It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: THIS IS DRIVING ME NUTS
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:12 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Seriously, I CAN"T TAKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This medication has saved my life. To keep it short, I went from living on the streets, begging for money just so I could get my drugs and NOT BE SICK. Then, I found Suboxone, and I am now a college graduate with 2 degrees...a church going, daily running, happy person... I do NOT get high of my Suboxone!!!! Rather, it makes me feel like I have never done drugs.

Ok, so that's out of the way.

I use Flipboard to stay up to date on everything and anything having to do with "Suboxone" and i am SICK OF SEEING twitter posts saying stuff like "just took a sub film, lets see how this trip goes." WTF!!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!

WHY?!?!!?!?!?!? My gosh. I know it doesn't make me high, because I obviously was addicted enough to need it...but my gosh people are abusing this drug, and it is giving it a bad name...just like methadone. It's just not fair. ITS NOT THE SAME.

I am one of those people that I Think did so much damage to his brain that I need an opiate, every single day, for the rest of my life, to keep me "normal." And my gosh, it keeps me so "normal." -- without making me high. It just .. IS what it IS. I take my medicine each morning without a thought in the world..and I just live my life...

I am afraid that this is going to continue and get worse...and worse..and worse...and sub will be taken off the market, which would be horrible. After over 4 years clean, I can not imagine going back to the life I used to have...

Why do people have to abuse this drug? And why does it make some people high and others like me not high at all.. Honestly, who here gets high off this stuff?

Once again, a loaded post brought by anger. I just need to stop reading about Sub.

Post subject: well...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:42 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

well, not so much anger...mainly a huge frustration. I will just take a deep breath and calm down, lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I don't think sub will ever get taken off the market just because people are abusing them. If that were the case, vicodin, oxy & methadone and anything else for that matter would be history too. It's a money maker and here for the long run. Ignore the idiot trying to get high on whatever they can, we were all there at one point. Just feel sorry for them and move on.

Congrats on your recovery. Sub gave me my life back as well.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Yep
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:56 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

tinydancer wrote:
I don't think sub will ever get taken off the market just because people are abusing them. If that were the case, vicodin, oxy & methadone and anything else for that matter would be history too. It's a money maker and here for the long run. Ignore the idiot trying to get high on whatever they can, we were all there at one point. Just feel sorry for them and move on.

Congrats on your recovery. Sub gave me my life back as well.

Yeah, you're right :) That is all very true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:57 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey maleko,

I've had the same thoughts as you about Suboxone, but I also try to remember that all the while I was abusing pain pills, I was giving pain pills a bad name. There are tons of people who take their pain meds as directed and don't get hooked on them. These people depend on that pain relief, but everytime I'd lie to my doctor or buy pills off the street and get high off of them, I was giving pain meds a bad name. Every day that I abused pain meds, I was making it a little harder for those people who really needed those meds to get them.

Look at the pain pill abuse epidemic in the U.S., I'm partly to blame for it.....I think many of us here are.

I'm not saying that these people abusing Suboxone are right, I'm just saying I can't look down my nose at them when I abused the hell out of other meds that people would say saved their lives.

As far as getting high off of Suboxone, I did. I'll never forget my first dose. It got me high as a Georgia Pine. I was on Suboxone for almost three years and I felt most every one of my doses. Now, after a few weeks, I wasn't really getting that "high" feeling, but I was certainly getting something that I liked.

Also, I used to believe that I had done irreparable damage to my brain and that I would never feel right being off of opiates either, but here I am, almost 2.5 years off of Suboxone and I feel fine. I still have some lingering CNS issues and some body temperature control issues, but they seem to be constanly improving (albeit SLOWLY), but for all intents and purposes, I'm fine.

Post subject: Cool
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:59 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Romeo wrote:
Hey maleko,

I've had the same thoughts as you about Suboxone, but I also try to remember that all the while I was abusing pain pills, I was giving pain pills a bad name. There are tons of people who take their pain meds as directed and don't get hooked on them. These people depend on that pain relief, but everytime I'd lie to my doctor or buy pills off the street and get high off of them, I was giving pain meds a bad name. Every day that I abused pain meds, I was making it a little harder for those people who really needed those meds to get them.

Look at the pain pill abuse epidemic in the U.S., I'm partly to blame for it.....I think many of us here are.

I'm not saying that these people abusing Suboxone are right, I'm just saying I can't look down my nose at them when I abused the hell out of other meds that people would say saved their lives.

As far as getting high off of Suboxone, I did. I'll never forget my first dose. It got me high as a Georgia Pine. I was on Suboxone for almost three years and I felt most every one of my doses. Now, after a few weeks, I wasn't really getting that "high" feeling, but I was certainly getting something that I liked.

Also, I used to believe that I had done irreparable damage to my brain and that I would never feel right being off of opiates either, but here I am, almost 2.5 years off of Suboxone and I feel fine. I still have some lingering CNS issues and some body temperature control issues, but they seem to be constanly improving (albeit SLOWLY), but for all intents and purposes, I'm fine.

Congratulations on stopping! Can I ask what you were taking and for how long?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Like Romeo, I have stopped sub too (although not nearly as much time yet.) Was on it for 6 years and thought I'd never get off (was on methadone for a couple years before that and reg opiates for years before that.) My brain is healing just fine. Don't write yourself off completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:13 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I think the problem is that with pain pills, they've been around forever and their abuse is nothing new. With Suboxone, it's still a relatively new drug in the U.S. (most people don't even know what it is), and it's being prescribed for something a lot of people think is unnecessary. No one will argue against using oxycodone to treat pain. But there are people who think addicts should just go to rehab, NA or whatever and not use a replacement drug at all. That is what worries me — making those people understand, especially if they hold positions of power.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That's an excellent point surgerybound.

maleko, I started taking drugs when I was 17. I didn't stop until age 43. Over that time I abused most every drug known to mankind, but my favorites were weed, cocaine and opiates. I got on opiates at age 29, abused the hell outta those suckers, got on Suboxone at age 40, then quit at age 43.

Post subject: Awesome
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:06 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

That is awesome. Maybe I could stop eventually. I guess the way I see it right now is why stop something when I am on the fast track towards success, but you guys have given me hope that perhaps I could stop...I mean, now that I have been clean so long and my life is completely different, I can't really imagine ever going back to where I was.....So maybe soon it will be time to start weaning down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

surgerybound wrote:
I think the problem is that with pain pills, they've been around forever and their abuse is nothing new. With Suboxone, it's still a relatively new drug in the U.S. (most people don't even know what it is), and it's being prescribed for something a lot of people think is unnecessary. No one will argue against using oxycodone to treat pain. But there are people who think addicts should just go to rehab, NA or whatever and not use a replacement drug at all. That is what worries me — making those people understand, especially if they hold positions of power.

I understand your point and I guess anything is really possible. Methadone is nothing new though and abusing methadone is nothing new. The way I see it, the powerful people you speak of are the pharma companies and anything relatively safe making them money, is probably here to stay.. But I think all points on this are valid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:56 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

[font=Comic Sans MS]Hi Maleko~ I started a thread on this very topic months ago. And I felt the same way that you do.
What I try to remnd myself now, is that these people are sick. Just as sick as you and I were. They are
going to try and abuse everything that they can get their hands on.
I was just as frustrated as you. This drug has not only saved my life, it has given me back a sense of
normalcy. So when I read about people using it to get high, and whatnot, it used to infuriate me.
Now, I just look at them as sick addicts, just like us. Only they aren't as lucky as you and I to have
gotten help yet. Ya know?
Congratulations by the way on all your time clean! And wow, look at all of the changes you have made
in your life, in that time! What an inspiration you are! You just keep on charging forward in your life,
and maybe try to not read so much of the garbage :wink: on line. LOL! I had to stop doing that because
it just made me irritated.
Good Luck to you, and again, CONGRATULATIONS!!!![/font]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:09 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

tinydancer wrote:
surgerybound wrote:

I understand your point and I guess anything is really possible. Methadone is nothing new though and abusing methadone is nothing new. The way I see it, the powerful people you speak of are the pharma companies and anything relatively safe making them money, is probably here to stay.. But I think all points on this are valid.

Actually, the "powerful people" I had in mind were those in government (and to a lesser extent, law enforcement). I live in South Florida, where there has been a huge crackdown on pain-management clinics, ostensibly to "save lives." However, it hasn't gotten any easier for people to get on Suboxone. Just the opposite, from my own experience. I just wish it was known how beneficial Suboxone is as a long-term solution for those, like me, who need it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:03 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hey man I mos def agree with you. I take one and a half of the 8mg film each day and I in NO way shape or form get any sort of high! Well I take that back, what it does give me, makes me High on LIFE itself! And I love it! This drug really did save my life been on it for about a year now and have no regrets. Like you said I wake up put a strip under my tounge and i say bring on the day! I feel completely normal and that makes me VERY VERY HAPPY even if there are shitty things happening around me or even to me i stay happy. And also like you i have ZERO THOUGHT about going back to my old life taking them damn roxys. I now ask myself, "What the hell was i thinking?!?!?" i mean, REALLY??? So yeahI couldnt imagine going back to that old lifestyle, nor would i wish it upon anyone. Cause life is and gets SOOOO much better when you leave that shit behind and do right for yourself. Im proud of myself, and you should be proud of urself as well!! And once again, NO HIGH HERE! except the high on life ;) take care! and keep up the good work my friend!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I don't think they would ever take Suboxone off the market in the States. Mind you, I'm not from the US. If they're going to take Suboxone off the market, they'd sooner take methadone off the market because it has more potential for abuse.

What they'd probably do before that is do what they do in the UK or Australia ... and have people require getting their dosed dispensed regularly from a pharmacist or clinic... kinda like methadone. And only those that have proved themselves to be reliable and committed to recovery can get the usual monthly scripts.

Mind you, I'm not from the States. I just don't think they'd take something completely off the market when it has so much benefit. There's ways to minimise abuse without going that far.