It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:34 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello everyone! My name is Sandi and I'm so grateful to find this forum. I've been reading here and there and it's almost refreshing to see I'm not alone.
My father was an alcoholic, his father the same. I had a very dysfunctional childhood that left a lot of wounds. I got pregnant and married at 16. We stayed married for 18 years and had 2 more children. While the marriage wasn't the greatest, I thank God for it because I believe it saved me from a life of drugs and alcohol early on. I did my share of drugging and drinking between 12-16 and I believe it would have continued if it weren't for my baby and marriage. We divorced in 2007.
I always knew my childhood demons would rear its ugly head at some point. 2009 I took a Norco for a toothache and I'll always remember that beautiful high with that one pill. I had taken it before with no effect. This time was different and off I went. I met my now husband around the same time. He's such a wonderful husband. Anyway, before I knew it 6 years had gone and I was taking 25-40 per day. There were times when I tried myself to quit, of course we know how that goes. I confessed to my husband in 2015 of what I was doing. I sat my kids down told them. It was decided I would go into treatment. July 1, 2015 I sign myself into the hospital. I stayed clean for about 3 months and back into the storm I went. I knew I didn't want to continue. I found an addiction doctor that prescribes suboxone. My husband nor my kids knew I was back to the pills. So, I take the first dose of suboxone in the presence of the doctor. I was in full blown withdrawals. Within 20 minutes I felt like the old me, I felt great, not high, but normal. I got the rest of my prescription filled and my doctor made me promise to tell my family. A few days later I told my husband. He's very supportive. I want to add that my doctor told me I was destined to relapse and that the hospital should have discharged me on suboxone. They gave me nothing, just 5 days of detox. Anyway, I'm on day 9 and I'm still feeling positive and good. I still haven't told my kids, but that day will come. I feel like there's hope for me. At this point I don't care how long I need to take suboxone.
It's great to have this forum. I pray for the best for all of us.
Sandi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:47 am 

Hey Sandi, Happy Birthday!

Welcome. So great to read ur story, thanks for sharing it.

I don't think u have to rush to tell ur children, tell them when u feel comfortable. I've had discussions with my children about my treatment and they definitely know I'm on suboxone. They're younger though, but I never hid anything from them and honestly I couldn't have because my addiction was out for the world to see. I was so out of control going to jail and just being in active addiction, I wasn't fooling anyone, not even them. That's sad but very real and true.

I went to inpatient treatment, stayed good for about 5-6 months before relapsing. After that relapse I finally found suboxone treatment. That's what saved my life and my family.

If I could offer any advice, it would be to not rush urself to get off suboxone. It's recommended that ppl stay on it for at least a yr. Some ppl longer like myself and some ppl for possibly life, like me lol (possibly). You'll know when it's time. And continue ur addiction counseling, it helped me tremendously :)

Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:38 am 

Welcome Sandi,

It sure sounds like you found the right place to fit in. We here relate to your story in some way because the majority of us are true blue addicts. No reason for me to deny my illness now that there is a treatment plan to keep me level.

Isn't it great to get your life back and not feel like the world is only black and white? Suboxone keeps us heading in the right direction and life will go on again w/o all the addict drama. Plus, your liver thanks you for stopping that poison from almost killing it.

Have yourself a very happy Birthday and don't sweat the small stuff. Your doctor is correct about being honest. We have found that if you stay honest with yourself and others, nothing can bite you in the arse later on.

I hope you stay on with us and continue to contribute to the forum. We need all the positive members we can get.

rule

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:42 pm 

Hi Sandi!

It's wonderful to have you here! I hope you stick around for a long time. Some parts of your story are quite similar to mine. I didn't become addicted until my 30s either, after my mother died.

I have some genetic history too, but I never knew my alcoholic grandfather because he died before I was born of cirrhosis of the liver. My mom never touched alcohol because of her father, but it was fairly obvious that she was addicted to sugar. Did you all know that alcohol and sugar are 99% similar in chemical composition? I haven't really delved into any research about it, but I'm sure it's not a coincidence.

Can I ask you a question? If you had come to this forum and you had seen a bunch of negativity about suboxone without any response from the moderators, would you have felt more or less welcome here? I'm just curious. No wrong answers. :)

Welcome!

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:20 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Amy-Work In Progress wrote:
Hi Sandi!

It's wonderful to have you here! I hope you stick around for a long time. Some parts of your story are quite similar to mine. I didn't become addicted until my 30s either, after my mother died.

I have some genetic history too, but I never knew my alcoholic grandfather because he died before I was born of cirrhosis of the liver. My mom never touched alcohol because of her father, but it was fairly obvious that she was addicted to sugar. Did you all know that alcohol and sugar are 99% similar in chemical composition? I haven't really delved into any research about it, but I'm sure it's not a coincidence.

Can I ask you a question? If you had come to this forum and you had seen a bunch of negativity about suboxone without any response from the moderators, would you have felt more or less welcome here? I'm just curious. No wrong answers. :)

Welcome!

Amy

my mom was a sugar addict too! she started going to OA (overeaters anon) and it helped her SO much. she would binge on sugar and she has hypoglycemia, so it would affect her really badly. she doesn't even eat fruit. for her to eat an apple, it would be like a regular person eating 4 candy bars. plus she was such a witch on sugar!