PAIN PAIN..WENT AND GOT ADDERALL FROM A DR. TAKING TOO MUCH PLUS I FOUND OUT BUYING LORATABS TAKING 20+ IN A DAY AND HALF.....FINALLY GOT HIM INTO A DETOX PLACE....HE TOOK BOTTLE OF ADDERALL WITH HIM.....DETOX FROM SUBOXONE HELL FOR HIM AND ME. HOPE HE CAN MAKE IT.......I'M SCARED

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:22 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Please keep us posted on your story! When I first read that your son was fine after 5 days of no sub,I had a feeling he was taking something. Then I read your next post and there it was! Just what I had expected. I'm so sorry for what you and your son are going through,but at least you got him in a safe place now. I myself have never been in a detox,but I have been in a 6 and a half week rehab program. My prayers are with you,but as was said before, your son has to want this himself for it to work!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:24 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I don't know if this is the correct way to post a new topic, can't seem to figure out how to do that. Anyway, my doc put me on Subox about 2 weeks ago taking 8mg three times and day. The first two days I felt high out of my mind, but then it subsided and I was left feeling woderful, (but not in a high, euphoric way). I had tons of motivation, which has always been the drawing point for me to script pain pills, and energy and loved performing my tasks at work. I had this never before felt feeling of well-being. I was so excited to be feeling motivation and energy, interest in daily activites, etc. and not have to go buy it off the corner or doctor shop for it. THEN....the second week I noticed that these good feelings and motivation were diminishing. and the diminished some more until here I am almost into week 3 and I feel EXACTLY as I did the day before I took subox for the first time. Its as if I'm not taking anything at all. Since I have a crap doctor who never has time for me, I had read online somewhere that less is more with subox, so I decided to take it upon myself to lower my dose from 3 a day to 2 a day (18mg) and see if I could get back those feelings. This experiment is only in its 2nd day so I don't know if its working yet. Does anyone have any advice about how to re-atain them. I feel like I must be taking a suger pill every day...it is doing absolutly nothing for me. Is the only answer to de-tox myself off it and them go back on at a much lower does? Please, if anyone has any answers or advice it would be very appreciated. I'm still holding on to a drop of hope that it may still be my wonder pill for a better life, I just need to figure out how much, when, etc. Please help!!
Brooke

Post subject: suboxone
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I started suboxone over a year ago. I abused them at first. Then finally gave them to my mom to hold so I cantake it right. And now I never felt better and more normal. I take two 8 milg a day. And it works fine. I am gonna stard decreasing my dosage soon. But it WORKS. With in a couple dys you'll feel like u use too before becoming an addict. And its a great feeling. Stay strong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:22 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

May I ask ,how old is your son, and how much of his drug of choice he usually takes. 40mg of suboxone is just a waste of your money , as it has no more effect after about 8- 16 mgs.

Post subject: sub
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

If u just follow your doctors ordrers and take them right everything will be fine. I know its hard to think that but in a short while you'll feel normal again. U just really want to stop. That's the most important thing. U have to want it.