It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:26 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

BEEN ON VIC.'S FOR 20 YRS. APPROX. 7 PER DAY (REG. NOT ES). DO I HAVE TO WAIT A FULL 24 HOURS. WHAT IF W/D'S COME MUCH SOONER?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:03 pm 
lp - Welcome to the forum and congratulations on making the decision to start Suboxone!
As for your question - yes you need to tough it out for at least 24 hours. My Subox doc recommended 48 hours, but absolutely would not start me on Sub unless it had been at least 24hours from my last dose of regular (not extended release) opiate medication. I had taken 4 or 5 10mg hydrocodone (Lortab/Vicoden) on a Wednesday morning around 9:00 and saw my doctor at about 1pm the next day, Thursday. So a little more than 24 hours had passed.
I did great! He gave me 4 mg initially, came back into the room an hour later and asked how I was feeling and based upon my answer, gave me another 4mg. When he came back an hour after that, I felt fantastic and went home with Rx in hand.
That was one of the best days I had had in a very long time! And things have continued to get better and better. That was 2 months ago.
The thing is - if you don't wait the 24 hours, you could go into precipitated withdrawals, making any withdrawal symptoms you were having seem like a walk in the park comparatively. I'm sure you have read about that possibility and how it works, etc. I was not about to take that chance!
Sure you may be into some mild to moderate withdrawals by the time that 24 hours arrives, but you literally have to be in order for the Suboxone to work its magic! Try not to worry about it too much. After all, it's just a short period of time compared to the twenty years you've already spent in your addiction. For me at the 24 hour mark, all I had was the runny nose, sweating, goosebump, shakes, and intense cravings going on. Nothing too unbearable. Then I was able to start my Suboxone and feel better within one hour. Amazing!
Hopefully you are or will begin soon, doing some other recovery work as Suboxone is just one part of getting well again. For me it has been the catalyst that has really enabled me to begin working on other areas of my life that have needed attention for a while. Opiates are like little thieves that rob us a pill at a time of so many of the things that are precious to us. I hope for you, that like me, Suboxone will help you begin the process of freedom from those little devils!!
Let us know how you do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for asking this question, since I also went today for my consultation and he told me he wanted me in withdrawal when I started..shakes, bowel issues, runny nose, you name it.. I'm set to go for Thursday at 1..and I was going to take my last percs tonight.. but now I'm nervous because dr basically said--dont come in here with the percoset on your receptor or you will be one hurtin puppy. I want to make sure I'm in enough withdrawal for the subox to work..just didnt know if 40 hours will be enough or not. I know what your feeling though..I'm sure the anxiety is there to take a pill just to get you thru today, but you will pay tomorrow--or so I've heard-
Can anybody share about their experiences with how much w/d to be in prior to induction?

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You should be in mild to moderate withdrawals when you do your induction. My doctor told me to look for the first 3 symptoms that tell me withdrawal is starting - they are ususally different for everyone. For me it was goosebumps, runny nose and chills. You do not need to be in full blown withdrawals when you start sub. If you're coming off short-acting opiates (not methadone) then 24 hours should be plenty of time.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:04 pm 
BigBear - As I discussed in my post above - a little over 24 hours was plenty. I had no ill effects whatsoever with my Suboxone induction. I was in mild withdrawals - had not yet gotten to the point of gastrointestinal issues or severe leg cramps/RLS (these come at about the 48 hr mark for me). As Diary stated - withdrawal symptoms vary some from person to person. So you'll know what constitutes the early stages of withdrawal for you. Unless you've been taking Oxycontin or MS Contin or some other form of extended or sustained release opiate - you shouldn't need 40 hours off. The 24 suggested by myself and Diary should be enough. I wouldn't chance any less than that! Not worth the hell I've heard about precipitated withdrawals.

Post subject: LP - FYI
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:16 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

LP:

I got on Suboxone a month ago, from a 160-240 mg of oxycontin habit. I was snorting it, and figured doing 2 to 3 a day, except on the days i got my paycheck (when i would do 3-4), would cause it to build up in my system. Especialy since the OC, from what little info i had, stayd in system longer than regular tabs/vics. I still dunno if that is true, but it d oesnt matter.

I messed up and did about a 30 mg line on thursday at about 1 PM. My appointment was friday at 7am.

I was scared I was going to go into Precipitated Wdraw.

But I did not.

So, you can definately get on it less than 24 hrs out from vicodin.

However, I would not recommend trying to test the limits because from what I have heard from Methadone users who have switched to Suboxone, hey are not fun.

Good luck, you'll do fine, and you'llfeel great.

Congrats son your decision.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:26 am 
New Poster
New Poster

How is everyone on this thread feeling this Morning ??? How many are you taking ??? I did just the one 8 mg. this morning and think I get it. Yesterday I went after more evey couple hours, but figure I did that looking for the High. I forgot, I am suppose to try and just feel Normal, not high. Good Luck.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:16 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I went to the Dr. on Thursday, got my script. Came home, got it filled and then just kept taking my Percs. and by Friday at 11AM, I was out of Percs. I actually looked at myself in the mirror and told myself, "These are last 6 Percocets I will ever take!". I then just went to work and waited for the fun to start. I was told to wait until I had withdrawls also, but the reason the Dr gave me a script instead of my first pill in the office was that I could take my first Suboxone "When I was ready"???. Well, I was very nervous, especially since NOTHING was going the way it is supposed to be at this point.

Anyway, I took my last 6 percs at 11AM and then just waited, I felt fine for the first 6 or 7 hours and then all of the sudden, BAM!, it hit me like a brick wall!. By 5:30 I was starting to get a runny nose and my eyes would weep for no reason. By 7PM, I was starting to get slight bowel issues and by 8PM I had constant goose bumps and the chills. My wife suggested having a beer to take the edge off. Well, I know it says you are not supposed to drink when on Sub, but after reading up, I was certain I would be fine, as it seems that whatever reaction you had while on opiates and drinking would be the same with Sub?. Anyhow, the beer did help a little, so I drank a 2nd one.

At 11PM, my skin was crawling and I was just a huge ball of tension. I suppose that the major part of my issue was withdrawal, but I know I was also nervous about this entire event. Anyway, I couldn't take it anymore, so 12 hours after my last 6 percs, I took an 8mg Sub and cut it into 4 pieces and put a 1/4 under my tongue. Within 5 minutes, I started to feel better, A LOT BETTER!!!. I only tried a 1/4 because I wasn't certain if I was into my withdrawals far enough and if I went into precipitated withdrawals, I hoped the agony wouldn't be as bad.

Well, by now, you know by reading that I was OK and nothing bad happened. It should be said that while I only waited 12 hours, I was taking a LOT of percocet a day, almost 35 on average, so when I only had less than a 1/3 of my normal dose in me, my body went nuts!, so if you are someone who only takes 7 Vicoden a day, it is going to take a lot longer for you to get to my point. Withdrawals came very quickly for me, but I am sure it because of the amount of Oxycodone I was taking.

Also remember that everyone is different, so please don't read this and think you will be OK after only waiting 12 hours. Unfortunately, if you have been in the pill popping business for a day or two (That's why you came to this site?), you have gone through withdrawals once or twice and you know your body and the way it feels and acts when you cut it off from it's happy little opioid supply. Follow your instincts and don't let "Thoughts" of going through withdrawal dictate when you take your first Sub. pill. Let withdrawal and the signs from your body tell you when. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:37 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I agree that everyone is different, and you really do not want to take the risk of precipitated withdrawal, but the time suggestions are generally IMO greatly padded. They want to be safe.

I used at 10pm, and started suboxone at 9am the next day and was fine.

Hope everyone is feeling well! If you are at home, in withdrawals reading this, I will tell you way too much personal experience, taking suboxone will help you. I am not suggesting maintenance, but if you are kicking right now, it will help you get stable and decide what roads to take in life.