It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:06 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Gettings sick during your taper? This is what helped me:

1) Diet:

Stay away from greasy foods. Look up the Food Pyramid if you forgot whats on it and stick to it. Only drink water and for a boost in the morning some OJ, and also milk. Google 'Green smoothies' for a boost when you're feelin not-up-to-par. My fav. is 1 cup Vanilla Yogurt (Activia is Yum) and 2 cups baby spinach (look for it by the lettuce). Blend it up. It's simple and gives you Poppeye-Like Energy (for real - makes me do laps around the yard and I haven't ran in many, many years).

2) Vices:

Cut out your alcohol and caffeine and smoking. Do this slowly throughout your taper. You can get triple the drunk for your buck on subs but until your at 0 forget it. For caffeine, use 1/2 a cup of coffee each day until you are down to 1 in the morning and 1 in afternoon, cut those to 75% and then switch to green tea twice a day and slow down to nothing.

3) Music:

If I listen to my favorite album, I get pumped and release happy chemicals. This is a great way to pass time in between doses. Music has said to do nice things to your brain so give yourself a bump during the day with music instead of sub.

4) Go to the library and get a kick-ass book

Here's a great new one to pick up: The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business by Charles Duhigg. Pick a topic that interests you and you now have a way to entertain yourself between doses and get sleepy at night, cuz Lord knows how that can be a bitch at smaller doses. Plus the library is free and you can get movies there too.

5) Exercise

"OMG Get it away before it infects me!!!" -- is what I think about that word. I got my Dance Dance Revolution mat out out of the attic (you step on arrows to the beat of arrows on a PS2 game) and it's got music so that's addictive. Plus when you finish a song you feel all accomplished and can't wait to beat the next song. Talk about a great reward system. I actually started *dancing* during the steps and let me tell you I don't dance. But if you like dancing, that's a great way to exercise. Run around the yard if you got to, or the bicycle is a great tool.

6) Journal

Yep, I open up Microsoft Word and just type whatever I'm thinking. Like I'll talk about my dose for the day and my plans for the next few days' dose and then start talking about whatever happened that day and maybe write to my future self. This is a great way to bring out your sense of humor that you didn't know you had - cuz you can talk about anyone and can't worry about hurting their feelings. If you are pissed because your friends or family members are doing the shit that made you turn to drugs in the first place, steer clear of your old brain pathways that say "Fuck You I'm doing sub all night long!!" and just open up microsoft word and poor your guts out instead.

7) Netflix

If you are itching for your next dose, spend the $7.99 for a month of all the King of the Hill episodes, The Office episodes, or whatever TV show or movie that makes you happy. Make those days go by that you can't stop thinkin about that orange goodness.

*An optional tip that some of you may not touch with a 15-ft pole* #8 - Religion

I started going to a Unitarian Universalist Church for my confused thoughts about the cosmos. It was great but when it came to desperate times I always put my two hands together and prey to that jumble of good energy I call God in whatever form he may be possessing up there. My wishy-washy skeptical attitude actually enjoyed the praying and I cracked open the Bible and just got to read about some good people writing about some good morals and thoughts about life. I'm not saying that God literally possessed/controlled these people to write the Bible, but the good spirit of humankind sure did, and that made me happy.

Well, that's all the time-wasters and health-boosters that I have depended on throughout my journey of 12 mg a day to .5 mg a day that I started in May. Good luck to you all. Oh yeah, and this site is a great time-passer too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:57 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Invisiblemovement! I just read this post and I gotta say...there is quite a few great ideas in here! Not just for tapering either! I think a lot of this could be applied to your daily life! Thank you so much for taking the time to post these. I think that these will come in handy to quite a few people who are tapering, or gearing up to taper!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:13 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Howdy invisible!!! Check your inbox :)
This are awesome suggestions. I agree with all of them. As some people and you already know I'm on day 4 of my withdrawal and I have been finding ways to get try this. The music has been huge for me. Also religion-it's a touchy subject for some-and as you said some people avoid it and disagree with it-and that is TOTALLY ok and fine but for me personally religion-well more a faith in a god- has helped me.
This forum has helped me a bunch too. I mean a lot. Mentally speaking this forum gives me hope. Avoiding negativity helps too but that's soo hard for me. I just can't do it.

I hope all the best.
Thanks again for your informative post invisible.

-RJ

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:46 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Am afraid none of this makes suboxone detox any easier neither does it help PAWS. The suboxone is just too strong and lingers in the receptors for a very long time for any remedy to do anything at all. When any of these suggestions may influence you is when someone is nearing the end of the PAWS stage, this can vary between 7 months to 3 years or even 4, but many do not make it past the 14 month mark as they revert back to suboxone or methadone or an opiate as recent studies have indicated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:02 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hessler wrote:
Am afraid none of this makes suboxone detox any easier neither does it help PAWS. The suboxone is just too strong and lingers in the receptors for a very long time for any remedy to do anything at all. When any of these suggestions may influence you is when someone is nearing the end of the PAWS stage, this can vary between 7 months to 3 years or even 4, but many do not make it past the 14 month mark as they revert back to suboxone or methadone or an opiate as recent studies have indicated.

Dude, with all due respect, your post is nonsense on so many levels that I don't even know where to begin. First of all, you come across as if you're speaking factually. These aren't facts that you're talking about, their your opinions. I'm 28 days clean from over 4.5 years on Sub and I can tell you that music & exercise were pivotal throughout my process of getting clean. Now if you're saying that none of these things are going to help with full blown, hardcore withdrawal, I would be more inclined to agree with you, but full blown W/D can largely be avoided if one tapers slowly & over a long period of time. I proved it by tapering over an 8+ month period and jumping from micrograms. I had my days of going through some W/D symptoms throughout my taper, but I didn't miss a single day of work throughout the entire process, including when I jumped. I had a full week and 1/2 off of worked lined up, preparing for some difficult days of misery, but they never came and I went into the office every single day. In fact, the days after I jumped turned out to be pretty uneventful and I even attended a neighborhood party on day 4. If you would have told me I would be attending a party on day 4 of quitting Sub 2 or 3 years ago, I would have laughed in your face. The toughest time I had throughout the process was going from .5mg per day (i.e. 500 micrograms) to about 5-10 micrograms per day. Looking back though, it was well worth it.

As for PAWS lasting 7 months to 3-4 years, I disagree on that as well. 7 months? Absolutely possible. Up to a year and maybe a tad more? Very possible based on what many on this forum have said. Here's something you left out though... Minimal PAWS if any at all. So far I've had no PAWS or depression. I know I'm still early in my recovery, but I did quit Sub from a higher dose many years ago (prior to starting that 4.5 year run on it) and went through some of the same things you described... Acute W/D, PAWS beginning about 2-3 weeks after the acute W/D, etc... So I am very familiar with what PAWS feels like and when it is supposed to kick in for me. That hasn't happened this time and I honestly don't believe it's going to. That first time I quit Sub I made the mistake of jumping from a higher dose. This time I tapered long & slow to a few micrograms per day, which has made a world of difference in what the days/weeks were like after making the jump.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:44 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Attention:*******

I found out an awesome method to avoid cold chills and goosebumps to an extent. Nothing too dramatic. Every time you feel yourself sweat and your back and shirt and wet change your shirt to a new fresh dry one. Oh this helped me so much last night. You won't be freezing cuz of your sweat. So today when I go to school my plan is to take a couple t-shirts to change into in the bathroom in between classes to feel dry and warm again. Try it...helped me!
once again good luck to all who are going thru this. I'm in day 5!
-RJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:06 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

SubItLongTime wrote:
hessler wrote:

Dude, with all due respect, your post is nonsense on so many levels that I don't even know where to begin. First of all, you come across as if you're speaking factually. These aren't facts that you're talking about, their your opinions. I'm 28 days clean from over 4.5 years on Sub and I can tell you that music & exercise were pivotal throughout my process of getting clean. Now if you're saying that none of these things are going to help with full blown, hardcore withdrawal, I would be more inclined to agree with you, but full blown W/D can largely be avoided if one tapers slowly & over a long period of time. I proved it by tapering over an 8+ month period and jumping from micrograms. I had my days of going through some W/D symptoms throughout my taper, but I didn't miss a single day of work throughout the entire process, including when I jumped. I had a full week and 1/2 off of worked lined up, preparing for some difficult days of misery, but they never came and I went into the office every single day. In fact, the days after I jumped turned out to be pretty uneventful and I even attended a neighborhood party on day 4. If you would have told me I would be attending a party on day 4 of quitting Sub 2 or 3 years ago, I would have laughed in your face. The toughest time I had throughout the process was going from .5mg per day (i.e. 500 micrograms) to about 5-10 micrograms per day. Looking back though, it was well worth it.

As for PAWS lasting 7 months to 3-4 years, I disagree on that as well. 7 months? Absolutely possible. Up to a year and maybe a tad more? Very possible based on what many on this forum have said. Here's something you left out though... Minimal PAWS if any at all. So far I've had no PAWS or depression. I know I'm still early in my recovery, but I did quit Sub from a higher dose many years ago (prior to starting that 4.5 year run on it) and went through some of the same things you described... Acute W/D, PAWS beginning about 2-3 weeks after the acute W/D, etc... So I am very familiar with what PAWS feels like and when it is supposed to kick in for me. That hasn't happened this time and I honestly don't believe it's going to. That first time I quit Sub I made the mistake of jumping from a higher dose. This time I tapered long & slow to a few micrograms per day, which has made a world of difference in what the days/weeks were like after making the jump.

Tapering does not make an inch of a difference. There is no difference in withdrawals between 0.2 and a 8mg suboxone tablet.

I know people really want to believe any theories but you arent being realistic at all, this can only set you up for disaster in the long run. False hope can and is the worse advice one can give.

The withdrawals reach their peak around the 3rd month (if you've been taking sub for over 7 months).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:24 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey Hessler,

Congratulations! I've been at this site for more than 3 years now and I've gotta give you credit. In all that time I have yet to encounter another individual who could come close to cramming so much useless, ignorant crap into so few posts the way you have... there literally doesn't seem to be one thing of worth in anything you've had to said. Bravo!! Well, I guess if you're going to be an a##hole, you may as well be the best one that you can possibly be, huh? Good luck with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

bronzebeta,

Yours is, quite possibly, the best post I have ever seen on this forum!! I particularly like the part about being the best BEEP than he can be. Priceless!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:44 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thank you Romeo... it was actually very cathartic. Thinking back, a few of your posts have made me bust a gut, so I'm glad I could return the favor and bring a smile to your face.

Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hessler wrote:
SubItLongTime wrote:
hessler wrote:

Tapering does not make an inch of a difference. There is no difference in withdrawals between 0.2 and a 8mg suboxone tablet.

I know people really want to believe any theories but you arent being realistic at all, this can only set you up for disaster in the long run. False hope can and is the worse advice one can give.

The withdrawals reach their peak around the 3rd month (if you've been taking sub for over 7 months).

LAWL, now I can officially call you a nitwit. If I had to guess, I would say you are some lackey for a pharmaceutical or one of the many other companies/industries that have a financial interest in people staying away from Sub. Everyone of your posts on this forum have been BS. W/Ds peak around the 3rd month? W/Ds peak around days 4-5 and vary on how long the peak remains.

Tapering doesn't make an inch of difference huh? Then why have the last 29 days been a breeze for me compared to when I jumped from 4mg/day several years ago? Oh wait, I forgot, my W/Ds won't peak for another 2 months, lol.

Let me give you a piece of friendly advice... The $9/hour you're getting paid to scour through Suboxone/Subutex forums and spread lies isn't worth it. You can do better for yourself, trust me.