It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:55 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

l i v i n wrote:
First, vivitrol does NOT cause sickness with alcohol consumption. That is a different drug called antabuse. Vivitrol simply makes the idea of drinking not as enticing.

Second, there are MANY reasons why we don't feel well or normal for awhile when we get off opiates and endorphins are only one, possibly small reason why. I have been on vivitrol for about 5 months and I have never felt better in my life. I feel great when I exercise, have sex, etc. There is no literature that says anything about vitriol having any negative effect in this area. I am a med student so I have some background on this sort of thing as well. There is just no literature backing up your claims. It seems reasonable for you to have this 'theory' that because naltrexone blocks opiate receptors it must block endorphins and contribute to PAWS and other symptoms, but there is just no evidence to back that up. It is likely that endorphins are blocked to a certain extent, but endorphins are not the primary thing contributing to feeling well and normal again. I have never felt better in my life; I am 100% normal with perfect sleep, low anxiety, great mood, etc. and I am on this drug.

Be careful what you say about something you're not sure about because this drug is saving peoples lives, including mine. I am a chronic relapser and I needed a drug like this to get me away from all opiates, including suboxone, while i work on my program.

There is plenty info showing naltrexone's effect on opiate receptors. There are also plenty of studies which show how natural endorphins ("endogenous morphine" like substances) are released with healthy activities the poster you are responding to mentioned, such as exercise and listening to music, etc. Just because you have did not have an experience does not mean that's the way it is for everyone. I am a 9 year addict, who previously, and unknowingly at the time, channeled those addictive qualities in a positive way. I was "high" on life, although that sounds queer. But what I'm saying is those natural endorphins I definitely had created a noticeable and positive feedback loop, heavy into competition, exercise, weight lifting, music, keeping up with peers in school, etc. I definitely partied too (and I mean partied), but made sure to not let it affect these other things at the time as if it did that would make me feel bad, a "low" from my natural endorphin high. Oh, my degree? Doctor of Pharmacy, with honors, followed up with a (non-required) advanced residency program.

Post school? life happened. I'll save the sob story, as it's irrelevant. 5 years into my addiction I did a 30-day inpatient, recommended to save my license. That is my comparator for the Vivitrol I'm now on. I had no problems that I am having now during that period. I felt my natural endorphins recover. Not happening now. I can feel it in my joints, which have been constantly aching 20 days in now, as again, it blocks natural endorphins. Perhaps you just don't have the same relationship with natural endorphins as other people might? I'm a musician as well. That's pissing me off more than anything, taking away motivation to play, as music has been proven to release natural endorphins and I'm not getting the same elevation. That's why I went on Vivitrol to begin with, to get back to my old self, using good habits and creating positive feedback loops again. As there ARE differences for people on the drug, I was hoping mine would be better. The only reason I'm going to the gym now is I've made a commitment with my brother, if it was how I was previously, only ever going by myself, there's no way I'd be getting myself to go. So sorry 2014 med student, your experience, although maybe 100% correct for you, does not allow you to make generalizations on others. Hopefully you've learned more in your continued studies or if you're residency now.

But, perhaps I'm being a little hard on you in my current frustration. I think you just don't want other's to get discouraged from trying it. To that I'd say - neither do I, everyone certainly has more to gain than to lose form doing so...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:05 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yup, I'm the original poster, and I will *never* go back on Vivitrol again. Ever. It made me feel like shit all day long. Nausea and a general icky feeling. Idk how else to explain it. Supposedly it does work great for some people and causes no side effects. But for me the side effects were VERY noticeable. I had a sore ass for about 20 days after each shot. AND the risk of getting NECROSIS in the injection site always scared the crap out of me. And having to talk to my insurance every single month to make sure they are in fact the ones paying that ungodly $3500 it costs for each shot in your ass every month.

If I can't stay clean without vivitrol then that's the way it goes. I've got 24 days clean off suboxone again, but this time WITHOUT VIVITROL, and I feel just great.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I had a naltrexone implant at one stage, and I would consider going on one again. It served a really useful purpose in that it stopped me from using when nothing else could. It was a 6 month implant, and during those 6 months I was quite well behaved. I recall I used crystal meth a handful of times, but it was nowhere near as destructive as my daily use of heroin.

If I were to go off Suboxone, I'd consider getting another implant. The only reservation I have about naltrexone is that, in my experience, cravings return once you stop taking it. It's really strange but I could almost feel the implant wearing off by the cravings started to edge their way into my consciousness.

The reality is less than 1 in 10, and some studies less than 1 in 20 people stay abstinent once they stop taking suboxone or methadone. So why take a tool out of your arsenal that might help you achieve lasting abstinence?