It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Tomorrow.. Help?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So, I've been on Suboxone for 2 years and 3 months. I was on 16mg for a while, then started my taperand iI'm down to 6mg. I'm ready to be done now and I went to my doctor today. I got Valium and Ambien. Plus, multi vitamins and potassium. My doctor set me up with a valium taper to last two weeks. Is there anything else I can do? Anything to make it better? I'm so scared. I've never made it through withdrawls but I also never tried it coming off suboxone. My last attempt was before I was put on suboxone.

Post subject: Re: Tomorrow.. Help?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello Megan and welcome to the forum!

Good job tapering down to the 6mg dose. You mentioned being on Ambien and Valium and tapering the Valium down in 2 weeks. But you didn't say anything about tapering the Suboxone any lower. Is that your intention, to taper the Suboxone lower, or to jump at that 6mg dose? If it's the latter, and you are thinking of jumping at 6mg of sub I would highly recommend you at least consider tapering that lower.

The 6mg of sub is a very large amount to jump from. There have been a few that have done it successfully, but they had symptoms that were very difficult to deal with too. It seems that those who taper as low as possible get away with the least amount of symptoms. In my opinion if you aren't already I would definitely get my dose lower before jumping.

Many get as low as .25mg actually. Some go even lower than that. But those that do get their dose in that range experience symptoms that are entirely tolerable. I think if you read around the forum you will see that most do indeed taper lower. If you are planning to do that I think it will make a huge difference in how you feel.

Let us know your intentions with the sub and again welcome. I wish you the very best!

Karen xoxo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:23 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Going from 6mg. I've been feeling like shit every time I lower I just don't want to drag it out another 6 months. I'm sick of it. I have a cousin who was on 24mg for a couple years and 2 months ago she quit. No valium, no nothing. She said it was a rough week but after that she was fine and now feels normal. My doctor said 6mg would be alright. Another doctor told me that waiting is just delaying the inevitable. I don't know. Worth a try. I have suboxone so if it all goes to hell I'll just go back on the absolute minimum necessary.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That's ok Megan, I wasn't judging you with my comments. If you feel you can make it work that's all the matters. I will support you no matter what you decide to do! :D

Keep us updated with your progress please. It really helps to keep posting if you have questions, get your thoughts out, or just rant if you feel the need to do that.

We'll be here if you need us!

Karen xoxo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you! It really means a lot. I don't have many people to talk to. A lot of people I know tapered and failed. Every time I've been in withdrawals before and always given up. I don't want that to happen. Never ever again.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:23 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey Megan,
Your point is definitely valid. Tapering is the best way to go if you are bad at dealing with withdrawal like me, but it does drag out the sickness over a long period of time. Either way you get sick, whether it's very minor over months or more acute over a week or two without tapering. I tapered for over a month, felt a bit uncomfortable for awhile but never sick. After my last relapse I didn't taper at all; I jumped at 2mg and felt sick for about 12 days but got through it. The Valium and ambien will help a lot I'm sure, but be careful! If I had been dope sick with Valium I may have taken a lot just to knock myself out. Dangerous. Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:23 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Good luck!! Vitamin B12 will help give you a boost of energy. Don't drink alcohol, it makes the RLS worse(sucks but it's true). The Valium & Ambien will help SO MUCH at night, and no sleep is the worst symptom. Mainly because it makes you so tired the next day, but also because RLS is so unbearable. Hot baths, exercise, getting out of the house, tanning, that will all help. Good luck and let us know how it goes! I'm 2.5 days in, only ever took about .5-.25mg a day and the last day was literally crumbs. I'm interested to see how different our process is. YOU CAN DO IT!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:24 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Oh but I got off 3.5mos ago as well, so that's how I know what helps.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:18 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks everyone! I actually did a bit of research and bought some potassium pills and a broad spectrum multi vitamin to get all those good things in me. I heard potassium helps with RLS so I'm hoping it helps. For me, the most unbearable part is the RLS and inability to sleep. Especially in the middle of the night, when nobody you know is awake. You're left alone and miserable ready to do anything for a little relief. I've never done it with "drugs" to help so we'll see. I have two weeks worth of ambien and two weeks worth of valium. They're 5mg valium and my doctor planned out a taper like thing that goes like this..
Day 1 & 2: 2 pills a day, 3 times a day. Morning, afternoon, and night.
Day 3 & 4: 1 pill in the morning, two in the afternoon, two at night.
Day 5 & 6: 1 pill in the morning, one pill in the afternoon, one pill at night.
Day 7, 8 & 9: 1 pill in the morning and one pill at night.
Day 11, 12, 13 & 14: 1 pill in the morning.
Then, that's it. I messed around with Xanax years ago but it was very occasional, barely ever. I'm hoping that not having a problem with them and only doing them for two weeks will make it easy to stop them. I don't want to go through something after this because of them. But, two weeks should be alright, right?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:06 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Megan how're you doing?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Megan,

Have you started this quitting plan already? I too was given a few weeks of a benzo and something called Gabapentin (or name brand Neurontin) to ease withdrawal symptoms. I only jumped from about 1.5, so I don't know how it will be different for you, but I am sure these meds will help with some of the relief. My only suggestion is to not start the higher doses of the meds on day 1. Sub withdrawal doesn't truly begin until day 3 (on average) and trust that you don't want to blow thru the bulk of your comfort meds before the withdrawals really hit. Save them for when you really start needing them. You'll need 2-3 valiums in the first couple of days but try to save the heavier dosing for days 3 and on.. I still have a whole log of every comfort med I took and what time I took it. I wish I could upload it but its in my "notes" section on my phone and I don't know how to do that.

Lastly, I didn't have an issue getting off the benzos (started out with klonopin and then my doc switched me to Valium,) but I used them exactly how my doc told me too (similar to your doc's suggestion) and stopped after the script ran out. I used them for 3 weeks and tapered down like you did. I also haven't had issues with benzos in the past and the only time I used them was when I needed zanny bars to come down from coke. Totally legit. (I kid, I kid :) )

Ok, good luck! We're here if you need anything!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey guys! Well, I haven't had any suboxone since Thursday afternoon. Right now, I'm feeling alright. Obviously I can tell a little but nothing major at all. I have not done my prescribed valium yet because I don't need all of it and I figured I'd wait till it got worse to use them. I know suboxone has a pretty long half life and that's why I haven't felt withdrawals like I would usually. Right now, I'm just preparing myself. I've been taking my vitamins, eating very regularly because I know I won't be soon, and all that other good stuff.
Tinydancer, I'd love to know what other things you did to help. I'm surrently on a wide spectrum multi vitamin and potassium too. That's it though.
Thanks again, to everyone!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:44 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Congrats on over 2 days! That's great!!! And good job on not taking it all yet! You'll need it in the next few days(maybe). Try to log your daily feelings and symptoms. I've found it helps to realize how much better youre doing day to day when it doesn't feel that way inside. You definitely have a great place here! This is my 5th night and I have to say I don't have many complains besides sleep :P which IS the worst! Luckily my husband will be here and can help.
Good luck & keep us updated! Are you taking magnesium at night? It really does help with the RLS.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:08 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well, it's day 5. I didn't really sleep last night but I'm alive. Nights are, and have always been the hardest for me. I feel so alone. Nobody else understands because they haven't been there. It's not a "normal" alone. I can't explain it but I'm sure you guys know. I've noticed that coming off suboxone is totally different from coming off anything else. The withdrawals take longer to start and they seem to be dragging out. This shit sucks. All these people telling me I can do it and it'll be alright. Honestly, I don't want to hear it. I want somebody there in the middle of the night when I've given up on sleep and I don't know what else to do. This might have just been me venting but any insight is appreciated. Thanks for reading.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Megan,

When I would wake up in the middle of the night, I'd put my ipod in and play my favorite (mellow) music. It can raise your serotonin and gets you out of your thoughts a bit. It's relazing and much better than laying in the silence or watching TV. I know it's hard :(

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:26 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I agree with TD. I even leave the TV while I'm sleeping. WD can make you feel depressed. It's definitely a hard feeling and experience but it WILL end. That's the amazing part. Watch some funny TV or movies. Like she said, music that you love the beat of will help too. I know it sucks hearing that from people. Like you F'ing know how I feel. Hang in there(:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

How are you doing, Megan?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:04 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Sleep deprived. So much I'm hallucinating. Ambien doesn't help withdrawals for anybody out there. Valium takes the edge off during the day. It's been 10 days and I don't think it's peaked yet. Went to NA, made me feel worse. Unbelievable. The nights are killing me. If I could just get to where it feels a little better, just sp I know.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Megan,

You are almost there. If you can, you can always try to get clonadine (not Klonapin) from your doctor to help with your blood pressure and WD's. It will help ease the withdraws a little.

Since it has been 10days, you are really at the halfway point. Just try to keep pushing through.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm sorry Megan.

Are you taking hot baths throughout the night? That's what helped me me with RLS and getting my whole body relaxed enough to fall asleep for a little while. I would wake up a few hours later and do it again. Granted, I didn't jump from 6mgs.. but it can't hurt to try.

When you're this tired and unable to sleep, it's almost better to stay away from sleep meds. They can backfire and make you feel even shittier.

Hang in there, hope it gets better for you.