It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:54 pm 

Tina, I am beyond glad that you have chosen to take a softer and more productive tone with everyone here. We don't turn away helpful people, whether they're on sub or not!

I have to run, so I don't have time to say more right now, but thank you. :)

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well hello there, Tina. :D I was hoping we would get to start over fresh. Welcome to the forum.

I appreciate that you came back and apologized. It takes a lot of guts to do that and I respect you for it. I also want you to understand that I can relate in some ways to parts of your story. I know that suboxone isn't a miracle cure for addiction, but it has saved my life and made it possible for me to have a chance at sobriety. For that I will always be grateful.

I look forward to seeing you be of help to other members of this forum. I think if you stick around you will see that we aren't as one sided about this thing as you might have assumed.

Q

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:01 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Donh, hi my friend, unfortunately my dentist said it's not something that happens often but I had great teeth forever and about 1 year before I stopped taking Subs my teeth started to have many problems due to the medicine. I know it isn't something that all people go through, I guess I'm one of the unlucky ones. I usually am lol. I am happy that people have found a medication that helps them. I have to say that my anger does get the best of me at times, especially when I'm feeling sorry for myself. It has only been 90 since I took my last drug and I feel a little crazy from time to time. I suffer from Fibromyalgia the reason I started drugs to begin with. It had been so many years since I have not had some kind of drug in me so I didn't know how bad it was going to kick my butt.

I am trying the natural route this go around since I have tryed everything else on the market. I also suffer from migraines, luckily I found a great help for that. Botox shots in my forehead, temple, neck, shoulders and upper back every 3 months. I use to have a headache everyday all day, now once or twice a month.

If anyone suffers from migraine or bad tension headaches find a Dr. That does this, it's made me more saine. LOL

THANK YOU EVERYONE for your understanding and big hearts, my hope is to be there for others as well. :D

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:36 pm 

I hear you about those migraines! I have 3 levels of defense. First I take ibuprofen. If that doesn't work I will take generic imitrex. And if that doesn't work I will take a Nucynta ER. The Nucynta is a synthetic opiod med, but I take the extended release version so no euphoria. It is super effective on the pain though. I'm at 2 mg of zubsolv every day, so the Nucynta has some receptors to attach to.

I understand you still not feeling great after 90 days. Once our brains are changed by addiction it takes a long time to feel normal again and some people may never get there. There are people here that take bupenorphine for depression because without it they feel suicidal.

One thing that has helped many others here is exercise. Have you tried getting regular exercise? For many who have detoxed, the exercise not only improves their physical symptoms, but it helps elevate their mood.

I understand that you are angry, but I imagine that you feel some sadness too. It is extremely difficult to do the work of staying off opiates anyway. But if you lack a good support system it's even tougher. Chronic pain on top of that...I can't imagine. One of the things I had to overcome when switching to sub was that overwhelming feeling that I would never look forward to anything again. If I taper off sub someday I might have to go through that process again. Do you have things to look forward to? If you ever need to vent about your day or a relationship problem, etc, please feel free to vent here. There are so many supportive people here who help themselves by helping others.

Tina, you are welcome here.

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:13 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Badabing- if you were in fact, "clean & sober" and also living in the solution, you would not be on this forum arguing with people that are on a medication that helps people get their lives together. I have been to 15+ rehabs and a ton of halfway houses- "there are such unfortunates, they are not at fault". I'm am finally happy, living with my family and being a good son, going to meetings daily and calling my sponsor. I'm sorry that your personal experience with suboxone was negative but that does not give you the right to come on here and bash people that prescribed by a doctor that is legitimate and requires weekly groups. Next time do some actual research before you come online with that bullshit.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:43 am 
New Poster
New Poster

This is in reply to why people are angry about Suboxone use. I believe they think we are sharpening our receptors and becoming perhaps more intelligent than them. Also it takes time to to taper and people are usually on Suboxone for years. I have been on and off Suboxone for eight years now and want to stop taking them completing. I cannot taper, I have disc bulges and herniations and the pain is too much to bare. Suboxone helps with my pain. Also I have had panic attacks when I was very young prior to taking Suboxone but never had anxiety like this. I believe it is time to get off the Suboxone when you start having high anxiety. Kt may be a sign that your receptors are clean but this is something to ask your doctor. By the way, when I was off Suboxone it was due to money issues.

Also, I live in Scranton, PA and I walk a lot and see wrappers (strips) all over the town. I see at least two wrappers on the ground a day. So people must think we are just junkies like they would find syringes on the ground. Now they have made syringes legal to buy here so they are all over the ground, too. I am happy that the syringes can be bought b/c of Hep C and Aids.

I am happy to say that I had a test done two weeks ago and I do not have HIV or Hep C. The doctor said my liver is in perfect condition which was hard for me to believe because of all of the pills I've taken in the last 22 years.

So that is my take on why people are angry. Clean receptors (and they don't understand how the medicine works) and wrappers on the ground. I can't believe so many people know of this treatment but they do. There wasn't a huge TV campaign.

This was my first post on the site. Thanks for having me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:06 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

The debate about whether buprenorphine is a legitimate addiction treatment or comparing it to the AA approach is pointless in the context it is used.

The simple fact is that people can and regularly do die from a single relapse with opiates. In fact, they are more likely to die after a period of abstinence such as straight after rehab or after a stint in AA. Buprenorphine happens to be a safer opiate. It is less likely to kill while blocking the effects of more dangerous opiates. It can also help prevent a person doing permanent damage to their life in other ways, such as getting a criminal record. I think of it more as damage prevention than treatment.

What makes me angry sometimes is people assuming that all addicts are the same or that everyone else is the same as them. I don't know where any of the numbers come from but I can't recall anyone being allowed to collect data at any AA meeting and I have never seen a doctor follow up with a patient beyond their last bill. In other words, the data has no value or accuracy. All we have is the experiences of others and they all differ.

Part of why there are varying points of view, is that buprenorphine doesn't effect everyone in the same way. For example, the effects of it don't feel massively different to any other opiate when I take it. Other people say it stops them "getting high". I'm not sure I could distinguish it's effects from oxycodone.

I've been on it for 5+ years and no longer feel I can live a productive life with it but that's just me. A lot of my anger is directed towards the doctors who prescribe it. Many know very little about it, except what the pharma rep told them. I regret the blind trust I placed in their advice and I think they need to do a better job of letting patients know what they are in for. There are side effects and they get worse over time.

I think everyone needs to be responsible for doing their own research and deciding for themselves. There is no reason why anyone else should have an issue with other people's choices as long as they are made with all the relevant info.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:14 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

@badabing16 -

Your husband's addiction ruined his life, not the Suboxone. For addiction and drug use purposes his life could have became much better after he switched to Suboxone. It's something you take to try and help manage the addiction problem that the vast majority already have when starting to take it.

His selfishness, his not paying the bills but buying Subs, the way he treats everybody, that is because he became an opiate addict, that isn't because of the Suboxone he's now taking to try and manage the addiction a bit better.

That he's managed to get on Subs and stay on them is actually a pretty commendable thing. Even if his behavior is still mimicking some of his previous behavior when he was still getting high, he at least isn't doing that any more and this will help him to move on and learn to deal normally with life again.

What a surprise. Another pure alcoholic who has never had an opiate addiction thinks the two are comparable and they're going to spout off about it without ever having to have felt it.

Yes, you can die from alcohol withdrawal, but it doesn't feel anywhere *near* like what opiate withdrawal feels like. Having gone through both I can say that my alcohol withdrawal was a breeze compared to opiate withdrawal. Sure I needed some meds to stop me from having seizures and kicking my legs all over and stuff in the night when I'd try to sleep after I quit drinking but it felt NOTHING like opiate withdrawal. They're so far apart they're not that comparable.

It's not just the cravings, the sick stomach, the puking, the sweating, the brain zapping, the horrible shooting diarrhea, the quivering, the seizing, the extreme hot and cold flashes, the pain, the cramps, that feeling that every cell in your body is starving for something and you'd do anything to get it to stop, it's more than that even. If you knew how quick it came on and how it actually felt you wouldn't be making snide comments about how opiate addicts can never stand to be sick for "1 second" and making out as if you know how it feels because you kicked alcohol. You don't know how it feels. You don't *REMOTELY* know how it feels and what we have to go through.

Anyway you seem to be lacking any empathy and just think you know what you know.

Your blame is going in the wrong direction and that's probably a good portion of what causes you and your husband's problems. You need to stop enabling him and throw your blame in the correct direction.

Suboxone does too work. Every day I see so many people that it works for all living productive lives, working and going on with life, not getting high anymore, all because they're taking Suboxone. I'm sorry if you feel it doesn't work for your husband, but that's an individual matter not a fault of Suboxone.

I know I'm responding to an old post, but it's therapeutic to me to do so. Mentally it helps strengthen me against these types of things to respond to them, and our Internet posts remain for many years so I guess I felt the need :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:17 pm 

Hey Cat, what are you doing posting to all these really old threads? No harm in it and there is always good information be it old or not.

Seems like you and I are of the same ilk. I'm an old time alkie who was able to stop drinking by going to AA way back when. Many years later the pain pills got me. Now I'm stable on Suboxone and one day I may even stop that. I do reserve the right to stay on it for life though. It even stops the cravings to drink although I haven't had that urge for quite a long time. Got sober in April of '87 but screwed up my sobriety date via opiates. Thank the gods for Suboxone!

Keep posting!

rule

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:00 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Please let this anger go

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6