It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I assume it is. At least I hope it is. And for the most part it has, at least during the day. But at night it's still a problem. This is day 5 after induction.The thing is I'm prone to rls anyway, but of course during my many years of opiate addiction it was never an issue. I'd forgotten how destructive of sleep it can be.

I'd absolutely try to live like this if I had to, but over time it would likely be enough to jeopardize my sobriety.

Edit: I somewhat regret this premature question. I,m gonna answer it myself. Which is that it will most likely go away as my body adjusts. If not, I'll have to find a way to deal with it. People suffer with worse things without complaint.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:09 am 

You are correct. It is a temporary discomfort that will go away in a short time. Be patient. All will be well.

r

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:07 am 

I certainly hope so, and it is too soon to tell. My mom had RLS just because. She had to take a medication to be able to sleep. I hope yours is gone super quick!

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks rule and amy. Well here it's now 3 am and I'm still fooling around on laptop
so that's not the best sign. And in fact I am a bit restless, But as rule predicted
seems to be getting better by the day..I'm taking most of my dose in the evening
to see if I get a bit better coverage at night with the restless heebee jeebies come
a calling. As I said, not as bad tonight.

I still do some freelance writing from time to time and today, 5th day on subs, I found myself
writing like I haven't in a very long time. It just poured out of me, breaking
a writer's block of long time standing. It's been very weird, in a good way
how focused I've been feeling. Perhaps not the subs, could be just the
freedom I suddenly feel. Which then again would be the subs more indirectly.

On one more note just because I feel so gabby, the sub shut off my bowels as if
a faucet has been turned.So there's that to deal with too. I have to laugh at myself
as I started worrying about an intestinal blockage. My wife's sister recently had one so of course
that automatically means I must have one too.
Addicts are ever the catastrophists! More info
than anyone could possibly want,so forgive me in advance,
but I passed a little gas, putting
to rest that little piece of insanity. :D

G

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I usually notice an increase in 'anxiety' when people start buprenorphine. I use quotes because to some, the change sparks a new diagnosis, and to others it is seen (correctly in my opinion) as a temporary increase in stress. Thinking about stress and anxiety, the medications used to treat anxiety-- mainly SSRIs and benzos-- work by reducing attachment to worry. SSRIs reduce obsessive thoughts in general, making it easier to let things go, and benzos directly impair memory and attention.

During our using days, our minds are constantly pulled toward the obsession to use. We have to keep something available every few hours to avoid getting sick. We worry about getting caught, about other consequences, about money... but mostly about having something to use to avoid getting sick. Fear of getting sick becomes the primary issue in our lives, distracting us from everything else, making all other concerns less important.

On buprenorphine, the distraction of that primary worry is suddenly removed. We are suddenly free to worry about other things-- about damaged relationships, about jobs lost, about financial pressure...things that were always there, but that didn't seem as important.

The good news is that over time, we learn to deal with those 'new' concerns. But I suspect that feeling of improved focus is related to that primary distractor slipping away, freeing your mind for other things. Keeping it busy, by writing for example, will help keep it from focusing on the negatives that add up to 'anxiety'.

Keep it up!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks Doc. All very good points. I definitely have noticed an increase in anxiety these last few days. If I'm not worrying about poppy tea related issues.... the worry about how expensive it is, the worry that it will suddenly become unavailable, the worry that the feds will show up at my house....are all suddenly gone. And yet I'm a worrier. All that worry energy has to attach itself somewhere.

Without worry who am I? Which is the existential stuff. If I'm not an active addict then who am I? I keep thinking at the usual key times in the day, that it's time to make tea. I even feel myself reflexively starting to the guest bathroom where I used to do all this stuff, sorting, grinding, weighing, etc etc. But if it's not time to make tea, what time is it exactly? In other words, what am I supposed to be doing? What's my real role in life?

On the plus side is this rising excitement that I'm now a free man once more. That hasn't been the case in many years. I don't consider the need to take bupe every day a lack of freedom. We're all human beings, which is to say we all need to eat and drink and sleep and clean our bodies and go to the bathroom (as to the last one, I wish at the moment anyway). This is just one more thing thrown into the mix and of all the things I listed, it's probably the easiest eat least n the sense of being less
time consuming.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello Godfrey,

Now is the perfect time to pick up that hobby you have always wanted to work on. Or the Hobby you used to do before you became addicted to poppy tea.

It was amazing how much FREE TIME i had when i wasn't worried about taking opiates. I ended up doing yoga & gong to the gym during my spare time. i also kept a journal of my day to day. That really helped later when i could go back and read where i was on the first month or two of suboxone and then read a year later how much better I was doing. Journaling is a really good tool to use. and Theraputic.

My advice would be to buy a calendar or planner and fill it up with things to do. Now with social media and things like the "Meet Up" app. there are so many new things and sober things to try.

I hope the RLS subsides which it WILL in time. It has not been too long and i would def give yourself a good 30 days on the med to feel more like your old self again.