It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Is this out of line?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:44 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Well, I found a doc nearby willing to accept my friend as a patient, but unable to accept more medicaid patients. Their initial evaluation is $450, with 1-2 followups per week @ $225. That's just the office visits. Are these prices typical, or are they gouging?

Do doctors have limits on the number of medicaid patients they can accept, or is this limit self-imposed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:51 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I don't know about the medicaid but this Doc is more of a capitalist than an MD... I would seek other options if available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:14 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I'm in the frantic-phone-call phase just now. I found another one who charges $150 initial, and $88 for followups, and does take medicaid through Fidelis, whatever that means. I thought medicaid was one thing. I should have known better. Ugh. Need to do more research.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Medicaid Cap ????
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:03 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi Xeno,
I think what you are doing for your friend is admirable. I have posted on your other thread....
As far as a Cap goes? I don't know anything about Medicaid BUT, there is a cap on how Many Suboxone patients a Dr. can have at one time. He needs to have a "Special" Suboxone License in order to write the script and I believe it was 35 But has gone up to 100 patients if I have the information right??? Anyways best of luck on your search and keep up the good work.... :)

God Bless
TW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:10 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yeah - I talked to a couple offices today that said 100 was the limit. I'm kind of amazed that the less expensive doc had an opening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yes Suboxone docs can take up to 100 patients after they've had their special license for a year. The first year I think it's a 30 patient limit.

Xeno, you really deserve a pat on the back for all the effort you've put into helping your friend. Admirable and inspiring.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:11 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I think that first doctor was a bit much, I am sure you can find cheaper! MY first and former doctor charged $150 for first visit and $100 for each additional. The additional visits varied but were every couple weeks and such. My 2nd and current doctor charged $250 for first visit and $100 for each additional. His additional visits are ALWAYS once per month (28 days). Good luck!

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." ---Salvador Dali

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:20 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks again, guys.

Hatmaker - I just hope he's really serious. I have doubts sometimes. I'm sure he is when we're talking about it, but I think that resolve weakens when he's back with his "friends." At this point, I'm pretty sure that his desire to avoid withdrawal and my legwork can get him to a doc, but after that there's no real way to change his milieu. I've seen people mention triggers. He'll be surrounded by them. I'm thinking too far ahead, though. That way lies madness I suppose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My first sub doc was 250 for the first visit and 50 for additional visits. But i changed sub docs and now my sub dr is also my normal health care dr. so everything is covered with my insurance so i dont even have a copay.

I got to say you are a good friend ive had many friends ask me for help but once it came down to it and they had the dr number they always backed out. u r a good friend man hope your buddy realizes that good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You are a great friend. The first doc is an OUTRAGE! What a jerk. Who does that to people?!? Sounds a lot like my first doc. I posted elsewhere today but I just found a new doc who charges $150 per month TOTAL for ALL healthcare needs as she is a primary doc as well. So that includes any e-mails, after hours calls, family practice medicine, UA's, etc. They take no insurance, but for suboxone AND family practice care that is a GREAT deal in my opinion. Just keep looking. You will find someone perfect.

But then may I offer a piece of advice or an opinion or maybe just a thought......he may not appreciate the suboxone as much if he isn't doing anything to get himself there. Can you see if he will just make a couple calls for himself? I mean...if you found the numbers and he won't or can't even make a call for himself, then it may just be a waste of time. Also, as wonderful as you are, you may want to consider Al-Anon meetings to help YOU take care of YOU. Please don't take offense to this as that isn't what is intended. I just want to put it out there that you have to take care of yourself also.

Cherie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:33 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks, Jackcrack.

First - he really needs loads of help with the organizational aspects of all this, so that's where I've been primarily concerning myself. However - YES. Having him call the doc's office when we finally get everything arranged would be a fantastic idea to help make him feel more invested in the process. Thanks for that idea.

Second - I have a little experience with this sort of thing. I know just where to go for AlAnon if I need it. I went through a similar process getting my mom into AA a few years ago. Of course, that was like training wheels compared to this. Still, it helped give me a certain skill set. I've been trying to watch myself, and not get all co-dependent or enabling.

It's a fine line, though. It's hard to know where helping ends and enabling begins. For example - I know perfectly well by now, both from observing him and reading on this forum, the mental state that drives drug-seeking behavior during withdrawal. I will occasionally create opportunities for him to earn a little money - although I NEVER just give it to him. He has to do odd jobs for it. I know perfectly well that he'll likely spend some or all of it on drugs. However, we have an agreement that as long as I'm making an effort to help him he'll make a serious effort to stick to pills (no needles) for now until we can get him on Suboxone, and to try and keep withdrawal at bay so he doesn't resort to something truly horrible. He may even stumble with this agreement. That's fine too. I'm being careful to reassure him that he doesn't have to be ashamed. But I have no illusions about this. I'm quite ready to yank it all away if I have to, and I have no intention of continuing this arrangement long-term. I think I'm approaching this reasonably well, but I find I have to be constantly looking for "that line" so I don't cross it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I am glad to hear you are looking out for yourself in this and making sure you aren't neglecting YOU. I do hope everything works out. It is difficult to find a doc for a lot of us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:36 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

We got seriously lucky! Check out my thread in Introductions. Suddenly, he has a doc!! I'm so excited I could soil myself... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:48 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

ROFLMFAO....Xeno, you are hilarious!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Xeno...I went through similar feelings when I found a doc recently. Good thing I got a script for the suboxone and finally had the energy to do the laundry :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:39 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

In 2005, I paid $600 for the initial visit, the follow up visits( at one a week for 8 weeks) were $150 each..then the price of the RX (60/8mg tabs of suboxone) was approx. $700!! Now, I go to the Dr once every 28 days, and pay $85 for the visit $100 for a UDS and $150 for the Rx..my insurance doesn't cover any of it! I have just purchase Dr J's "Stopping Sub" recording and have a plan to be OFF sub by the end of thsi summer. Is it becasue of the cost? partially, well alot of it does have to do with that but also, I am ready to take back my life and save that money for a vacation to a tropical paradise! LOL! :D