It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: this forum is great
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:31 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I posted a while back about my 16 yr old son's addiction and his horrific ride with suboxone. You may recall the doctor he was seeing is a danger. He had my son on 96mg of sub per day which caused crippling headaches, he slept all the time, and I think he was in serious danger. On the advice of this forum, I got him down to 4mg/day, switched doctors and all seemed well. Then he suffered an emotional upset, went off the sub and relapsed.

I had him taken by ambulance to Cincinnati's Children's Medical Center, who alarmingly are totally unprepared to handle issues related to addiction. Thanks to an insightful and compasionate attending physician he was not discharged. She had to play the suicide card to get him admitted. That gave me 72 hours to find a residential rehab facility. If he came home, he would have run away, and I would have found him in jail or the morgue. It was a horrible week: he was so hateful toward me.

The opportunities for residential rehab in the Midwest are limited, to say the least. His new doctor got him into a county facility. We are the only paying clients, and he is the only kid not court ordered to be there due to felony charges. It is costing us $3,000/month. My other choice was a private facility charging $21,000 for the first month and $8,000 every month there after. Who can afford that? Talk about the 99% and the 1%. Also the county facility will let him take sub (we switched to subutex....no headaches); whereas, the private was not cool with sub. Honestly, what do people have to do to get help? A friend who works for our county's drug and alcohol board told me I was screwed when I first told her we had this problem. She said that people who get help are either on medicaid or are independantly wealthy. Everyone in between is hung out to dry. OMG!!

The other problem for parents of addicted teens is that facilities in many states will not hold a kid against his will. Thankfully, although the he facility is in is filthy, smelly, and in a bad neighborhood, my son is staying and doing well. He knows he needs this.

I wrote my state and federal Congress people to let them know about our experience and how bad this problem is. I was suprised to hear back from several. One asked me to talk to the media about the problem. I thought to put in a plug for this forum, but thought I should ask you if you want the publicity. Not that I think a statement to a midwestern paper will rock your world, but I thought I should ask.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I am so sorry for what you and your son has been thru. I have 4 children and can only imagine how scared you must have been. Addiction is such a heart breaking thing. You are an amazing mother and likely saved your son's life.

I am so glad you were able to get him in treatment and found one that allowed him to continue his Subutex. Your son has a life long battle ahead of him and having a mom like you will highly increase his odds for success. You have done everything right and are such a strong advocate for your son.

There is a huge opiate problem in the US, especially with our young people and not nearly enough is being done. I commend you for contacting your senators and congressman. I am also pleased to hear you had a good response. The media needs to be made aware of this and you are doing your part to see that happens. I know you said it was just a mid western newspaper but this disease affects people in all classes and there is a big rise among middle class Americans. Bringing this to your communities attention could help save many lives.

I sincerely wish the best for you and your son, you both deserve happiness!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:27 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

First of all, thanks for the update! It sounds like both of you have come a long way.

I'm happy to hear you became a bit of a political activist thru all of this. I would also encourage you to go to the media with your story. As for bringing attention to this forum...Dr. Junig is always looking to bring more members here. If I were you, I'd also mention his name. Without him, this forum and all of our knowledge wouldn't be here.

Good luck to both of you.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.