It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:16 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

OK, A few hours I had 28 teeth extracted and right now the Novocain and office meds are sort of working but I know tomorrow or possibly later tonight I will be in severe pain! I hope it don't get un-tolerable but he only gave me 15 percocet 5/325 (My Sub Dr. said it was fine to take the meds as I been on Suboxone for 9 years) and I'm worried that it might not work. Do you think that if it does get bad I could call my Dr. and ask for help? After all it's not like I had a wisdom tooth pulled or something I just had 28 teeth removed!! I'm pretty nervous right now. I am absolutely DONE with street drugs and have absolutely NO desire to get high; I'm only interested in adequate pain relief for a few days. Any suggestions? Thank you. :?:
If your wondering why I had them removed it was because of gum disease. I have/had Hep C and the medicine to treat it made my mouth super dry..like Sonoran desert dry and my teeth and gums suffered as a result. I am teribly embarrassed about it but I couldn't even eat a good meal any more so I had to do it. I am getting new choppers though when my gums heal so it won't be so bad.

Thank you for your time. C.C. (Jay)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey CC - I would most definitely call your doctor for help if you need it. I hate to tell you (although you probably already know), but I highly doubt the meds they gave you will help you and if they do, last for more than a day - you'd have to take that many to get past the suboxone. The other concern is if the percs even keep you out of withdrawals! I have my doubts on that one, too. (Sorry!) What you can do, though, is to take a small amount of suboxone on top of the percs. Yes, you CAN do this.

Go to the "LINKS" section of the forum and at or near the top is a sticky of a thread with an article for "treating acute pain in sub/methadone patients". Read that article and print it out. You might even want to share it with your doctor. There are a few different methods of getting adequate pain relief for patients on suboxone. It's a great article, and from the NIH.

I hope when all is said and done that you got some good pain relief, because you deserve it as much as anyone and I hope you are satisfied with your new smile. :)

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:00 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Thank you hatmaker but that pdf is all but greek to me. and with the amount of Tylenol in the pecocets, I would never take more than 4 in an evening. I'll wait to see what happens but I may end up calling my Dr. if necessary. thank you. so far so good.

Oh yeah the direstionson the bottle say take 1/2 to 1 every 6 hours for pain. yeah right!!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

OK, all I meant was you'd need alot to get past the suboxone, I wasn't literally saying, "take X amount of pills", I hope you know that.

I'm sorry the paper doesn't help you. It still might be something you can share with your doctor. And like I said, it's still a legitimate option to take the percs WITH a small amount (1-2 mg) of suboxone. This might especially be needed if the percs do not keep you out of withdrawal. What is your normal dose?

I'm just trying to help you out of this and get you some good pain relief.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: Not a happy liver
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:42 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Not much Hatmaker can advise much more than already. If there is Hep C I'm a bit concerned with the acetaminophen - the liver will be pretty bloody unhappy. Have to talk to doc to get around this. Talk about a brick and a hard place. Try to get that info to the doc. Most don't understand a hell of a lot, if anything, about Sub and it's role with acute pain management. If it is from the National Institute of Health they may well read it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

The fact that the OP's sub doctor would not arrange for some some type of schedule II opioid to be used, at the very least for 2-3 days after this type of surgery is just nazi cruel & inhumane IMO. A small script for percs, what a joke. I wrote in another thread here about my hernia surgery a couple of years ago on on 4mg sub & as bad as my pain was i'm sure having 28 teeth removed is far worse. I tried to call my sub doctor about two weeks before my surgery several times & never heard back from him. You have to pay $$$$$ to speak to him. These horror stories make me so angry! The medical community says we addicts have a disease yet most of the time we're treated like the scum of society & denied being treated with respect & dignity. My rant for the evening.