It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:03 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hatmaker510 wrote:
Quote:
"...when my Doctor asked me "so do you consider yourself an independent person?" I said yes of course. He said "Well no you're not, you come see me every month, you depend on me to write these medications for you."

That's the biggest bunch of bullshit I've heard in a long while!!! What about my anti-depressants or my beta blocker? I go to my doctor at regular increments (same as my sub - q 3 mos) to get my scripts. Does that make me not independent? If I were to stop those meds suddenly, guess what? I'd feel that, too!

Taking a pill we get from a doctor doesn't have shit to do with being independent or not. What a fucking asshole your doctor is, excuse me for saying.

First, sorry I haven't checked in for a bit, I appreciate the responses. and yes I agree with this quote above. It just held some weight with me maybe cause I was young and trying to grow up to be a man. I don't know if I mentioned or not, I don't go to that Dr. anymore!! and what's funny is while I was on pain pills like Hydro I really liked this guy. He was the only Doctor to tell me I'm only hurting my self (but yet he KNOWS I have a chronic pain issue) To be honest I think he wanted to get me off "pills" and start charging me for some of his expensive "new" methods of treating pain. He was telling me about all these shots you can take once a week, etc. but I'm like no thanks just please write my pills. That's how I thought at every doc though. Now that I have been on Subutex for a while I get a TON more respect when going to a new Doctors (Dentist, Psych, Chiro, etc).

I would be lying to say I wasn't addicted to the Oxy/Hydrocodone meds, but I did originally get prescribed Oxycontin for my foot! I HAD NO IDEA I was basically taking Heroin everyday. I was so in denial when people would try to tell me what it was... Cause in my head I'm thinking "yeah right, I don't even feel anything, this is EVEN CLOSE to Heroin" But then probably like everyone else... realized QUICKLY what they actually were dependent on. I remember just being so irritable and if I had pain I would get bummed out, so I slowly started taking them more often not know what the heck I was getting into.

Some people keep saying the Devil gave us Suboxone, but I believe it's from God!!
Like someone was stating, when you're on pills (hydro/oxy/codone) all you do is worry about running out of medication, even a month in advance. and then your life is CONSUMED by pills and you start doing less and less. You sleep a lot, stop caring about things (including children) and just become unhealthy in general.
NOW... on Suboxone... you have the SAME MOM spending 10x more time with her kid, she is living a healthy lifestyle and has motivation to keep improving her lifestyle, she's not sleeping as much, more productive, no longer selfish... HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN THAT ?!
I definitely feel like Suboxone is 100x more beneficial than hurtful. Not to mention popping pills ANY day you could not wake up!! It's not always overdoses either! I have seen far too many kids in Huntington Beach not wake up because they were taking cocktails of Oxy/Norcos/Xanax/ & Alcohol.
I've never heard of anyone not waking up while stabilized on Suboxone. I honestly don't listen to any advice from anyone including my Doctors if they haven't tried Suboxone themselves. Some Doctors get it and study their patients to see what it actually does but still the best people to talk to are the ones who've taken it, not just read about it.

thanks again guys for all the help, I have been super busy lately. My Grandma pass on May 11.... so tonight I'm flying to IN to visit my Grandpa for 2 weeks. I will have plenty of computer time out there.

I actually want to make a thread/or post in a thread about my new generic Subutex. I was just recently switched from Roxanne Labs to TEVA. I remember TEVA from the pill popping days and I always thought it was a crappy brand?! I also find the taste is a lil more bitter, and the compound of the pill seems lighter weight. It always is harder to break apart despite being lighter and dissolving quicker. I also have the weird feeling I'm kind of "high". I don't like it because I found myself itching a lot and it reminded me of that crazy side effect of pain pills where you itch nonstop! I think it might just be in my head but I didn't like the taste, to me it tasted a lil more like the time I tried Methadone and it had this NASTY artificial taste!! I kind of tasted something similar in these TEVAS. I'm just probably worrying too much due to my anxiety AND THE FACT I've gotten generic Roxanne Subutex for the last 2 years straight!!! I just switched to Walgreens from CVS because I saw the price was 15 bucks cheaper ($127 at Walgreens & $144 at CVS). I've been going to CVS for the last 3 years and I got really used to Roxanne. I like how the pill is a circle because I make #30 8mg tablets last me 3-4 months! I only take 2-4 maximum mgs a day so its become routine to break them into 4's. Then I usually take the 4 pieces and break them into 2 doses for the day. I've been doing this for years and don't like change. Now I see these TEVAS are oval shaped just like the BRAND NAME Subutex but now I don't like the oval. Its now changed my routine how I split the dosages and like I said, they don't break apart as evenly as the Roxanne. Maybe this is all in my head??? I haven't done any web searching yet because I'll probably convince myself they are no good. Wait did I just post a new thread topic in this thread...lol sorry it's hard to stop typing once I start!

Post subject: ooops I forgot something
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:10 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

When you really think about it... aren't WE ALL dependent?

Farmers are dependent on their animals & farm.

People in general are dependent on Grocery stores to provide food.

I think you are right my Doctor was just being an asshole even though he might have thought he was helping me.

Post subject: Good post
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

tearj3rker wrote:
The opposite of independent is dependent. We are dependent on Suboxone, ie we need Suboxone to get by on a daily basis, unless we're willing to endure withdrawal. So by proxy we are dependent on those who provide it, our doctors, the pharmacies and the manufacturers. This is the reality of our situation.

By being further dependent on others, as we are by being dependent on medications (be they Suboxone or anti-depressants or insulin), we do add a layer of dependence... so in turn it erodes some of our independence.

What your (hockeyplayer17)'s doctor said isn't completely true though, in that if people on Suboxone are not independent, then NOBODY is independent. Everyone depends on the supermarket for food, and the taps for water, and the servo for petrol, and depends their wives to drop the kids off in the morning just as they depend on you to pick-them up at 3:30pm. Nobody is 100% independent.

But by being on Suboxone, we add another layer of dependence into our lives. So we are in a way less independent than if we were not on Suboxone.

That said your doctor sounds like an ass... It's almost like he's said it to show what kinda power he has over you... Reminds me a bit of this asshole physician assistant we had grace this board once upon a time. :roll:

Good post. I agree I think my Doctor was trying to make me feel like shit in hopes of me improving my life. But I'm not the type that you "break down to build back up again". I'm an emotional and sensitive person even though I might not show it. I am VERY realistic with myself and tend to doubt myself more than confide within so I do struggle with insecurities and I don't like hearing anything negative like that. I'm also the type of guy that holds a lot of guilt and pressure to complete things so that's why I believe I really figured out this whole "treatment" for opiate medicines.

Off topic, but I don't buy the whole "addiction is a disease" bull crap. To me, it just seems like a giant reason to relapse and get high!! They say "oh it's normal to have cravings and relapse, you'll be dealing with it for the rest of your life" . I'm sorry but I just don't buy it. Sure you can call it a disease but then EVERYTHING is a disease. People are a disease...lol. I just see so many BOGUS stuff that they wrap up into the "addiction is a disease" because really all they are doing is making BILLIONS from people in "recovery". Does recovery work? absolutely. But the thing is... they tell you once you become addicted you will be dealing with it your entire life, so don't try to ignore it. etc. etc. I just can't buy it. It seems they got everyone caught on the meds which is a multi billion dollar industry, and now everyone is banking on the recovery side of it. Of course I am exaggerating a few things here but I don't like the "recovery" methods used by Dr. Drew Pinsky or others (might I add Dr. Drew doesn't believe in Suboxone). I think they should get people in recovery for cheeseburgers as well because they will kill you over time ad well!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I don't like using the word "disease" when talking about addiction either. But I do think it is a chronic, lifetime condition for myself. I just think it's a little insulting to people who actually do have real diseases that they didn't choose, and can't do anything about. Because I did choose each and every time to hit the pipe, or pop the pills, or whatever drug I was doing at the time. And I can choose to stop doing it.

I take full responsibility for my addiction, and refuse to say that I am powerless over it, or to turn it over to a higher power, which is why I will never participate in NA or AA.

Not to make light of addiction, or say that it is easy to stop doing drugs, because it is absolutely not. It is the hardest thing I've ever gone through. But people with cancer and other diseases don't have the option to chose to not have cancer.

JUST MY OPINION.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Not as if any one reads what's at the bottom...

I thought the same way for a while. i've been on sub for 4 years. But there are some things that bother me.

` $200 every month.
`doctors visit every month
`what if i move
` what if suboxone like heroin is outlawed one day as a treatment for opiate abuse
` being addicted to something

Don't get me wrong though suboxone saved me from a lot worse. But now i feel its done its job and time to move on. I'm in my early 30's now and i want my sex drive back. I want to smell the air and hear music for what it is. This stuff dulls my senses.

Anyway i'm not trying to dissuade your decision. If it works keep taking it. If you get to the point like i did find a way out whether taper or something else. But either way God Bless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:07 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Quote:
` being addicted to something

Don't you mean being "dependent" on something? You really aren't "addicted" to suboxone - just dependent. You were addicted to your DOC. Remember what you did to get it and what it did to ruin your life? THAT is being addicted to something. Suboxone, well, it's just a dependency.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I got to read all the post but just a reply to the tittle/question. No I will not take methadone or any opiate replacement medication for the rest of my life. And i have serious chronic pain but i rather be in pain for the rest of my life than being addicted/dependant on a opiate period! This is my opinion and believes that by saying u will take this medication for the rest of your life is letting the addiction win, and taking the easy way out. Recovery is hard work and we all know that if it was easy we wouldn't be here but you have to have the ultimate goal of no longer needing a medication like this to stay clean and live a normal life WITHOUT DRGS. And we could all sit here and lie to ourselves but we are addicted to these medications without them we can not live we can not work, go to school, raise a family, be anything BC we would be to sick. And I know many of u say addicted and dependent are a different thing but in my eyes its all the same. I mean look at how many threads we have about people losing there meds or there stolen and so forth. Look at how they react the fear the worry that's how any addict would react including myself, and the relief we get when the Dr understands and gives u a new script for that month. That relief is the same as when your connect calls u back or when u get your new script from the pain doctor. On these drugs we still have many similaritys of are old self. Yes we are able to better ourselves on these drugs and that's a great thing a real good thing. But nonetheless we can't go about bettering ourselves without these drugs in our system and to me that's being addicted to something. You cannot go about your day without them and if you don't have them we are a mess even before the WDs kick in we r in a panicked state of mind like we would be if we didn't have are fix for the day. I guess what it comes down to is we still are on opiates but we are taken them responsibility and in the right state of mind.

And yes these drugs did safe our life but does that men we have to give the rest of our life to these drug?