It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:47 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

One of my best friends is an addict. Long story short, he's addicted to Oxycontin, due to recreation, not a prescription or for pain. This spring, he approached me, admitted his addiction (which I was already pretty sure of), and said he wanted to quit. He's starting his detox at my place today.

This is where I need your help. I occasionally use drugs, but I've never dealt with addiction this closely. Today I'm quitting my light use as well to show support and help keep him away from it as best I can. However, I'm out of my element. I'm reading as much as I can, but I'd really appreciate some advice from you guys. He's come here with Suboxone and Klonopin as part of what he's calling his "detox kit." I'm not sure how he intends to use them, but from what I've seen across the internet, it seems to be a common way to try to kick the habit.

Okay, so now that the background is out of the way, here are some questions that I have.

I'm not really sure what my role should be. I'm here to do anything and everything I can, but I'm worried he'll reject a lot of my help because he doesn't want to place his burden on me; although I would gladly bear it. Do you have any advice on how a caregiver/friend should operate in this kind of situation?

I also don't really know how to help. Should I be trying to keep his mind elsewhere with activities? Should I stay out of his way? Talk to him? I'd imagine being idle would be hellish. He's expressed interest on going on some hikes, and I'm a backpacker and climber, so it's something I'm passionate about and could spend time teaching him and easily occupying time with.

Should I consider whether he has memories of doing these activities while on Oxycontin? Should I avoid them or try to recondition them sober?

What things am I not thinking of that I need to consider? I'm sure there are tons.

As if I hadn't asked you guys for enough, here is a brief list of activities I've compiled that I'd like your opinions on.

Hiking
Photography
Building and configuring computers to serve various functions
Watching some video class lectures I own (The Teaching Company's Great Courses)
Listening to or watching interesting/informative/fun podcasts
Video Games

Thanks a lot, guys. Take care.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:19 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

GEEEZ! Where to start? Sounds like ur in way over ur head dude! GL. Not saying it can't be done. But your at the starting line of a God Damm marathon that never ends. And ur buddy is bringing his own detox kit. Sounds like a recipe for failure. Just being honest sry. And i wouldn't even know where to begin to give you advice. I guess i would start by getting your friend into a 30 day inpatient program just to get the ball rolling. And if he doesn't want it bad enough he has no shot. You def dont have the time or knowledge to get him through this. Final answer start with a 30 day program just to get him through his detox and get the ball rolling. Sry..not the answer u probably wanted to hear..but probably the best place to start imo.GL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 4:48 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey Halffull,

I almost didn't reply to this one because I feel like it could get sticky if we don't tread carefully. The fact that he has brought suboxone to use as a detox aid without the benefit of a doctors guidance or a prescription is definitely not a good idea. I'm not going to comment on helping with administering this VERY potent drug without a prescription. I would definitely suggest looking at some info about precipitated withdrawals and avoid that at all costs.

I hate to leave you hanging though without any support as it sounds like you are very concerned for your friend. As for what you should do...I'd say just take his lead. Some people find it helpful to get some physical activity in when detoxing. My experience was that I wouldn't have been able to. Hydrocodone withdrawal is VERY painful and I don't think he will be up for very taxing exercise for a little while. I do think that keeping his mind off the pills will be good though. Try to support your friend by listening to their fears and comforting them when necessary. Emotions will be high at this time as well, don't be surprised if you see some tears from time to time. It is likely that as they become sober alot of feelings they have been masking will come to the surface and they will have to deal with them for the first time without a buffer. Most of all just be there for whatever they need from you. I would try to talk them into seeing a doctor to help them. Suboxone is not a magic pill. It is designed to be used as a tool to help people get sober. Ideally he should be under the care of a physician and also getting support from a therapist and/or a group like AA/NA. Most of all don't feel bad if your friend does not stay sober the first time. This disease is notorious for relapsing. If he is not prepared properly he may not stay sober on his first attempt, try to tell him he has a much better chance of staying sober if he goes to a doctor and is being monitored. Lots of things can go wrong if the meds are not administered properly. I would suggest you read through the side effects board as well so that you can recognize some of the more common side effects. I am not a doctor, and again I do not recommend taking this without a prescription. I am only suggesting that you and your friend educate themselves as much as possible before making any decisions.

Good Luck!

I hope your friend does well.