It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Thinking about Rossma!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:14 am 
Hey Rossma,

I am up late tonight and I was thining about you. Today is offically your surgery date!!! I just read your update in the thread below....I am so glad you posted and have found support here. I hope all goes well for you and can't wait to read about your experience in the hospital. You did all you could to prepare for a difficult time.....now God has you in his hands. Update us when you can!!!! Kire

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:32 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hello Rosma,

Just wanted to say good luck today! We are all thinking and praying for your speedy recovery! I hope all is going well :) :)

Post subject: I'm back!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:40 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hello everyone,

This is the first time I have been able to bend my knee enough to sit at the computer for any length of time. It’s been 18 days since my surgery.

Before going in I had been able to decrease my Suboxone dose to 4 mg (from 24 mg) per day. Even though my doctor had recommended that I just stay on the usual dose and they would give me pain meds as needed, I felt that I should try to decrease as much as possible. I took 4 mg for the 3 days prior to surgery.

They did a nerve block and left it in for 3 days and it was supposed to make my right leg completely numb. I don’t know what went wrong with this, maybe it was due to previous back surgery, but anyhow, it did not work at all.

I had the surgery on Monday morning, and woke up from it screaming in agony. This went on for two days. My husband said that everyone was running around and trying to figure out what they could do to help me. He said that the staff kept coming down and looking in my room to see what was going on because of all the screaming. They couldn’t believe that the block didn’t work – they told him that leg should be numb. They were giving me Dilaudid 1 mg IV every hour, plus Ativan, Valium, whatever. Also Oxycontin 20 mg 2 X daily and Oxycodone 5 mg every 4 hours. It did nothing. I just remember rolling around on the bed and screaming that I should never have had the surgery done. By Wednesday the Suboxone started to wear off. They hooked me up to a Dilaudid PCA set to deliver a dose every 6 minutes, and I was pressing the button as often as I could. Also I was still on the oxy, and they were giving me Ativan and Lyrica. The pain was better so that I could stop screaming, get up in the chair and managed to walk to the bathroom. They were not giving me and Suboxone at all, but I didn’t care at that point as I just wanted to get out of the pain.

On Friday I was discharged with an rx for Oxycontin 20 mg 2 X daily, an rx for 80 Oxycodone pills, and a rx that I had gotten from my Dr. before surgery for Oxycodone 10 mg/Acetominophen 325 mg. I was hooked up to the IV PCA until 5 minutes before I went home. After I got home I started to have pain so I started popping the pills. I felt the old compulsion coming back, and started to take more and more and more and more. The more I took, the pain was better, but I knew I was abusing the pills horribly and at the rate I was going I would run out soon. I had fear and anxiety. Every 2 hours I could feel the pills wearing off and would start the cold sweats, so I would take more. I knew I would have to go through w/d, and I was scared to death. I hate that feeling and I hope I never have to feel it again. The dread of it is awful. I knew that I was so full of opiates that I was going to have to w/d from them. On Tuesday I couldn’t take it anymore and decided to do it

I flushed the remaining pills, and waited. The w/d symptoms were awful as always, and I felt like I wanted to die. My mood was depressed, and I was dripping with cold sweat. The pain in my knee was horrendous. I couldn’t talk, and did not eat or do anything. I rode it out for 24 hours and then started to take tiny little pieces of Suboxone, gradually increasing the dose to 24 mg/day over the following few days. It wasn’t until this last Monday that I began to feel human again.

I am back on the Suboxone now and I feel normal again. I am getting around well with the walker and I start PT tomorrow. I am so grateful to be on this drug. It is a miracle. If I had to go through life like I was, I don’t think I could stand it. The fear of w/d is so overwhelming, and I will never forget that awful feeling as I looked at my pill bottles and realized what I had done to myself and what I had to experience as a consequence.

I saw my surgeon on Tuesday and he was absolutely shocked to hear that I had been off the pain meds for a week. I told him that they are like poison to me and I had to get off them as soon as possible. He said that he was very impressed. I had him, the PA, and the nurse in the room with me, and evidently I had been quite the topic of conversation as they had never had a patient who had so much intractable post-op pain. I was very grateful that I had given them all the article beforehand. I know that they understood the situation, were very concerned and that they did everything in their power to help me.

If anyone is considering major surgery, my advice would be to get off the Suboxone completely for several days prior. I don’t mean to scare anyone, but I have had 2 c-sections, labor, a hysterectomy, and an L5 S1 spinal fusion in my back, and I have never, ever experienced such horrific pain as I did for those first two days.

Anyhow, I feel that the worst is over now, thank God. Of course the knee still hurts but nothing I can’t stand. I was thinking of you all and wanted to get on here when I was going through the w/d, but I couldn’t even bring myself to turn on the computer. Thank you for all of your good thoughts and wishes.

With love and gratitude,

Rossma

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi and welcome back, Rossma,

I'm so sorry to hear things were so bad post-op. You sound like I did when I woke up from my hysterectomy - I couldn't stop screaming, too (of course this was way before my addiction). Anyway, I say that because I know what it's like to hurt THAT badly.

I also remember the feeling of taking too many pills after my April procedure. That old feeling with all its compulsions comes crashing back so very quickly, doesn't it? I'm happy that you took control of the situation and got back on suboxone when you felt the need. You just never know what could have happened.

It's always good advice to taper down as low as possible before surgery for those of us on sub and to stop taking it 2-3 days before the procedure/operation. It's even more important for people like you and me who take a rather high dose.

So good to hear you are finally feeling better. Glad you came back to update us. Take care and keep feeling better.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:11 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Wow! rossma just wow!
I'm so sorry to hear of how bad this turned out!I know if I ever have to have surgery I will stop the Subutex 3 days before as I sure don't want that to happen to me.

Now!What matters most is you got through it and are stable on Suboxone again.
I really believe in what doesn't kill us makes us stronger in most cases.

Now go and get that PT done and walk good again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:06 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Oh, man, what a horror story! I'm so sorry you had to go through that.

Gotta be honest here: I would SUE that hospital for the failed nerve block. That is absolutely UNACCEPTABLE :evil:

I'm glad you're ok now, but this whole thing makes me angry and I didn't even go through it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:35 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

This is exceedingly scarey to me because it sounds like, from all these posts I've read that one needs to go MONTHS without being on sub in order to not be in horrible terrifying pain...wow. I have a knee surgery I've been putting off and well. I think I will just continue in doing so. Poor Rossma cant even imagine..=(