It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Today is first dose
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

After finally coming to terms with my opiate dependency, I sought out a physician who specializes in patients like myself.
Background: chronic pelvic and lower back pain. Had been taking Norco 7.5/325 for over five years, between 10-15 pills a day on average. I could function perfectly fine taking them; in fact, I believe I was more productive while taking them.
I have not shared this dependency with anyone; not my husband, my mother, a best friend, etc. I have fought this all on my own. Until now. I recently went through 90 pills in 10 days. I know for sure I was flagged at every pharmacy and have had to leave my GP, who I have been seeing for over 15 years.
You'd never know I was abusing pills. I'm a mother of two young children. I had an upper management job, which I had to leave because my pain was so severe.
Today I went to this physician who treats those like me. After a short discussion regarding my history and current withdrawal symptoms, she prescribed Suboxone film, 8mg-2mg.
I took my very first film at 3 pm. It is now 10:30 pm and the "high" is still going strong, but I have developed quite the headache. Also, I find myself drifting to sleep, only to wake up feeling like I've been holding my breath.
Are these feelings common? Does anyone have advice for me? I want to win the battle against the pill, but how do I manage my life with this film.
Thank you for your help. This is the only place I feel I can discuss my battle.

Post subject: Re: Today is first dose
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:56 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Welcome SecretBattle!
I am glad you have found us and I'm sure your story will resonate with many ppl.
I can relate to your back and pelvis issues and thankfully my dose of 8-12mg works really well for my chronic pain.
My history was mainly IVing heroin over a period of 10 yrs. My starting dose was just 2-3 mg. I wanted to highlight this, as 8mg may be too high for you. If you dose above your needs you can feel a bit spaced and sleep excessively. If you start on a lower dose, there is always room to increase. I think it's harder to find the smallest effective dose inducting on the higher end because we are generally not ready or willing to reduce in the beginning. That's just my thoughts.
It may also be that you just need some time to adjust to this new medication. It is not uncommon for ppl to report headaches and they often resolve with some time too.
Whatever you decide works best for you, always do it in consultation with your DR.
Wishing you the best and hope you keep posting!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:41 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you so much for the warm welcome.
This morning I cut the film in half, making the dose 4mg instead of 8. It is still quite heavy. The feeling that I get from Suboxone is much stronger than any dose of opiate I have ever taken. I used to take four 10mg Norco at once and this is stronger than that, in my opinion.
I still have a headache and am nauseous with the lower dose. I'm contemplating not taking it again. Not sure if that's the best idea. I wanted to quit opiates cold turkey but my withdrawal symptoms were awful. Maybe I can do this on my own. I just want to be successful in quitting. I don't want to have the urge to have pills on me all the time.
Do you think it's a wise choice to skip tonight's dose and see how I feel tomorrow? I have plans tomorrow and I know I won't be able to function normally on this medication. If anything, I'll have to cut it in quarters. I never imagined I would feel this awful.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:07 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

You made a wise choice. Your body will tell you what kind of dose you can handle, and you should definitely discuss this with your doc, hopefully, you are with a doc who actually discusses treatment with their patient (some docs just prescribe what they think is best, and too often people end up a way too much- IMO/BTW). There's a saying, "you're only as sick as your secrets", and it sounds like you don't have a face to face outlet for discussion, so keep coming back to this forum to talk (2 shameless AA references in one post). Yes, this medication is strong, and if you read more on this forum, you'll see a theme that "less is more". The goal is to get on a dose that holds your cravings at bay (and wd's) for at least 24 hours- which can be done on 2, 4, or 8 mg- again that is from personal experience. From reading this forum and others, it seems to me that a lot of people initially start off at 16-24 mg a day, and again that's a decision for the doc and patient. I think the dose also should depend on drug choice, amounts taken daily, and history. I would suggest cutting the strip into quarters, and take 2mg at a time, and see how you feel.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:14 pm 

Hey secretbattle,

In the beginning suboxone can cause headaches and make u pretty drowsy. It does go away in time. It took me a good two weeks for those symptoms to taper off. U will adjust regardless but it is also possible that ur dose is a bit too high. Try splitting each dose ur taking now in half. If u take 4 then try 2, see if that helps. Suboxone is pretty strong. I got on sub after an oxycodone addiction and was taking around 150mg a day. I started out on 16mg a day and it worked out good for me. So everyone's dose is probably going to be different because everyone's tolerance is different. But also, the side effects ur having is pretty normal and a lot of ppl have them at first. I got headaches and I remember if I sit down for a min, I would fall asleep. I was always good if I was moving around but if I stopped I'd be out. That did go away though.

It's totally up to u if u want to continue this treatment. If u haven't tried other options yet, maybe try and if it doesn't work suboxone will always be here if u change ur mind. Suboxone has saved my life and I was willing to put up with any side effects that came my way. I'd tried everything under the sun to stop using and sub was the only thing that worked for me. If u do decide to stay on it, just remember that the side effects do go away. I think u just may be on a little bit too high of a dose. Maybe just adjusting it a little would make all the difference in the world. I hope u get it straightened out. Any questions just ask :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:30 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for the great advice! I have the same feeling--the if I'm moving around in fine but when I sit down, I feel like I could just doze off. I still have a headache that has turned into a migraine. I get migraines occasionally but this one is a doozy. I took two migraine pills last night--non-narcotic pills. They took the edge off the pain. I'm afraid to take another dose of Suboxone. I can't have this headache continue. I don't know how anyone can deal with this. You folks are amazing. And so strong! I'm so glad I came to this site. You are the only people I can talk to.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:28 pm 

You are welcome here! It isn't uncommon to struggle a bit in the beginning with side effects or finding the right dose. A very few people are actually allergic to the naloxone in suboxone, but quite a few people complain about headaches when they first start taking sub. It really varies depending on the person. I have one friend who has a reaction to just about every medication she starts on! Some people are more sensitive than others.

I would urge you to try to see this through until you are more stable on the medication. I think that starting out at 2mg is a good idea, but you should also be having this conversation with your doctor. You are correct that this is a very powerful medication. I hope this helps!

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:29 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been able to cut the film down to what I would assume to be 2mg. I tried that tonight and it seems to be okay so far. We'll see if the headache returns tomorrow. I cannot believe the power of that medicine in this tiny orange film.