It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:27 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I understand that Dr Reach runs one of the best clinics in the tri-cities area. I hear they really care about their patients and really try to get you off the stuff. Does anybody know anything about him?

Last edited by Vc on Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:50 pm 
There are obviously different schools of thought when it comes to the use of buprenorphine products. In 2001, there were only a few (less than 5) Suboxone doctors in Minneapolis and of course at the time their patient cap was 30. All of the doctors in my area at the time were into using Suboxone for short periods of time, constantly wanting to begin tapering and not at all into the idea of long-term and certainly not indefinite buprenorphine maintenance. This was probably the biggest reason that I felt compelled to switch from Suboxone to Methadone at the time. With methadone at the time, the clinics were not trying to "get people off the stuff," because the MMT philosophy has been around for a much longer time and they are well aware that to "get people off the stuff" before they're ready certainly, and possibly to EVER "get people off the stuff..." Well, those people who have "gotten off the stuff" have much closer to 100% than 0% chance of dying of the fatal disease of active opioid addiction. So, for me personally, when I decided a couple years ago to get out of my active addiction for once and for all, the first question I asked BMT Dr's when I called them was if they were open to long-term to indefinite buprenorphine maintenance. If the answer was anything other than a quick "yes," I moved on. I guess with the level my addiction has progressed to, I don't feel as though I have a lot of wiggle room to "get off the stuff" and pray to god I don't die the next time I use, because I did die briefly the last time I used. For me, it's really not too difficult to see a Dr once a month or dissolve a couple pills under my tongue daily. I have no negative side effects from buprenorphine and it does not impact my life negatively in any way, it has only been an extreme positive in my life for two years straight. Long story short, I guess, I'm a huge fan and advocate of buprenorphine!

-Travis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:00 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I agree Travis, the Dr.'s that want someone to come off of buprenorphine in a set time frame, in my opinion, don't really understand addiction. There are physiological brain changes that occur with addiction. Depending on the severity of one's addiction, these brain changes/adaptations can take years, or sometimes never, to return to a pre-addiction state. I found a really good Dr. who understands this. He also runs the methadone I work at, in addition to his sub. clinic.