It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: A tip I'd like to share.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:42 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi everyone,

Considering buprenorphine blocks opioid receptors, many of us have probably had the worry of "What happens if I need pain medication in the future??!" "What if I have to have emergency surgery/get in an accident??"

Well, at least I do, but then again...I worry about most things. ;) Something that has given me peace of mind is that I recently taped a small note to the back of my Drivers License that states I am taking Suboxone, just in case I am unable to communicate this myself to medical professionals in an extreme situation (God forbid). I also have an additional note resting in my wallet with more detail. I think it's a good idea...just thought I'd share. :)

"He will cover you with his feathers, and under His wings you will find refuge" - Psalm 91:4
–Robert Green Ingersoll

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:38 am 

Good tip C,
It is important that ER and other drs know just who we are in an emergency. There is a card however that can be had by going over to the NAABT website.
They have info on Buprenorphine, treatment, and also a alert card as i said...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:40 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Oh, nice! I wasn't aware. Thanks so much Razor!

"He will cover you with his feathers, and under His wings you will find refuge" - Psalm 91:4
–Robert Green Ingersoll

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:44 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey there..

I just saw this.. when I fell off a roof in 2010 and broke my foot in half.. I was on sub at the time.. probably about 4-6mg a day and they had a very hard time (if at all) controlling my pain. They were giving me dilaudid (sp?) and it wouldn't work.. nothing worked... they finally put me under to reset the bones until I could get surgery and I had to take massive amounts of pain killers until the sub got out of my system.. after surgery etc I just went back to sub as it worked well as a pain killer and I didn't abuse it like I do other things..

By the way, this was in 2010 (I was on subutex too I think, not suboxone) and the ER docs had to look it up and had no idea what to do for me, hence knocking me out.. I hope things have changed.. I am sure they have..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:58 pm 

These are all good suggestions to give you peace of mind. One more that is extremely important is to put all your medical information in your contact list on your cell phone. Most all phones should have the first contact setting as ICE. In Case of Emergency. ENT's and all medical staff will search your phone for medical and emergency contact information. Make sure you put in all your meds and who to call in case of an accident and you're unconscious.

Just one more tool for the toolbox.

rule

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:21 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Besides the emergency card on the other site, they also have a flyer to give to the doctor that has basic instructions on how to treat a patient using Suboxone, as well as a number for the doctor to call to get professional advice. I printed two copies; one to keep in my car, and the other for my son (my emergency contact) to keep so that he can give it to the doctor if I can't. I also have a list of all my meds in the envelope.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:17 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I got a card to carry from my Dr's office so you might ask your's for one.
Since all the OD's here in southern Ohio from Heroin lately, all the hospitals have been giving out Narcan/Naloxone to all EMT's and even family members if you ask for it. There is a system here now called Project Dawn. The hospitals are becoming more aware of the treatment of addicts now. Our small town had 4 or 5 deaths from OD's in 1 week about a month ago and I think that opened their eyes to learn more about this and treatment. At least I hope so. I worried about having to go to the ER myself on Suboxone.
Thanks for the post!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:21 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

GREAT tips everyone! Thanks:)

–Robert Green Ingersoll