It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Three Day Rule -
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:30 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

hello all who take the time to read this and if anyone can possibly help me out, please do. im on subutex and have been going to my dr regularly. however, on saturday when i went to see him, no one was at his office. he called me later that day to say he was in hospital. my last dose was on friday morning. it is now sunday night. i work tomorrow and may or may not be able to go see my dr. there is a hurricane (ISAAC) in gulf of mexico which has shut down our local schools until thursday as well as a voluntary evacuation in effect. my dr might not even be there tomorrow much less on tuesday. so i did my research and found this "3 day rule" which says that ANY physician can ADMINISTER suboxone in emergency situations without being certified to do so. i just returned from the emergency room, where the physicians there said they did not have to adhere to that. im running out of options and feel, quite frankly, the worst ive ever felt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:17 pm 

I so wish I could give you a solution to your problem! That is a terrible position to be in! Can you visit another ER? If you can reach your sub doctor by phone, can't he call the script in for you? If your doctor missed your scheduled appointment, it seems like he should have to help you out somehow! It always makes sense to try to stockpile a few extra pills/films for these kinds of situations.

Again, I'm so sorry you are in between a rock and a hard place! :(

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It can be really daunting when this stuff happens. I had something similar happen over last Christmas. Since then I've respected just how delicate my situation is while on Sub, and just how dependent I am.

There's been a lot of talk about Suboxone being sold on the streets. I'm not sure exactly how rampant this is in the States. And while buying off a dealer isn't really that good for one's recovery, neither is losing one's job. So that may be an option if you still know a couple of people who are "messin around".

I too went to an ER and came across some barriers, namely the fact the ER dispensary didn't stock Suboxone (why would they have a need for it?) and were not willing to give me Subutex.

Otherwise, there are some things that may help. Drinking grapefruit juice (lots) may extend the life of the remaining Suboxone in your system. It probably won't do much at this late stage but anything helps. Otherwise I'd suggest you just fight through it, push through work and see your doctor as soon as he's available.

Another option which I really wouldn't advise would be resorting to an agonist. Something that's continuous release and low dose, just enough to have one a day over 1-2 days that'll stop you going into withdrawal and nothing more. This however is controversial and I'd only consider it if you know you can use it for the purpose of preventing withdrawal and keeping functional enough to work, and NOT to get high. The downside to this is you'll need another wash-out before you re-induce. May not be worth the hassle.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi

that sucks, your in this situation.
If you cannot reach your regular doctor,
Is there any way you can travel?? Or maybe try and find a new doctor, until your other one is back????

Im just trying to give ideas here.
you really are in a bad spot, sorry.

you could keep trying ERs too. I know thats gotta be a miserable task,while in w/ds. do you have any paperwork you could bring with you, like the sheets from your previous perscriptions? Maybe if they could see some kind of 'proof' that you've been on subutex for some length of time, they would be more inclined to do something for you. Id print out the information of the '3 day rule' and take it with me, too.

your best bet, is still probably your original doctor though.

hang in there
and dont get blown off the map!!!! :wink:

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/