It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:14 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey, I posted a couple weeks ago. Basically I'm a little over 4 months off suboxone.

At this point I feel almost normal as long as I'm not stressed or exhausted, which is great. The problem is that I get exhausted so easily though. If I try lifting weights, it's almost automatic that later that day Im going to have bad anxiety (worse if I work out harder) and that feeling of being very restless, almost like a burning inside me or something, even though Im tired.

Has anyone else experienced this? And is there anything I can take/do to try to ease this feeling if I do get in a situation where im overly tired / stressed?

Also, has anyone used medications such as neurontin or klonopin through the PAWS process and still recovered? I've been kind of scared away from taking anything because I've read on a couple websites that any drugs taken during the withdrawal process can set it back or erase any progress made. It sounds silly to me, perhaps they are just trying to scare drug addicts who would want to abuse something. But its kind of stuck in my mind that I shouldnt be taking anything because I fear it will set me back.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

First and for most congrat!
Just my personnel opion if you have came this far without any medications over four months just tough it out. I know easier said than done but klonopin is just way to addictive, especially for someone in your situation. Bc if kpins work to well it might become hard to stop. I would just try to maybe change your diet up eat fresh fruits no junk food continue to work out. And when you get stressed out just use da coping skills you have to deal with it without drugs. I mean if beat opiate addiction and suboxone i know you have good coping skills.

Keep up the great work and i wish u da best of luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:25 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

well I'm not worried about being addicted to klonopin, I know I can control it. I wasnt addicted to opiates prior to suboxone, I was put on suboxone for chronic pain managment, but it got to a point where i realized i was in more pain with it (took a couple years though).

And once i get to that highly anxious place because Im too exhausted, it's really hard to cope. I had been using exercise as my coping mechanism while weaning, but i can't do that anymore because it actually makes me feel worse now, unless im just walking a mile or two each day.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:23 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey man I experienced this same thing. I am 10 months off subs now and I would say months 3-6 were the worst for me. I am a very active person so the lethargy, exhaustion, and just feeling like I was wearing a lead suit dragging a 1000 pound anchor behind me drove me crazy to the point of crazy anxiety. I thought I had a serious health problem, possibly heart because I felt so anemic it felt like my heart was hardly pumping. I went to the doc, got a bunch of blood work done and everything came back perfect. Told me I was as healthy a patient as she had seen. It took my body extremely long to recover after exercise. I am finally starting to feel a lot better. Not perfect but as normal as I have felt in years. I wouldn't take any medication if you can get away with it tho. I used some oxy/opana a few times in early sobriety off subs and that def didn't help matters. Just keep grinding it out cause it will get better. Some days will be better than others, just make sure to take advantage of the good ones!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 6:54 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I agree, stay away from the benzos, you can take passion flower extract, its an herbal anti anxiety. Also valerian root and possibly kava. But paws takes time. I get anxiety sometimes after working out too, glad to hear that it will eventually go away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:14 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey Guys,

I'm 2 years off the SUB. I had the same issues and had the anxiety and a little depression after working out. It was weird because working out made me feel better for a while but then an hour or so later I'd be a mess.

I never found anything that really helped unfortunately. The good news is it will get better. It will get better bit by bit and one day you'll just be normal again. I have lost track of when that all takes place but I strongly encourage you to tough it out. You're best off letting your body and mind recover. In the long run it will be so much better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:00 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

As was mentioned above, you're talking about the dreaded PAWS. The best thing you can keep doing is the exercising, as Bboy mentioned. It gets your natural endorphins going again and that's exactly what you/your brain/body needs. So smile and laugh and hang out with people who make you laugh....and go to funny movies, too. All that will help your endorphins get moving.

Here's a post about both acute withdrawals and PAWS, in case you're interested: http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5941

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey eric, before you work out, are you taking a pre-workout drink?? Those drinks are usually loaded down with caffeine to give us a burst of energy to supplement our workout. I switched to C4, by cellucor and my "jitters" improved greatly. Also, are you consuming enough good food to power you through your workout. If you're not feeding your body properly, then you will crash after your workout.

Also, if you're overtraining, you're gonna get the same effects you speak of.

Are you rotating muscle groups properly? Are you consuming a post workout protein drink? Are you feeding your body properly? Are you getting enough sleep? Are you taking enough days off from your heavy lifting and doing cardio? If you said no to any of those questions, then your body is most likely not healing fully between workouts and you're putting too much stress on your body.

Post subject: Awesome Stuff
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:00 pm 

I just wanted to chime in here and say that those of you who have gone months w/o Suboxone are doing great. We all know it took years of abuse to get to the point of asking for help, so it should naturally take time to recover from it.

This topic gives me a shot of positivity that my future will be a good one, albeit several months of crap first.

Thanks for posting.

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:14 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

good replies everyone, i've read each of them.

I feel like I am eating well and I barely work out at all since I've been off suboxone completely, so im not overtraining. I think it's just a symptom some people have after they stop, the body being overly sensitive to physical stress put on it.

One thing that really bugs me is stomach issues. When I get stressed it seems my stomach gets upset and makes my sleep choppy, and that makes everything worse. Exercise kind of does the same thing but not as bothersome on my stomach.

Romeo, I think I remember you stating you had stomach issues during PAWS? I feel like I've had really terrible stomach problems all throughout my recovery, mostly because I'd wake up at night with my stomach feeling just generally irritated and that would really disturb my sleep. It just sucks that 4 and 1/2 months in I'm still having disturbed sleep because of my stomach. Seems most people I've read about had a relatively easy time with their stomachs during PAWS, even the ones who were on opiates for long periods of time. Im just ready for some real relief. I guess I shouldn't complain though, im doing better than I was a couple months ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:59 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Jesus, these stories I hear about PAWS make me terrified to ever go off methadone and try to live life completely opiate free.

http://www.aboutmethadone.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

OK, you're not overtraining and you're eating pretty decent, that's good. You may just be suffering from the good ole PAWS. *sigh*, unfortunately, there really is no cure for PAWS. Over time, it most certainly gets better, but I have not found a way to short cut PAWS. Exercise usually helps, but as you found out, it can also rebound on ya too.

To answer the question about the stomach issues, let's make sure we're talking about the same "stomach issues." I usually referred to the fact that I didn't crap right as a stomach issue. If that's what's happening to you, then again, it really just took a matter of time before my crap making machine remembered how to do it's dang job.

Once in a while, I would take imodium AD to "slow things down" down below, but you don't wanna become dependent on it either.

Sorry man, about the best advice I have for you is that it will get better, it's just gonna take time.

Now, your stomach issues may be related to a lactose intolerance. Quick way to figure this out is to go get some Lactaid and take it when you eat. Lactaid is NOT a drug, it's an enzyme that helps you digest dairy products.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

yes for sure the big ol PAWS". i can remember when i quit drinking for 14 months and the harder i work the more less tired i get " shit" for normal people, it's the other way around.
well' after about 11 months the effect went back to normal, and that was very nice until i got very bored with that " and then began to drink again. i guess i did not like being relaxed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:11 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

i guess "stomach issues" to me is just having a general sense that its not working 100 percent normally. I dont know if it's my stomach causing the problems or my overall energy level and mood effecting my stomach, perhaps impossible to tell. i think I get overly stressed or exhausted (like when i work out too much) and the restlessness causes my stomach to feel "off". I dont really know though, I'm guessing its PAWS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 2:51 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

hey ifyourpoisongetsyou,

I should mention that I only posted long drawn out stuff like in this thread on my bad days. I have a lot of good days at this point but I havnt gotten on the computer and described them on this message board. Suboxone withdrawal and post withdrawal are definitely difficult, but i think they tend to get exagerated by the fact that people are more likely to seek advice from others during difficult times, and you dont really hear about the good times. Just trying to keep it in perspective.