It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Approaching eight years on sub and think its quitting time. I'm not quit sure on how to go about it though. for 18 months ive been taking between .5 - .75 mg a day (cutting those 8mg tabs into accurate doses of .5mg is a problem for me). will tapering down to a lower dose make much of a difference?

I am puzzled by how this drug works. personal cant see how a drug can do the same thing at .5mg, as it does at 16(at least for me it did). Any thoughts?

I was wondering also if i could taper down to nothing and be withdrawel free? Has anyone had luck with this?

What seems to be the best way to come off this stuff?

thanks Rob

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Far_From_free wrote:
Approaching eight years on sub and think its quitting time. I'm not quit sure on how to go about it though. for 18 months ive been taking between .5 - .75 mg a day (cutting those 8mg tabs into accurate doses of .5mg is a problem for me). will tapering down to a lower dose make much of a difference?

I am puzzled by how this drug works. personal cant see how a drug can do the same thing at .5mg, as it does at 16(at least for me it did). Any thoughts?

I was wondering also if i could taper down to nothing and be withdrawel free? Has anyone had luck with this?

What seems to be the best way to come off this stuff?

thanks Rob

I stopped Sub after taking it for nearly six years. I tapered down to 1/16 a day. It made a huge difference in my jump, which I barely felt. I tried jumping off at other doses, .25 and up, and it was really not that fun, IMO. Getting down to 1/16 seemed to keep me from having to endure the acute stuff.

The main problem I'm still having is what is known as PAWS, which I didn't really buy into until it happened to me. It's like mild w/d drawn out over a long period, and it fades in and out. Some days I barely have a single symptom. Some days, I'm totally ticked off because I have chills and anxiety, cold extremities, sweats, runny nose, insomnia. You know the deal. It's not bad, but it is unexpected and it is sometimes worse than anything I got right after my jump. I mean, it's been 5+ months since I stopped. I think it's getting better. It's probably good that you mentally prepare for some lingering stuff. And start working out. Hike, bike, run, swim, snowboard...whatever you want. It is your golden ticket.

There's a lot of debate over whether it pays off in the long run to taper as low as I did. Many people swear it works and lessens the severity of acute w/d and PAWS. Other people think it's not worth it. I really don't know the answer. I expected smooth sailing after I jumped because I tapered so low. That isn't how it went, but my jump was a cinch, so.....I'm not so sure there is a right way.

FYI, regardless of ongoing symptoms, I still say this is totally doable. I 100% can handle even the worst symptoms standing on my head. I feel like I've already pretty much made it and I know it will be okay. You are fairly low on your dose. You have already gotten the hardest part done too. Good luck and don't be afraid of this last little bit. You really are nearly there.

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:06 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks Laddertripper, Thats just what I needed to hear.
I think i may try the liquid taper method in order to get the dose down that low, i've been reading alot about it and it seems to work. I'm gonna stop on February 26th because I don't have to go back to work till the end of March. Your right about PAWS being the worst part. I remember it quite well from back in the 90's when I kicked methadone. I also recall that it was probibly that which lead to my relapse 6 months later. I have to stay stronger this time, and remember its not over just because i've stopped taking sub. I have to remember, I'm Still an addict. I tend to forget that important fact every time I kick. But that being said, I've never used anything for almost 8 years without stopping before. So it's gonna be different for sure.

I don't know if it's just me, but I feel as if I'm in a much better mind set because of sub. I truely believe I'll be able to beat this addiction and not use drugs again. My life is in such a different place than it was 8 years ago. I have a family, a home and a business now. And I strongly believe those things will help keep me from relapse this time. I don't wanna lose what I have.. Not This Time, and Not Never!

Rob.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:45 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

laddertipper wrote:
There's a lot of debate over whether it pays off in the long run to taper as low as I did. Many people swear it works and lessens the severity of acute w/d and PAWS. Other people think it's not worth it. I really don't know the answer. I expected smooth sailing after I jumped because I tapered so low. That isn't how it went, but my jump was a cinch, so.....I'm not so sure there is a right way.

The benefits for tapering are massive and go way beyond the PAWS stuff. You guys did a really disciplined taper, and proved to yourselves that you can manage on next to zero Suboxone without relapsing, that you're ready to live without Suboxone. I think the real benefits of tapering aren't in avoiding withdrawals and not in PAWS, but in how it prepares a person for staying clean long term. PAWS and withdrawal don't do any damage, but relapse ...

No doubt tapering is useful for PAWS. How much it's useful I'm not sure. I went on naltrexone for a few months after detox from heroin, and it felt like the naltrexone just delayed the onset of my heroin PAWS. So maybe our receptors balance out only after we take everything out of our system?

Most of the brain healing happens in the first 18 months post-detox. It's also the most crazy / challenging / painful period of recovery. So I like to think of PAWS as the feeling of growth and healing, like being in a hospital bed slowly recovering from an injury. So it does get better.

Rob you sound like a bit of a veteran with this stuff. Methadone is a nasty drug to detox off really. I remember getting waves of withdrawals 6 months after I jumped off. I'd just break out into sweats and sniffles outta nowhere. It happened with bupe as well, but nowhere near as long and significant as with the methadone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:18 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

To me, it was 100% worth it to taper. That terrible acute w/d, with the shakiness and horrible anxiety, is not tolerable IMO. I don't care if it only lasts 7-10 days....that is way too long and I never would have put myself through it. So, if I had to do it over again, I'd taper low, just like I did. I avoided ALL that stuff with my low taper. So, even if I still have PAWS, I do think it would have been much worse to not taper. I got no anxiety attacks or painful legs and I slept at least a few hours every night. Most important, I did not get depressed. Mentally, it would be super tough to suffer PAWS after a nasty jump. I know people need to do stuff their own way, but tapering super low was certainly the best for me.

Far_From_Free, best of luck! You seem to be in a very good space to tackle this. It's probably to your advantage to have been on .5-.75 for 18 months. You are very stable on that dose by now. You can do it!!

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

FarFrom: You've been given great advice already. Ladder is an awesome person to address your position and I second everything she told you.

I just wanted to touch on something about long term sub patients, like you both. Lots of people like to opine that it's going to be harder for people who've been on sub for years and years. But on the other hand there's Dr. Junig's theory that by being on sub that long you'll actually be BETTER prepared to live life sober. You had that much longer to prepare for life without intoxicating drugs along with the help of suboxone. I look at it like you used crutches while your broken leg healed instead of going right out again on a broken bone. So now when then time comes to run on that broken leg in a race, guess who's better prepared? The one who let that leg heal properly....it's one way of looking at it for me.

I think you'll do great! Keep us posted.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:07 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I am so scared to quit. I've never said this before... but... it's partially the only reason I'm staying with my boyfriend. It is so wrong and I want to quit. But it makes me so happy every day.

So, what if I quit, and then on day 3 I take a tiny bit, and then wait until it is unmanagable, and then take a tiny bit more, every few days. Has anyone done that? I am so desperate if someone could just say Be a man (woman) and stop it! And give me a good reason that would help. What did you guys do? Can I stop for a few days and do a little bit and then the PAWS won't be do bad? Or do I just plow through the withdrawal? (I am so scared for day 3 because I have to work every other day and go to school 4 days a week - how did you guys do it? Will people be able to tell I'm withdrawing?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks again everybody, really good info here. I do hope Dr. Junigs right, and that I may be better off because of the amount of time (8 years) I was prescribed Sub for. I do feel I'm ready to quit and live sober. With the exception of the Sub, i have been sober for over 5 years.

Although, my first 3 years on sub I didn't really understand the whole sober thing to well.
I wasn't quite convinced I was still and addict and thought Maybe I could still drink once and a while. Then I thought I could drink all the time.. And if I was drinking, why not smoke some pot too. Well, now that I was drinking and smoking pot, I might as well do other drugs on the weekends. As you probibly guessed, that didn't quite work out for me. So I went into a Program for a few months and got my self back on track with just the Sub. And I can honestly say I havent slipped up since.

I like the reference to a pair a crutches, that makes sense.

On a different note, I dropped down to .25mg yesterday and today. I did the liquid taper method and It worked good. I have been yawning, sneezing and slightly uneasy all day long, so it must be working. I'll try to keep my dose this low untill I jump off on Febuary 26th. Maybe even drop it down another little bit. Wish me luck.