It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: IS this normal??
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:10 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am new to this website. I went to the Doctor today after waiting a month to get in. (He is the ONLY Doctor in my area that takes insurance). I figured I would be induced but no. He wants me to taper down from 10 hydrocodene 10/650 a day to 3 in 10 days. Then he wants to see me again and he will induced me?? Is this normal? Why didnt he just give it to me. I can wait the 12 hours and then take it. I am very confused and I dont know if I can honestly do the tapering without cheating. I will start to withdraw and I will take more. Does anyone have any answers or expierence? Thanks.
Kris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wow..... If your doctor really did tell you to take more than the daily reccomended amount of aceta/tylenol and believes an addict can taper down a drug like hydrocodone I'd say you really need to find another doctor that's ridiculous if you could control your opiate use you wouldn't be an opiate addict! Lol I'd really try and find another doc if he did indeed say word for word what you said he did. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

What?! What kind of crap is that?

Maybe he's worried about your liver, but I assume he would tell you that.

I wonder how he would know if you tapered or not ;)

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:23 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I swear you guys! It is written on my prescription bottle. 2 pills 5x daily for 2 days. 2 pills 4x daily for 2 days. 2 pills 3x daily for 2 days. and so on until I am taking I pill 3 times a day and on that day (the tenth day) I go back to see him. I cried when I left. I also tried to ask him what the purpose of this was for and he said that he was doing the best for me and if I wanted another Physican I could go get one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Not only that it really doesnt matter if I taper or not. I just want to stop and get on the Suboxone. Wasnt that the point of me seeing him anyway???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:31 pm 
Hmmm. I can see the logic behind your doctors thinking, but what a dumbass if he thinks an opiate addict can taper down on his own! I would say go find a different doctor, but in your situation, it sounds like you don't have a lot of options.

I have a crazy story about my introduction into the suboxone world:

A little over a year ago, before I decided to clean up, I was using 300-400mg of opiates a day. Like all of you know, it was whatever I could get my hands on (oxycodone, hydrocodone, morphine, oxycontin, dilaudid, etc) In the end, maybe the last 2 or 3 months, it was mostly oxycontin, and mostly being snorted. When I went to my very first appointment, I told my sub doc exactly that. He then told me about the long-lasting effects of oxycontin, compared to the immediate-release of oxycodone, and that my sub induction would be much more successful if I finished my opiate use with oxycodone. He asked me what kind of pills I had left, and I told him I just had oxycontin. Soooooooooo, he then wrote me a prescription for (30) 30mg oxycodone IR, told me to stop the oxycontin and to come back friday (4 days), and to take my last pill no later than 6pm thursday!

Yes, my SUBOXONE DOCTOR wrote me a scrip for 30mg oxycodone.

Did this happen to anyone else???

Oh, during those last 4 days, I used all the pills he prescribed plus the rest of my oxycontin. Yikes.

Patrick in PDX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:08 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yes, mine prescribed me 10 mg hydros (as many as he wanted me to taper down to) until the next time I see him, which is in ten days. He also knew I had a full bottle of hydros in my purse...
Ok, so what is the logic? Does this actually ease the transition to Subs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:15 am 
T...R...I...P!!!!! That is crazy! I'm sorry, but I cannot understand the logic behind that. For God's sake - if we could control our drug use/taper, we wouldn't be paying a bizillion dollars to see you and get on Suboxone!! My doc charged $300 for the first visit and $100 for subsequent visits which he requires monthly plus you've got to pay for the meds. So that's kind of an expensive ordeal to made you buy more medicine and pay for an extra office visit to be induced. Plus, psychologically, you were probably ready. You made the appt and went in expecting to get started on your new path and now you have to wait. I hope you don't change your mind because of this foolishness! That would be a shame.
Maybe your doc knows something the rest of us don't know. Maybe he's tried this before and it has worked well. I guess it's possible. It just seems highly unlikely that anyone's gonna do this taper the way he wants. And Matt2, you're right. I can't imagine a doctor prescribing more than the daily limit of acetaminophin. Maybe the new script is actually for the hydro 10/apap 325 formulation. I think at 10 of those per day you'd stay under the daily limit of apap. Whatever - it's still nuts to think an addict is going to reduce their dose, especially knowing the "party" is about to be over anyway since they're starting Sub. I know I took everything I could get my hands on the weekend before I went to the Sub doc!
Oh well Kris - just do what the good doc says (more or less) so you can get started on Sub. I think you'll find it to have been worth the hassle. It can change your life so much for the better. Let us know how it goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:52 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

WOW! I am with setmefree and others here. I hope you are reading the responses. Ultimately you are responsible for your own recovery- but SHEESH... Do you think the Doc is testing you? Like - maybe his thinking is that if you go through the w/d's of heading from 10-->3 pills that fast - you'll stick with the Suboxone path?

Regardless, I can't add any more than has been said, except to WARN YOU that if you go into his office - having tapered down - more or less to 3 per day, and he gives you suboxone (especially in the office right then under supervision) - if you are not 24 hours with nothing (yes in ugly withdrawal symptoms) - you may experience precipitated withdrawal.

Please be careful. You can do it, suboxone is part of the path to recovery. still - how you start is very important. cruise the forum for best practices before starting suboxone. follow them closely (like zero Oxy/Perc for 24 hours for short acting) - then suboxone under the tongue. It will take a little time - hour/two (I can't remember exactly) - then you'll suddenly realize you don't hurt as much, your nose is less runny, and you are able to talk in full sentences with people. It just gets better from there - if your goal is "NORMAL." You won't get a buzz, but you probably haven't had a real 'buzz' from Percocet anyway - if you are like me - that was gone long ago. What will be surprising is that when you do this, NORMAL is so much better than Yo/Yo of short acting opiates and the tolerance to them.

I am 1 week in to my suboxone induction phase. I want to be clean - and have never been through any recovery except my own attempts at 'cold turkey'. Failed. The plan should work - but I hope the doctor you have shows you a plan to recovery - not just a script and best wishes.

Hang in there! I stand amazed at your post, and what the doc wants you to do. Still - if it is your only avenue - I guess it's better than opiates. Tough choices, but you can do it. We are here cheering for you!

Post subject: thanks!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:25 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yes guys I am reading.. I dont know if he wanted to test me... I told him that I went through detox by myself 3 times and started taking the pills two weeks afterwords each time. I know the pain of withdrawl. I really dont know the logic. I really dont know if I can taper. So far I have not been successful. He did indeed prescribed me 10mg hydrocodene/660 acet. unless the pharmacy miss typed it on the bottle. Which is more than my regular dose of act. and it was making me sick so I switched back to my lorcets. He told me he didnt care if I took his pills or mine. I just dont understand why he would give an addict more pills than ask me to taper, knowing that an addict probably can't. I told him I didnt understand and after he told me he was doing what is best for me and he was the Doctor and If I didnt like it to find a new Doctor....he then told me that if I absolutley could not do it then to call him back. So I am wondering if I can call him and just say look I cant stick to the taper plan. I am scared he is going to treat me like crap again. Is it even worth it or should I just wait until Thursday for my appointment?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:22 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well first of all I don't want to imply that you shouldn't listen to your doctor I certainly haven't been to med school. What I was trying to say however is that if a doctor has any experience with addicts you would think he/she would know that if we could stop taking drugs on our own free will we wouldn't be addicts.... If I were you I'd try and do what he's told you to do if you intend to stick with him and if you're absolutely unable to taper I'd call his office back and go from there. I've always had such a great experience with my doctor's office I hope if you have to call them before Thursday they're willing to try and help you :) Hang in there and let us know how things are going

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:43 am 
So weird. You know what though Kris - I think you can do it. I'm sure it would be really hard with all those pills on hand and for the life of me I can't imagine what this doctor is up to with this plan. But it sounds like this is the only doc available for you for Suboxone, so you've got to try to make it work. I know there have been several other posters on the forum who have docs with some strange practices and they've had to just do a lot of research on their own and kind of feel their own way through their treatment. My doctor is pretty good but if I followed his directions to the letter, I'd still be on 16-24mg of Sub a day. But after doing my own research I've found that I don't need nearly that much. I feel better on a lower dose and it's saving me lots of bucks. I haven't lied to my doctor or anything, but on the other hand I haven't called him and told him every single time I've made a dose adjustment either. I think a lot of us are like that.
I'm thinking that if you can just taper yourself down some and get close to the three/day, you can go in and say "yes I did what you said...now give me my Sub!!" Then you'll be able to put this part behind you and get started on your recovery. I think it's ridiculous that he Rx you so much tylenol that it made you sick! That is so jacked up! Anyway just remind yourself that cutting back your dose is only going to last a short time....you shouldn't be feeling terribly horrible at 3/day....you can do it for a couple of days. Just keep your eye on the prize. It really will be worth it. I agree with you though - you don't want to start off on the wrong foot with this guy if he's your only option. Just be as compliant and cooperative as you can be. Keep trying to do the taper. Is their any way that someone could hold your meds for you and give you your doses? Maybe that would help. Just hang in there. All this will be behind you soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:48 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ok, so he didnt tell me to stop taking the pills at a certain time or anything, but today is the day that I was only supposed to take three and tommorrow I will have none and I have a Dr. appt. at 9:15. I assume he will induce me tomorrow, as he does not communicate to well with me. I took my last pill around 3:30. I took a little more than three today. I tapered down, but didnt taper down as much as he wanted me to. Hopefully, I will be ok for tomorrow, and I will FINALLY get my subs. I have waited SO long! Wish me luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:55 pm 
Good luck tomorrow!

Hopefully you will work your way through this unusual start, and begin your recovery with Suboxone!